Photo
- - - - -

Ignition Problems Now!

Best Answer foggy , 14 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. I ordered a new module and that was it. Fitted tge module and shes purring away now :) Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Right thanks guys, just never heard them called that before.i will take a look tomorrow.

#17 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:07 AM

This morning i checked the resistance on the coil and its ahowing 3.3 ohms so i guess that can be ruled out.if it is an issue with the trigger in the dizzy can it be replaced or is it time for a new dizzy? :(

#18 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

The electronic ignition kit you are using is aftermarket and builds into the dizzy so it's easy to replace bits. Just take the cap off and look inside.

#19 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Link to test the Hall Trigger Unit is in my post no9 try that. While you there check the carbom brush inside the cap, look for tracking/cracking of the cap and rotor arm

#20 freaker

freaker

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: mini fun club belguim

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

i also had one of the dizzys you have from simonbbc, mine worked after a few issues. then we changed the head and she wouldn't spark.

if you search under my name you will find the topic not so long ago. it was the module that was faulty in the distributor.

i got a replacement of them but already purchased a powerspark unit. complete unit dizzy and module and never looked back, much better built quality.

there is test when you put a sparkplug in the lead coming from the coil. put it against a good earth and then get a wire from the plus side or the negative side cant remember anymore( its in that topic kerniwcooper gave the idea for the test) you switch your ignition on. and then make a swift contact with the wire againt an earth point and if the plug sparks its the distributor.

freaker

#21 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I have got a mate at work to sort me a bulb and soldered on wires to it so will be doing the Hall trigger test later.

The simonbbc dizzy has been good for a number of years, i will call them if it's the trigger and see how much it'l all cost me. hope it's not much!

#22 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Also to be clear on the Hall test.where you have said put the positive from the bulb onto the 12v.is that the centre of the coil and then the earth wire from the bulb to the negative terminal on the coil then crank? And presuming if it doesnt flash on and off its going to be the trigger wheel that needs to be replaced?

#23 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

Right.i have just done the hall test.i put a negative from a bulb to the neg terminal on the coil.i then put the positive in the centre of the coil(where the king lead goes and get nothing. I then put the same wire on the positive terminal of the coil.and the bulb flashed on once then nothing after that. I did both ways as i wasnt sure which point i had to put the main wire from my bulb..... And my team of leccy experts say? :)

#24 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

Bulb goes + and - of coil and you crank the car over, bulb flashes on/off trigger working, no flashing on/off trigger faulty ;D

Edited by KernowCooper, 12 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#25 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Ok thanks.well I got one flash then no more. So trigger faulty? Could it potentially be the module?

#26 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Il make that clearer.everytime I crank I get one flash as it initially turns. It did it a few times..just incase the previous post makes you think the bulb blew lol

#27 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

First I think you need to know the centre terminal of the coil fires the sparks at around 30,000 (yes thirty thousand) volts rather than 12. Don't play with it. Bad for the tiny bulb, but potentially worse for you.

I'd say it's the module myself, did you take a look inside it?

#28 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yeah I did keep my fingers out of there.
I did and it looked normal to be honest but what can you tell whats going on inside that little black box. When I phoned simonbbc who I got the powerspark unit from they did say they thought it to be the module and that the trigger wheel rarely goes.however the module is 25 quid and the trigger about 3 quid so might just go for both.

#29 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:34 AM   Best Answer

Thanks for all your help guys. I ordered a new module and that was it. Fitted tge module and shes purring away now :)

#30 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Its nice to report back your findings so others can see the problem and the test of the module, thanks for that glad your sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users