#166 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:05 PM

Mine where bought around 2 years ago then actually fitted just under a year ago where it's sat on axle stands in the garage since 

#167 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:03 AM

Apparently Japan is the place to be for rubber. But I have not actually seen or held any of them in my hands, and they cost an arm and a leg.

#168 dodge44

dodge44

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

<snip>
The other problem is say you produce excellent quality and add say 50%.shortly all the tat suppliers will match your price.You do not always get better by paying more.Just my classic car experience.Steve..

Too true - CZH3508 Mk1 rubber seat diaphragms are a prime example of this. Ebay has a raft of listings for these at just over £30 which a nice discount on the price charged for the quality Newton commercial version. However the one I've seen bought from an Ebay seller was inferior and available elsewhere for just £12. OK if you paying the later price as you are taking a punt but to sell them near the quality item price is not on. In this case though the rubber on them seems OK but the new clips are not as stiff as they should be and they bend. You can make it work with a few of the original clips instead but the real problem is the wires imbedded in the rubber itself which distort. Only time will tell - Not collapsed yet but the omens are not good.

#169 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

I've been able to get some very good quality rubbers from M-parts, but they only have a very small range and their stock holdings don't appear to be too big, so they may not have what you want when you need it. Their ordering system is also 'quaint' to put it mildly, so be a little patient. They are lovely people to deal with though. It's really only lower arm, radius arm and rebound stops they have, though, they might have others.

The others I get ex-Japan, though again, be warned, they are not crazy able dealing with people who don't or can't communicate in Japanese, so some patience is needed here to.

The funny thing is with UK rubbers is on the larger scale, we can get high quality rubber cones (granted, these comes through M-parts), Competition Bump Stops, Gear Shifter Bushings and a few other 'select' rubbers, but the faster moving suspension and CV rubbers are little more than powdered dust in a bag, so the throw away line of 'all rubbers / modern rubber are like this' I'm sorry, I just can't buy in to. We buy new cars and the rubbers aren't falling out in the lot or years later. Quality rubber is still produced and used, it's just for what ever reason, the classic car market seems to have been flooded with this dreadful rubbish over the past few years.

#170 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

Looks like this is a Japanese parts supplier.

http://classicminisjapan.com/

#171 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

Another one for the fuel filler rubber. Very annoying.

#172 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:37 PM

I've been using Japanese rubber products from Classic Minis Japan Far superior quality    https://www.facebook...ewAndUsedParts/

#173 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:01 AM

Some of those Japanese components look amazing. I like the idea of the 12 slot castle nut.

#174 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:12 AM

Regarding rubber clubman radiator cowl piece thing. Hard to put on and now I've got it over the corners keep coming off and it has split there as well

#175 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 02:46 PM

Just a heads up, these are now high quality Japanese rubber 2A7327 - Mini seal dust excluder radius/upper arm (minispares.com)

#176 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 05:38 PM

Still using my original 1983 South African rubbers, the MiniSpares ones were definitely not good :D

#177 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 06:14 PM

Just a heads up try using 30mm I/D silicon hose slice off as required and its super tuff

#178 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 13 October 2023 - 02:54 AM

It has nothing to do with suppliers as they will all get their parts from similar manufacturers.
The decline in rubber quality is mainly due to the removal of lead from the manufacturing process of rubber. Of course we will all live longer now so more time to replace poor rubber components.

#179 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 October 2023 - 10:09 AM

OE manufacturers have no difficulty with rubber or flexible parts so it can be done.The willingness to pay? Or small volumes? Or CBA? Leads to classic car components failing.Steve..

#180 bluequinn

bluequinn

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:16 AM

Somerford Minis sell some of the Japanese rubber parts under the Valtain brand name - gaiters, track rod ends, floor mats etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users