37 replies to this topic

#31 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

If you need to get a high build then upol reface builds very thick but needs about 2.5 needle on spraygun, normal 2k high build is good though or put a skim of upol liquid gold over roof and flat it back.
Your painter should know best way to tackle it though. Just don't use 1k products for a very high build as they will sink when other coats applied

#32 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Local Club: 42nd Street (back in day)

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

If you need to get a high build then upol reface builds very thick but needs about 2.5 needle on spraygun, normal 2k high build is good though or put a skim of upol liquid gold over roof and flat it back.
Your painter should know best way to tackle it though. Just don't use 1k products for a very high build as they will sink when other coats applied

Let's say 1k high build primer was used, could this sink when 2k Base coat/clearcoat applied causing this ripple effect, dented look

#33 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,060 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Sorry to be blunt (again) but if your painter can't get a simple job like a roof correct, then find a competent painter who knows what he is doing.

#34 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

He told me he thinks it's the metal on the roof,now I cannot say about the metal, as it's always had paint on it. He says it turned out like it has after removing layers of paint from the roof, saying it must of had all these layers of paint to smooth out the ripples/dings.??
I have not got any idea if the metal was damaged in the past, so cannot really argue until I find out why it's like it is now.

#35 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

From the picture it just looks like orange peel effect, can't really see dents but that's probably the picture?

I would be asking how he took it back to bare metal, with a DA sander?
If so this would have shown any dents as the DA would have albeit a small flat surface that would leave paint in any deep hollows suggesting a dent that needs filler before paint

Maybe a question to ask?

From what I've read, my taking on it is you have a mate who has sprayed a few cars that look good and is willing to do the mini for a cheap price, sounds like it's being a headache but it's all part of the learning, when I sprayed my mini and ended up with a spider web crazing effect due to sanding through the 2k primer when flating back to the halfords etch primer and the top colour coat reacted with the halfords etch primer, I spent hours researching to find out what went wrong before biting the bullet to start again, so on went primer AGAIN. Hang in there it's all part of the DIY approach really:)

There's only one way to learn and that's to get stuck in so fair play to you both

#36 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: Otago Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

I had this issue when the front right wing of my Skyline was repainted after a repair. Because I used to use apply tyre shine quite liberally, it of course, flung off at speed, and as this was a quick-turnaround job very little actually went into the prep process. Without the use of a wax and grease remover the silicone remained on the panel, and the spots caused tiny random dimples to appear in the paint, not enough to notice, but once you got right up close you could see them, there were probably about 20 in all, all about 1mm, in random areas on the wing.

Even if you don't think you've had any sort of silicone or similar chemicals come in contact with the body before paint it pays to give everything a good wipe down with professional grade wax and grease remover.

Roof looks like it was perhaps sanded unevenly, poor application of paint/primer or it could actually be what my painter mate refers to as "shrinkback", for want of a better term, which is where the paint flattens as it cures on the surface, bringing out any imperfections underneath.

Edited by AGRO_RB, 16 July 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#37 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Roof looks like it was perhaps sanded unevenly, poor application of paint/primer or it could actually be what my painter mate refers to as "shrinkback", for want of a better term, which is where the paint flattens as it cures on the surface, bringing out any imperfections underneath.

I think it may have been sanded back uneven personally, and then when the paints cured showed up like you said.So both I reckon

#38 henri1972

henri1972

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

it looks to me that when the primer was flatted it was done without a block so the pressure of the fingers being uneven causes ripples you need a block at least 600mm long to flat a roof if you flat it as is with a block you will see the low spots and flat until they have gone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users