22 replies to this topic

#1 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

I've recently bought a rover mini neon 1991 which has 7x13 rims and has gaz coilovers in the rear. When the car is driven it usually has 3 people in it, my dad brother and me. When going round sharp bends and going over even the slightest bump the tyres rub on the arches.( this must have been happening a while since it's wearing through the metal). The car fills with smoke and makes it quite a discomfort ride. At the moment the coilovers are on their highest ride height and the damper is at its hardest. What can I do to stop this happening? Thanks

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Fit longer coilovers for more arch clearance or fit narrower wheels. 

The inner arches on a Mini were designed to fit 3.5" wide wheels so fitting 7" wide wheels is always going to cause clearance issues.

Edited by Tupers, 20 July 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#3 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

The easiest way is to convert back to rubber and cone suspension as originally fitted. The rubber is progressive with load so copes much better. If you fit hiLos you will be able to dial in a height to suit. Is it on Coilovers at the front as well? If not, then the car won't feel very good to drive as the different springs types will act in totally different ways.

#4 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Cones on the front and coilovers at the back. It doesn't seem to be a bad drive though. Does anyone have coilovers on Their mini which have any advise to how they are set up?

#5 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Cones on the front and coilovers at the back. It doesn't seem to be a bad drive though. Does anyone have coilovers on Their mini which have any advise to how they are set up?

Cones on the front and coilovers at the back. It doesn't seem to be a bad drive though. Does anyone have coilovers on their mini which have any advise to how they are set up

#6 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ensure your bump stops are correctly fitted, this should eliminate unneccesary clashing of the suspension components.

For set up, get the car corner weighted, this envolves putting the car on a set of scales. as you wind the coilover/hi-low up and down it applys more pressure over the ground. Even weight will allow the more even, predictable drive and better handing characteristics.

#7 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Ensure your bump stops are correctly fitted, this should eliminate unneccesary clashing of the suspension components.

For set up, get the car corner weighted, this envolves putting the car on a set of scales. as you wind the coilover/hi-low up and down it applys more pressure over the ground. Even weight will allow the more even, predictable drive and better handing characteristics.

he has lalready put them to highest ride height and hardest damper settings. Not much in the way of basic setup is going to help that unfortunately.

#8 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

he has lalready put them to highest ride height and hardest damper settings. Not much in the way of basic setup is going to help that unfortunately.
. Would higher spring rates help?

#9 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

I guess your right, it might be the fact too softer spring was supplied with the kit initially.

Of course with the price of coilovers on the mini market, its doubtful these springs are the best solution. not enough rising rate compression is possible but this'll also lead to a harsher ride.

#10 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I guess your right, it might be the fact too softer spring was supplied with the kit initially.
Of course with the price of coilovers on the mini market, its doubtful these springs are the best solution. not enough rising rate compression is possible but this'll also lead to a harsher ride.

that will be the problem, there is so little travel that a new spring would need to be very hard which won't help the handling and road holding. It would sort of solve the problem, but the same money could get rubber back on.

#11 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

that will be the problem, there is so little travel that a new spring would need to be very hard which won't help the handling and road holding. It would sort of solve the problem, but the same money could get rubber back on.
how much would a pair of cones set me back?

#12 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

£40 each plus the cost of hiLos which will add another £40 ish. Or use standard cones which will cost you about £10 second hand. It will sit high for a while until they bed in.

Cones:
http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

#13 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

£40 each plus the cost of hiLos which will add another £40 ish. Or use standard cones which will cost you about £10 second hand. It will sit high for a while until they bed in.
Cones:http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop
to expensive to fit hi lows, I've seen some pregresive springs for £30 each so ill try these out

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Coil springs will never be as good as rubber cone springs because they are true rising-rate springs designed specifically for the Mini.

Mini springs must be true 'rising rate' due to the short suspension travel.

Coil springs are really for racing where a very high-rate spring is used to reduce initial body roll on totally smooth race tracks. Otherwise they offer no improvement and are usually not as good as rubber springs.

Edited by Cooperman, 20 July 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#15 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

As far as keeping the coilovers for price reasons whats the best thing I can do? Higher spring rates, larger bumps stops

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users