Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Put the passengers on a diet? Other than that you will be spending money with little chance of success. You could try contacting Gaz technical dept, but in my experience with them, they were worse than useless. Especially when discussing spring and damper rates for specific applications. I very much got the feeling they only sold what was on the shelf. You could try Kevin at Protech, he is a top bloke and could advise some new springs perhaps. I would still be looking down the rubber route if it was me.

#17 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Will the cones provide enough clearance with the wheels been quite large?

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Of course they will. They sit inside the envelope of the rear sub-frame. The rear wheel clearance issue is usually the clearance between the radius arm and the tyre.

Whatever you do, there may well still be a problem with the tyre hitting the wheel arch on 'bump'  and the only solution might be a body modification to re-shape the basic wheel arch. This would be expensive, but modifications often do involve spending a lot of cash. However, rubber cone springs may well eliminate the problem.

Very wide wheels on a road car do tend to throw up problems.

#19 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

Ensure your bump stops are correctly fitted, this should eliminate unneccesary clashing of the suspension components.

For set up, get the car corner weighted, this envolves putting the car on a set of scales. as you wind the coilover/hi-low up and down it applys more pressure over the ground. Even weight will allow the more even, predictable drive and better handing characteristics.

He is running completely non standard components?

Winding the coilover up or down won't make an ounce of difference to individual ground pressure (within reason) - only way to change that is to change the C of G of the car.

#20 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Ensure your bump stops are correctly fitted, this should eliminate unneccesary clashing of the suspension components.

For set up, get the car corner weighted, this envolves putting the car on a set of scales. as you wind the coilover/hi-low up and down it applys more pressure over the ground. Even weight will allow the more even, predictable drive and better handing characteristics.

Winding the coilover up or down won't make an ounce of difference to individual ground pressure (within reason) - only way to change that is to change the C of G of the car.

Umm... It does work that way...

http://robrobinette....rner_weight.htm

Easier than me typing it out... read that

or watch that

Edited by mini93, 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#21 Mini neon 91

Mini neon 91

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

or watch that
wouldn't doing this make it worse seen as I will have to lower the rear?

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

The root cause of the problem is the coil springs which are not as good as the original rubber cone springs.

Answer is to re-fit the springs which were designed for the car, set the ride height to standard and then, if the wheels still rub, fit wheels which are nearer to the originals.

Then the problem will be gone forever.

#23 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

or watch that
wouldn't doing this make it worse seen as I will have to lower the rear?

No, its not really relevent in your case, any downward adjustment of the platford to even up the balance would just be detrimental to arch height, even if it is a small amount

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users