this would be ideal to have on the tech guide forum :cheese:

#77 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:42 PM

The home made approach appeals to me ! :grin: , So David J if you would like to get a bit more detailed with the plans for this gadget i would appreatiate it , Ta Mate .

#78 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:24 AM

Ok, Will do!
I'll post it here and if the forum moderator team see fit to move it to a techy tip article then they can!

:wink:

#79 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:18 PM

thank you very much!!! :grin:

#80 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:16 PM

Right. Hope this is ok!

As far as obtaining the thermostat unit with the dial and the copper tube temperature sensor – I was lucky, we had an old centra- heating one lying around. The branded Kenlowe unit can be bought as a kit for about £40 (excluding the fan!) or it will be available at autojumbles and Kit car shows etc.. I’m sure that the type I used could be bought for less from somewhere that does plumbing and boilers.

The basis of the system is that the electric fan is wired (without a separate relay as the thermostat unit is a big one itself and can handle the current) so that when the coolant in the radiator reaches a set temperature (usually 90degrees, just below boiling point) the thermostat switches the relay on and the fan is supplied with electricity from the battery via a fuse. The fan runs until the temperature goes below the set temperature and the relay switches the fan off.

{If you want to use an existing temperature sensor mounted in the radiator then you DO need a separate relay for the fan.}

The thermostat sensor on the Kenlowe unit is in the form of a copper tube ending with a copper ‘bulb’. The copper bulb needs to be situated such that it is either in contact with the coolant or very close to it i.e clamped to the outside of the metal radiator (not the fins – the tank part). Kenlowe instruction are as follows “Automatic Sensor - Slips under top hose seated on a silicone extruded saddle - groove for sensor tube and feathered edges enables hose to be slipped back over and clip tightened down to achieve watertight entry without cutting hose or drilling radiator.” ( http://www.kenlowe.c...ers/fans07.html )

When connected up the dial on the thermostat can be set so that the fan comes on at the desired temperature. A bypass switch can be included to switch the fan on manually from inside the car if you wish and also an indicator light linked to the fan circuit is handy to let the driver know when the fan is operating. The electricity supply to the fan can either be taken directly from the battery positive (via a fuse) or from a separate relay that is live only when the ignition is on. If the former is chosen the fan will stay on after the ignition has been switched off.

Done some pics but may have to post them in separate posts.

This is my spitfire set up.

Attached Files

#81 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:34 AM

This is great , I will go look for a central heating control :grin:

#82 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:32 AM

Thats Genius!! :)

#83 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:06 AM

Genius? hehe, I can't take the credit myself, its common as muck in the kit car, triumph and mg world!! hehe
Did it all make sense?
The only thing I really forgot to mention was that I used some zip-ties and some bendy wire to hold the bulb onto the radiator.

Re-reading what I said above its not clear about where the electricity supply should come from, thats because I can't remember exactly what I did!!

If you're buying the central heating thermostat don't forget to open up the unit and swop the contacts around! Think I should have said 'Water Heating' thermostat.
The technical name is a capillary or bulb thermostat. I searched the internet but haven't found a supplier yet. Will keep looking. Ebay may have second hand Kenlowe ones too.

Speak of the devil, just had a look on ebay and there are some Kenlowes plus a water boiler one that would hopefully do the trick!!! (can't be sure)
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...&category=25379

CHeers

#84 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hey Woody how is Flame red comin along? You haven't been posting the progress anymore. Just about done her?

Al

#85 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:17 PM

Hi , no I am sory to say i have not touched her for ages , too busy earning a living , I have ordered the new tyres to fit to my nice new (to me) Alloys :grin:
I took the old tyres off , i have rubbed the wheels down now i need to fitt the tyres (loosly) spray them and then inflate the tyres , this avoids the tyre fitting machine scratching the new paint , when they are painted i will put up a pic,
I still havent sourced a central heating control unit for the fan control yet ,
Still ... if i had the time to play .... I wouldent have the money .... such is life :)

#86 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:18 PM

Just a little update :grin: Today at 5:45pm she went through the mot ... and passed :D
I sent her for the test unfinnished :gasp: the door cards need fitting but i cant do this untill i have waxoyled the doors ,i have ordered a new wax gun but it hasent arrived yet :sad:
The Alloys havent been painted yet so the steeleys are on for the moment ,
i need to order a few parts now to finnish the retro look , 2x new chrome bumpers , 2x new bullit mirrors , chrome washer jets and some nice alloy door handles , this is just for now and no doubt i will get carried away at the next show !
the bucket seats are not in yet as i dont have subframes for them , i mean i was going to make some but just havent had the time :sad:
I had to drive her 5 miles to the MOT station :grin: :grin: :grin: I am looking forward to taxing her :D
there is a camping weekend for my local mini club on anglesey and they are having a BBQ sat nite so the lads are going over in convoy to join them , and now i can join in :D
Pictures to come soon

#87 iceman

iceman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:41 PM

saw her 2nite.......mega!.sounds so good too! :D

#88 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:26 AM

Just read this post, hadn't seen it before, nice work! Can't wait to see the pictures!!!

#89 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:33 PM

it seems an awful lot of work when you can just go out and buy a new rad with the fan switch already mounted in it!

#90 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:02 PM

Congrats mate :grin:
That looks a damn good job, if i lived a bit closer i'd certainly be getting you to spray mine for me. Just out of interest how much would you charge for just an exterior respray with all welding/filling etc. done (i.e. you rub down, prime, spray etc.) Am gonna try mine myself but its gonna cost 100 quid just for the top coat so if its not too bad i might get some prices locally and then just do the underbody and engine bay myself....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users