JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hi;

I have a 1982 Austin Mini 1000 which has standard 10 Inch Wheels an 145/R10 Tyres. I am currently rebuiling it to get it on the road but at least two of the tyres will probably fail the MOT.

I have been trying to get hold of a couple of second hand 145 x 10 Tyres but it seems that Wheels and Tyres are more readily available and for the extra cost this maybe the way I go.

The problem I am having is deciding what to get based on what it will look like on my Mini.

Having researched the miriad of wheel / tyre combinations available my choice in order of preference are:

1. 8 Spoke Wellers (White).

2. Minilites or similiar looking in White

3. Minilites Alloy / Silver.

So having decided what type of wheel I need to look out for the next dillema is what size. I'd like to stick to 10 Inch and have been offered a set of Wellers but they are 10 x 6. Having looked at some pics on here I think 6 Inch maybe too wide - your thoughts and if I do fit them they may look daft without Arches. I also have a set of 10 x 5 Minilites lined up and I have spen all morning on Ebay looking for Mini Wheels (No one wants to post!!!) and damm there are a lot, hampered by BMW Mini Wheels all mixed in, my eyes are bleeding!! 

There seem to be a whole load more 12 Inch Wheels available but I am not sure how my Mini would look with 12 Inch Wheels fitted.

I have Drum Brakes all round at the mo.

I know a lot of this choice is down to personal preference but I bow to your experience, so my questions / requests are as follows:

1. Should I stick to 10 x 5 Inch Wheels?

2. What will 10 x 6's look like without Arches.

3. What arches are needed with 10 x 6's?

4. What problems would I have fitting 6 Inch Wheels, what is the additional stress on the Wheel Bearings, will they catch on the Arches / Rear Shocks?

5. What problems would I have fitting 12 Inch Wellers / Minilites, should I look for a specific type that will cause less dramas?

6. Do any of the above need spacers?

Pictures to help me decide would help?

Thanks in advance

#2 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I personally would stick to 10x5

You'll never be able run 10x6 without arches. Will look ridiculous and illegal

Sorry can't help you much regarding arches, but I've got 10x6 split rims with standard plastic arches and they are spot on, surprisingly!! Tiny bit of poke. Looks sweet as

You'll most likely need to trim some of the front wing to allow the 6" wide wheel to turn on full lock without rubbing. Like I said though, I've got 10x6, slightly lowered and didn't need to trim nothing! :D but then heard others have had to so not sure....

12x5 are good too

Edited by megamini_jb, 21 July 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#3 R1van

R1van

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

What about reverse rim wheels in 10"
Brand new tyres 165/70r10
Attached File  image.jpg   56.54K   20 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   58.96K   20 downloads

#4 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

If this helps, I've got 6x10 minators using standard Rover arches and A032-R tyres which just about fit under the archers :-). If your not adding arches, I'd definitely go with 5x10" Minilights!

Attached Files

#5 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Love reverse rims! I'm going to get some to use over the winter.

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

10's if styling is everything , 12's are handy for larger brakes

#7 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

So answers so far:

1. Should I stick to 10 x 5 Inch Wheels? Yes if not fitting Arches 

2. What will 10 x 6's look like without Arches. Very bad and illegal

3. What arches are needed with 10 x 6's?

4. What problems would I have fitting 6 Inch Wheels, what is the additional stress on the Wheel Bearings, will they catch on the Arches / Rear Shocks? - Possible need to modify front wing.

5. What problems would I have fitting 12 Inch Wellers / Minilites, should I look for a specific type that will cause less dramas?

6. Do any of the above need spacers?

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

I have been looking at some pics of Minis with 10 x 6 Wellers and what I think are Group 2 Arches - look very nice :-)

#8 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Visually I think the 10's are the best. I went from 12x5 to 10x6 and think it looks so much better.

Arch wise it's hard for us to say, a lot of it comes down to personal choice. I am running the standard special arches and they're probably a touch small. I will be upgrading to W&P arches some time soon. Group 2 arches would also be suitable.

The lower you go the more you will need to modify your front arch, this is to allow for steering clearance. 10x6 will foul on anything other than standard ride height. That is from my own experience.

#9 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Visually I think the 10's are the best. I went from 12x5 to 10x6 and think it looks so much better.

Arch wise it's hard for us to say, a lot of it comes down to personal choice. I am running the standard special arches and they're probably a touch small. I will be upgrading to W&P arches some time soon. Group 2 arches would also be suitable.

The lower you go the more you will need to modify your front arch, this is to allow for steering clearance. 10x6 will foul on anything other than standard ride height. That is from my own experience.

My Mini has not been modified so in theory I could fit 10 x 6 wheels and they would not foul my front arches, unless of course my front suspension has sagged lowered with age? But if fitting 6 inch wheels I would need arches.

#10 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Sorry, a few more answers for you.

As you're running drums you should not need any spacers. People talk about spacers on 10" Wellers as this clears the 8.4 brakes.

You should not need any modifications for 12x5 wheels, you may require modifications for 12x6 if you want to run any lower than stock.

Here is mine on 12's naff photo, sorry!

imagejpg2_zps8dd71b83.jpg

And much better on 10's

imagejpg4_zpsa22528fe.jpg

#11 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

My Mini has not been modified so in theory I could fit 10 x 6 wheels and they would not foul my front arches, unless of course my front suspension has sagged lowered with age? But if fitting 6 inch wheels I would need arches.

You're pretty much spot on there.

#12 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'll get pictures of mine tomorrow. You will definitely need arches with 6" wide wheels. You might get away with standard arches (like a few of us), but you also have to consider the offset of the wheels too. I'm about 50% lowered and haven't done any mods to fit the wheels and all is legal And no rubbing whatsoever!

Edit: I feel pretty lucky to be honest as I'd rather sell the wheels than trim to get them fit, but no need to on mine :D woo!

Edited by megamini_jb, 21 July 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#13 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

I knew mine needed some attention, but it was whilst trying to navigate my way out of Brighton I realised they really needed doing.

A mini round about was the issue, I couldn't get any where near full lock and ended up heading towards the curb, I then had to reverse back and go at it again, rather embarrassing!

#14 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

As you're running drums you should not need any spacers. People talk about spacers on 10" Wellers as this clears the 8.4 brakes.

You should not need any modifications for 12x5 wheels, you may require modifications for 12x6 if you want to run any lower than stock.

Here is mine on 12's naff photo, sorry!

imagejpg2_zps8dd71b83.jpg

And much better on 10's

imagejpg4_zpsa22528fe.jpg

What are the wheels in the top 12 x 5s?

What are the wheels in the bottom? they look wider are they 10 x 6? What Tyres?

I agree I think the 10's look much better :-)

#15 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Here is mine on 12's naff photo, sorry!imagejpg2_zps8dd71b83.jpg
And much better on 10'simagejpg4_zpsa22528fe.jpg

What are the wheels in the top 12 x 5s?
What are the wheels in the bottom? they look wider are they 10 x 6? What Tyres?

I agree I think the 10's look much better :-)

Top ones are original, from factory 12X5.

The bottom wheels are Ultralite 10X6 ET-7 with A032's 165/70.

Offset is very important and will effect how the wheel sits in the arch and how they protrude from the body. For example a +7 offset will sit further into the body than a -7 and therefore look wider, they will be the same with but have different offsets from the hub.

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users