#1 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: Otago Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Hey guys, just looking for some informed opinions from those of you who have used either brand. I'm the type who believes a car that corners and stops well is more important than a car that can do 10 second quarter mile or 160mph or whatever, and therefore I don't mind spending good money on suspension and brakes. These are the two brands I've narrowed it down to. I have owned and driven cars fitted with Bilstein suspension and cannot praise them enough for ride quality and cornering performance. I'm yet to see anything fitted with AVO's this side of the world, but I have heard good things. I notice the AVO's are cheaper than the Bilsteins, are they up there performance wise though? I'm after lowered shocks as i'll be fitting a Hi-Lo kit, probably medium cones and one of Minispares geometry kits. I'm not bothered by the fact they're non adjustable, as I believe a properly valved shock designed for fast road and weekend track use should be fit and forget anyway.

Opinions?

#2 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Have you considered Protechs? I have used Bilstein and tried to use AVO (the technical support was terrible and couldn't answer simple questions on their own products so I didn't) and Protechs are far superior in my experience. The guy who runs it (Kevin) is brilliant and has worked at a lot of the top companies designing kit for them before setting up on his own. Build quality and customer service are second to none.

If you are fixed on the two mentioned, then I would go Bilstein not AVO for the reason above.

#3 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Strange to hear bad stuff regarding customer (lack of) service at AVO.....I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service from people in the rally community. I was looking to put some decent suspension on my road rally car (not the mini) and it was between Billy's and AVO. Nigel from AVO is very helpful and I only went with Bilstein's due to them being cheaper as i got a very very good deal on them - but in fairness, they are fixed platform struts whereas the AVO's were coilovers.

Bilsteins do make fantastic products and have been used in rallying for years, but have heard decent results from AVO's too.  Can't comment on Protech, but GAZ are also half decent - got a set on my mini and until they go pop i won't be swapping them out.

#4 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Cheers for the insights guys.

In all honesty I'm swayed more towards Bilstein, as I know they're brilliant, 250 for 4 shocks is pricey though, hence why I looked at the AVO's. 

What about AGX? Was looking through the geometry kits on Minispares again today and I see they sell a kit including Hi-Lo's, Lower arms, adjustable tie rods, bushes rear camber and tracking plates and a set of 4 AGX Evo adjustable dampers for 351 quid ex VAT. Worth it? Seems like a good deal...

Those protechs don't look half bad either  :proud: Seem to be pretty reasonably priced too.

Edited by AGRO_RB, 26 July 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

My mate uses protech coilovers on his stock car, they are great build quality and after 2 seasons the adjusters are still in perfect, day one condition...

Here is their website::
http://www.protechshocks.co.uk

#6 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

I've got AGX dampers and they're really good. I haven't tried Protech, but in all honesty that's because I didn't know about them. 

I bought the AGXs as part of a package for around £400 on Minispares.

#7 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Looks to be the same package I'm looking at. If they're good, I may as well just get it, will end up saving me a fair bit of money.

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Cheers for the insights guys.

In all honesty I'm swayed more towards Bilstein, as I know they're brilliant, 250 for 4 shocks is pricey though, hence why I looked at the AVO's. 

What about AGX? Was looking through the geometry kits on Minispares again today and I see they sell a kit including Hi-Lo's, Lower arms, adjustable tie rods, bushes rear camber and tracking plates and a set of 4 AGX Evo adjustable dampers for 351 quid ex VAT. Worth it? Seems like a good deal...

Those protechs don't look half bad either  :proud: Seem to be pretty reasonably priced too.

maybe I got them on a bad day, but I needed some technical info on damping rates. The guy I spoke to wasn't interested, he promised to send the info through be email but it never arrived. I rang up again a couple of days later got through to a different guy. Another promise of info coming through and it never happened. That was a few years back so things could be different now but I have never bothered going back. By comparison, if I ring Kevin at Protech you find out what you want immediately, I have had a problem with a shock and it was sorted by return three days before Christmas at no expense to me. Can't fault them so that's where my money goes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users