5 replies to this topic

#1 Jamierobertarnold

Jamierobertarnold

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hello, I'm trying to pull the front hub away so I can get to the inner cv joint to sort an oil leak. I've managed to get the bottom ball joint apart with a ball joint splitter but the top joint isn't budging. Any ideas on how to get the top one apart?

Attached Files

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

You have obviously tried with a ball joint splitter, so try putting a nut on to protect the thread and hitting the nut to dislodge the pin, your going to have to get it of now even if you end up damaging it as you will need to replace the rubber dust cover. The only other way is to knock the tabs back on the lock washer and undo the domed nut this will at least get the hub out of the way so you can do the oil seal and it will give you more Rome to work on the ball joint pin.

Edited by RedRuby, 23 August 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#3 Jamierobertarnold

Jamierobertarnold

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

Sorry I'm a complete novice. I've ordered new ball joints so not too fussed about the rubber or thread. So are you saying I need to get the hub away from the ball joint itself and worry about the ball joint after?

#4 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

As you are fitting new ball joints it does not matter if you damage the thread on the ball joint so try hitting it hard on the top of the threaded portion with a hammer. If you want to give yourself more room knock the lock washer tabs out of the way that secure the large domed nut of the ball joint and then unscrew the domed ball joint nut from the hub, this will allow you to remove the hub out of the way and give you more room to work on the ball joint taper pin in the top arm if previously hitting it with a hammer has not removed it from the top arm. I would also first undo the brake caliper from the hub and hang it out of the way

Edited by RedRuby, 23 August 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#5 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

When using a ball joint splitter, don't just keep winding it up tighter and tighter (this assumes you are using a scissors type).

Get another splitter. Once its in position and got some pressure on the stud, tap the end of the splitter over the stud. You will probably find this will release it. If it does put another turn on the ball joint splitter and repeat. You will most likely find the splitter has become slacker anyway which is a sign that things are moving.

I have only ever had one ball joint which I couldn't split using the above method.

#6 Jamierobertarnold

Jamierobertarnold

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thanks very much people! Appreciate all the help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users