#1 marcusw

marcusw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hey, 

I am welding some new sub frame mounts onto my mini, the ones that are on the boot floor.

I am doing a full restore and will be over hauling the rear subframe anyways, 

I would like to use the sub frame with some new mountings to check the alignment of the mounting holes I will be welding in.

However I am wondering what is the best way to check if my current subframe is up to scratch and most importantly square / straight

otherwise it would be pointless as I would be welding the mounts it in the wrong place

Thanks in advance

Marcus 

Edited by marcusw, 24 August 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#2 marcusw

marcusw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

#3 marcusw

marcusw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Anyone?

Well I have had a look at my rear sub-frame today, I was going to measure the distance between the mounts and check they were the same, as I guess that would be the best way to check for alignment. However put the wire wheel on some bits and the metal looks as if it has warped with the rust in some parts, I am feeling like its new one time.

What do you guys think ?

Also has any one got one of the pre built subframes from Mini spares that come with all breaks etc etc on

https://www.minispar...px|Back to shop

I was looking at them but not sure they are worth the money, and I would also like a heritage sub frame rather than a copy as I have heard a lot online that the reproduced ones are crap

Thanks

Marcus

Here are the pictures of my Sub-Frame

P8290376_zps1c8b16eb.jpg

Bit Bent at One End

P8290377_zps8d8155a7.jpg

P8290378_zpsa052e19d.jpg

P8290381_zps8978f225.jpg

P8290382_zpsf99e2ecd.jpg

P8290383_zpsda435505.jpg

Edited by marcusw, 29 August 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#4 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

I put a similiar post up on here a while ago, there is a diagram knocking around with dimensions for Subframes, I also believe it is in the Haynes Manual.

My Subframe was in a similiar state as yours, worse in fact and I have refurbished it, it took me the best part of 3 months so if time is of the essence then maybe you should get a new one. 

Before you make any decision on buying a complete new replacement or second hand, power wash yours and have a good poke around with a screwdriver looking for weak / rusted spots.

What are the Trumptes and Rubbers like, if its in a bad condition the Trumpets will be siezed into the rubbers and the rubbers will be siezed into the Subframe, lots of WD40 and patience to remove them, don't force them though or you will break either the Trumpet or the Subby.

The Skid Plates that you have scraped and found cracks and rust in can be replace, I made my own but they can be bought for about £12.50 each.

The Minispares complete Subframe you linked is probably worth the money especially if you subscribe to this Forum you'll get 10% discount, but at £1400 that's a big spend when you could buy a pretty good condition second hand for about £300 complete however it would probably still need cleaning up and painting which could cost you another £200 or so depending how you want to do it, shot blasting / chemical strip, galvanise and Powdercoat or POR 15 or like me, hand scrape to bare metal, Epoxy Prime and Top Coat.  

#5 marcusw

marcusw

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

I put a similiar post up on here a while ago, there is a diagram knocking around with dimensions for Subframes, I also believe it is in the Haynes Manual.

My Subframe was in a similiar state as yours, worse in fact and I have refurbished it, it took me the best part of 3 months so if time is of the essence then maybe you should get a new one. 

Before you make any decision on buying a complete new replacement or second hand, power wash yours and have a good poke around with a screwdriver looking for weak / rusted spots.

What are the Trumptes and Rubbers like, if its in a bad condition the Trumpets will be siezed into the rubbers and the rubbers will be siezed into the Subframe, lots of WD40 and patience to remove them, don't force them though or you will break either the Trumpet or the Subby.

The Skid Plates that you have scraped and found cracks and rust in can be replace, I made my own but they can be bought for about £12.50 each.

The Minispares complete Subframe you linked is probably worth the money especially if you subscribe to this Forum you'll get 10% discount, but at £1400 that's a big spend when you could buy a pretty good condition second hand for about £300 complete however it would probably still need cleaning up and painting which could cost you another £200 or so depending how you want to do it, shot blasting / chemical strip, galvanise and Powdercoat or POR 15 or like me, hand scrape to bare metal, Epoxy Prime and Top Coat.  

Hey, 

Thanks for the advice, 

I did think about fixing, however my welding is not the best and because its such an important part I have decided to replace it, i had a poke about and though for piece of mine, im getting a new one as then I know its sound

Got the new one today, decided assembled one wasn't worth it as, alot of the other bits are fixable off the old one.

heres the new one waiting in the garage for the mounts to arrive

Also going to treat it in waxoil etc before it goes on, but keep it dry to line up the subframe mount pannels

P8300401_zps69aed617.jpg

Thanks

Marcus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users