The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

It'll be ridiculous if it does come in.  There's no way I'd want to be on the road with all sorts of heaps driving around with no MOT test on them.

Orrrrr, they'll just employ more VOSA inspectors, who'll just stop all cars that are over 30 years old on a regular basis to check them for roadworthiness. The onus being on the owners to keep them roadworthy?

But:

Research by the DfT found that classic cars are generally very well maintained and have much lower accident and MOT failure rates than newer vehicles. In 2009, initial MOT test failure rates for pre-1960 vehicles was less than 10% – compared to over 30% for newer cars.

Vehicles registered before 1960 make up around 0.6% of all cars on UK roads, but are involved in just 0.03% of crashes.

These figures, along with a public consultation that showed high levels of support for the proposal, meant all cars manufactured before 1960 have been exempt from the MOT test as of 2012. But should this exemption be extended?

Are they REALLY interpreting those figures as meaning that Classic Cars don't need MOTs?  

I mean, the fact that only 10% fail versus 30% of newer cars.  Maybe that's because on the whole they're FAR more basic and actually don't have as much likelihood of failing on ABS faults, emissions fails, even hazards and fog lights aren't required on a lot of classics.

pre-1960 cars make up around 0.6% of cars on the road, but are involved in just 0.03% of crashes, maybe that's because they're not used as regularly in a LOT of cases?  I mean, come on!  It's ludicrous to think that there's going to possibly be no MOT on older cars.  All it's going to do is cause people to go and and buy old scrappy cars and put them on the road, keep bangers going as a way of cheap motoring and never have to worry about whether they pass the MOT.

As said above, it'll lead to a load of crashes and then a ban on old cars if they're not careful.

#17 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

We don't have an annual MOT test here, just the one solitary test when you import or have had the car off the road for 3 or more years.  When I were a lad there was all sorts of carp driving around but you just don't see 'bangers' anymore. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

#18 scotty_1987

scotty_1987

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Local Club: MiniBallers

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

See, as has been said, this probably is a bad idea...maybe so, but it's already in place over here(Ireland) and has been for quite some time. Any car that was manufactured before the date 1/01/1980 is exempted from the NCT test, meaning that if you can find a car of suitable age you just tax it and use it!! I don't know if it is all that of a bad idea here, but I can't speak for other countries with higher populations and more people about and such...

Bear in mind, I'm from suburbia in Scotland originally so can agree on the safety thing in built up areas, but out here where I currently reside, it may not be as much of an issue, I dunno I'm not really informed enough with hard evidence etc. to make any fundamental claims, but what are the likelihoods of this actually being passed as law!?

Nath

#19 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I have an MOT free car and I dont bother with one, you can though and I would if I was going to sell it to someone else. As it is at 1960 realistically who is going to run a pre 60 car as a daily driver just to dodge the MOT? There are very few road worthy pre 60 cars being used every day and a 1959 mini logbook would be worth a few quid to someone else with a proper mk1 shell before it would end up on a 80s mini city like so many people have done with tax exempt "reshelled some time ago" ringers. I am OK with the pre 60 but 30+ is far too soon, there are plenty of tired 70s cars waiting to return to the road untested in that case.

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

I assume you'll still need insurance? Can't see the insurance companies exposing themselves to the risk, though I suppose they always have their own inspection scheme  :rolleyes:

[sarcasm]Of course it'd be fairer and cheaper than the state run MoT, as anyone who's made a claim will know from experience.[/sarcasm]

#21 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

bad thing there are all sorts of cars from the 70's around here that cover me in smoke from their back ends so bad idea :)

oh yer, sorry about that!!

#22 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Stupid idea

#23 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Gonna get controvershal now.........just because a car HAS an MOT doesn't mean it is safe. I admit, it may be safer, but by no way means a car is going to behave well in a crash as there could be hidden rot that an inspector poking away with a screwdriver cannot see or a brake component could fail on the way home from the MOT station and because you are clutching your fresh 12 monthly certificate you think all is well....er maybe not. (extreme cases i admit, but you get my point)

Also, this whole scrapping the MOT thing for certain age of car doesn't mean you can cruise around in any only car with holes in it and wheels wobbling all over the shop - the car still has to be safe and maintained. A copper can still stop you and if deemed to be unsafe can come down on you like a ton of bricks (or rusty metal).

#24 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I assume you'll still need insurance? Can't see the insurance companies exposing themselves to the risk, though I suppose they always have their own inspection scheme  :rolleyes:

[sarcasm]Of course it'd be fairer and cheaper than the state run MoT, as anyone who's made a claim will know from experience.[/sarcasm]

It would just be the same as the already existing pre 60 rules, no problems taxing or insuring it so far, no mention of their own test.

#25 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

Gonna get controvershal now.........just because a car HAS an MOT doesn't mean it is safe. I admit, it may be safer, but by no way means a car is going to behave well in a crash as there could be hidden rot that an inspector poking away with a screwdriver cannot see or a brake component could fail on the way home from the MOT station and because you are clutching your fresh 12 monthly certificate you think all is well....er maybe not. (extreme cases i admit, but you get my point)

Also, this whole scrapping the MOT thing for certain age of car doesn't mean you can cruise around in any only car with holes in it and wheels wobbling all over the shop - the car still has to be safe and maintained. A copper can still stop you and if deemed to be unsafe can come down on you like a ton of bricks (or rusty metal).

True but how many people only bother to service their car when they take it in for its MOT?

Without an MOT there would be people who never bother to service or repair things on a car until they actually break/wear out.

Edited by M J W J, 30 August 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#26 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

I read earlier that if a car is deemed unsafe then your insurance would be invalid (obvious I know)

"We're sorry about your brand new car being written off, but the other vehicle has been deemed as unsafe and the insurance won't pay out"

It's not gonna work

#27 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

I doubt they'd get away with that in practice. If it got as far as court , the court would be mindful of the innocent 3rd party's needs, especially if it was a personal injury claim. The insurers would have to show the faults on your car wholly  contributed to the damages and that you could reasonably know about them and the consequences - as an average joe car owner. Even if they managed that, the uninsured drivers scheme would likely be used and they pay into that. Any insurer who made excessive use of the scheme in sssuch a way would soon fall out of favour with the rest of its members

#28 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Because of the advances in technology on cars I think classic cars should be subjected to a lesser MOT test which is more relevant to the vehicle, a kind of MoT Lite.
This test should be similar to, if not the same as, the MoT test of 20-30 years ago. A lot of the modern test is irrelevant for a classic car and most MoT testers complain about having to be logged onto the system for a minimum time when a classic car can be tested in much less time than this.
I also think any differential in testing should apply to a fixed date such as 1980 and not be a rolling change. This date is when the advances in car electronics (fuel injection and engine management) and safety systems (ABS, Air Bags) where being made.

By the way, I have not noticed a sudden increase in rusty 1950s heaps being driven around in the last couple of years despite them not needing an MoT.

#29 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

With little used classic cars I think it is even more essential for an annual check on both the age and condition of tyres even though tread may look ok and also the condition and efficiency of the braking system......

#30 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

My mot exempt car does more miles than my none exempt one, the brakes are just as terrible on it as they were when it passed its last mot two years ago and the rusty rear panel remains rusty :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users