JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hi;

I have just had a set of Weller Steel Wheels Shot Blasted, I then brush painted a coat of 2 part Epoxy Primer and the spray on a coat of Epoxy Primer. After the Primer I applied 2 x coats of Fast Engine Enamel.

There is the odd area that was missed with the Top Coat and a couple of runs that need flatting out.

Questions:

1. Should I just touch up the missing areas or should I spray a complete extra coat?

2. What grade grit should I Flat with before spraying another layer of paint on?

3. After touching up or spraying another layer do I need to do anything to finish the spraying of the wheels?

4. I have some 'Weller Racing' stickers to apply (these), they are adhesive but what else should I do to keep them from peeling off?

They were sprayed on Friday night and I will not be back at them for at least another week or so, If I chose not to touch up?? I guess this would be long enough for the paint to cure ready for the Tyres to be fitted?

Thanks

Here are the Wheels:

IMAG6724_zps948405a2.jpg

And here are the faults (if you can see them):

IMAG6727_zpsea8c52e4.jpg

IMAG6728_zpsc371c372.jpg

IMAG6729_zps53fec6bc.jpg

IMAG6731_zps0d40e18f.jpg

#2 vkasiotis

vkasiotis

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

unfortunately now its to late to do something. you have to sand them again with scafing pad. not the red. the grey one. after that you have to respray the areas that the paint did not reach. turn the air to 0.5-0.7 bars kai minimize the spray gun's fan. be patient and apply 2-3 layers .do not try to do it with the first  because you will see color licks all over. after that set up the spray gun to normal again and spray all the wheel.

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

unfortunately now its to late to do something. you have to sand them again with scafing pad. not the red. the grey one. after that you have to respray the areas that the paint did not reach. turn the air to 0.5-0.7 bars kai minimize the spray gun's fan. be patient and apply 2-3 layers .do not try to do it with the first  because you will see color licks all over. after that set up the spray gun to normal again and spray all the wheel.

Sorry but this is all new to me.

1.So sand the areas that need to be touched up with a scaffing pad (just googled this and nothing came up, do you mean Scuff Pads like these?), is this to remove the runs or just key the areas to be resprayed?

2. When you say too late what could I have done to prevent this? Apart from not doing at night in bad light of course :-)

3. kai minimize? is that a typo? did you mean 'then minimize"?

4. Apply 2 -3 coats over the areas to be re-touched and then spray one more coat over the whole wheel - do I need to scuff the whole wheel first?

Many thanks

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 08 September 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

There looks to be quite a few nibs in the paint (dust etc) i would flat back with a minimum of 600 wet and dry to remove the runs and other defects. Then go over with another two coats. Check again for anymore defects before adding a final coat.

#5 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

There looks to be quite a few nibs in the paint (dust etc) i would flat back with a minimum of 600 wet and dry to remove the runs and other defects. Then go over with another two coats. Check again for anymore defects before adding a final coat.

Sonikk4;

Is that as well as touching up the areas where the colour coat has been missed? or cover these with the extra coats?

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

I would respray the wheel completely, that way you will have an even coating of paint over the complete rim. To be honest they are not that bad but a bit of extra work will get you a decent finish.

#7 vkasiotis

vkasiotis

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

Sorry but this is all new to me.

1.So sand the areas that need to be touched up with a scaffing pad (just googled this and nothing came up, do you mean Scuff Pads like these?), is this to remove the runs or just key the areas to be resprayed?yes thats what i mean.  if you want to remove the runs use 1500 wet sandpaper sanding carefully not pass the the color layer.after that use the pads  and sand all the wheel.spray the color as i saiid you adove

2. When you say too late what could I have done to prevent this? Apart from not doing at night in bad light of course :-) if the color was wet you could fix itt with out sandind down.

3. kai minimize? is that a typo? did you mean 'then minimize"?and...kai means and   :-)

4. Apply 2 -3 coats over the areas to be re-touched and then spray one more coat over the whole wheel - do I need to scuff the whole wheel first? yes as i said in n1 above

Many thanks

its easy enough 

1.fix the runs with 1500

2.scaff pad all over the whell

3. respray the difficult areas as i said above

4. spray a final layer all the whell

ready

Edited by vkasiotis, 09 September 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#8 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

You could flat them down 400grit, go over them with a tack cloth and degreaser, then apply a few more light even coats, allow to dry for an hour, then apply your stickers with clean hands, then once your happy go over the entire wheel with 2 coats of clear lacquer. This will help keep the stickers in place, eliminate the chance of someone peeling them off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users