Photo
- - - - -

2008 Cooper S Clubman, My New Baby. Pic Heavy.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

If its a private sale then your buggered.... Sold as seen.

With regards to my comment re exhaust deposits, I need to clarify. Your car should not be doing that. Our Coupe S, does chuck out a bit of condensation from cold andalong with the crap in the exhaust it will drop a tiny amount of crap out of the exhaust. This is also due to the fact that it has a de-resticted centre pipe with is a straight through item.

I think whoever you bought the car from was a little bit too enthusiastic with a hosepipe and water is in the rear section of the exhaust.

With regards to the code, it may be a boost issue  such as a split boost pipe or intercooler. Personally I would take it to a garage that knows MINIS and this particular engine. Do you know if the engine has had the timming chains and tensioners replaced? They suffer from "death rattle". At best its a £300 ish to sort the items out, worst case scenario, say goodbye to your engine . Is it nice and quiet from cold?

#17 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

Half pint guy in a half pint car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Yeah I know its a risk buying private..
Well I can't say I have noticed any more gunk coming out of the back, I will keep an eye out for it but its seems okay..

Yeah my local garage is pretty savvy, I've got it booked in and they are going to find out what is causing the boost to be wrong. Also I did ask about the tensioner when I went to see it, there isn't anything stating its been changed but cold start ups are not a problem it sounds fine. I have heard a few cars on YouTube with the death rattle and it definetley isn't sounding like a tractor!

#18 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

That's good to hear. Sounds like  just over zelous cleaning of the exhausts!!!

Keep us posted re the issue, hope its sorted swiftly and doesn't cost too much.

Cheers

#19 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

Right last week I booked it in for Wednesday this week. On the way to the garage to book it in (and pick the girlfriends car up) the warning light came back on (they had turned it off for me previously)
Anyway I didn't bother getting them to turn it off as I knew it would come back on, then on Monday the washer level light came on, so I topped it up, and the engine warning light went off and didn't come back. No master how hard I booted it!
soWednesday comes around the garage takes it in and they find nothing wrong with any pressure or boost.. Then it came on again last night. I was in third and my foot was to the floor..
I can't make heads or take of it really...

#20 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

If the EML light has come on and gone off, a code will be be stored in the ecu..........

#21 josh.goddard

josh.goddard

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini Club

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi,
I have a r55 clubman love it to bits, mines a diesel one thoe ;) so plenty of poke, do you still have the uj side vents may be interested in them for mine.
7C9BB45F-9965-4344-8FEB-EB0B72F698A5.jpg

919EA64A-19C2-4496-A3DA-B5BE50FE11E9.jpg

#22 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

I've been looking at these a lot recently and quite keen on getting a Cooper D as my next car. Of course it will have to be yellow to match the van though. :)

Like the look of yours Matt. 

Does the Cooper S have the same engine as the hatchbacks? I heard the engine became more reliable when they changed to the turbo on the hatchbacks.

Edited by SAL 821X, 27 October 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#23 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

engines in Clubbies and hatches are the same.

The turbo N18 does have some issues, mainly death rattle and there was a recall for aux water  pump wiring. Generally though they are quite good.

#24 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hi,
I have a r55 clubman love it to bits, mines a diesel one thoe ;) so plenty of poke, do you still have the uj side vents may be interested in them for mine.7C9BB45F-9965-4344-8FEB-EB0B72F698A5.jpg919EA64A-19C2-4496-A3DA-B5BE50FE11E9.jpg

I love that colour, er, I binned them. They were broken and cracked!

I've been looking at these a lot recently and quite keen on getting a Cooper D as my next car. Of course it will have to be yellow to match the van though. :)

Like the look of yours Matt. 

Does the Cooper S have the same engine as the hatchbacks? I heard the engine became more reliable when they changed to the turbo on the hatchbacks.

Yeah they are the same, but were updated in 2010.

Mine has a common issue where the wastegate actuator keeps the wastegate open.

... And a warped bonnet scoop :P haha

#25 brad-the-bear

brad-the-bear

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

good cars till you have to start working on them ;)

#26 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

If the EML light has come on and gone off, a code will be be stored in the ecu..........

I know its vw but I have had 2 VWs come into me that said "turbo gone" and a nice £1100 bill plus vat

One cost £17 to repair and an hour labour, the other cost £53 and an hour. Make sure they have checked everything properly

#27 josh.goddard

josh.goddard

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini Club

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Ok no worries, I plan to stick a jcw kit on it in the near future, I also love the colour and think it will look loads better toned down with a few more black bits :)

#28 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

Rude not to share a photo of my old Cooper D Clubby.

C6569D88.jpg

And my trio of Countrymans..

87DFA0F5-9B27-4C63-BED1-2F17F68E50E1-472

162C6E30-4146-4F48-B6A8-6F3BBB05703E-472

25E59E6B-6315-4D7B-AC9F-1153AD71E127_zps

Anyway. Love your Clubby. Is all now sorted with it? As previously said the N18 is a very strong engine, but does need a nice healthy oil level.

Edited by jamesmpi, 30 October 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#29 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

I also hope to get some of the chrome blacked out, I also want the darker style headlamps. Would look sweet as anything.

It turns out the waste gate is getting stuck open, causing too much boost. Also the seals on the turbo for the oil are going, so I'm going to get it reconditioned to save any real headaches in the future.

Rude not to share a photo of my old Cooper D Clubby.

C6569D88.jpg

And my trio of Countrymans..

25E59E6B-6315-4D7B-AC9F-1153AD71E127_zps

Anyway. Love your Clubby. Is all now sorted with it? As previously said the N18 is a very strong engine, but does need a nice healthy oil level.

Love the clubby, and I think the grey countryman is pretty smart to be honest. :)

#30 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Also any of you chaps know where to get the clear rear high level brake light from? Ive scoured the interwebs and cannot find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users