Photo
- - - - -

Engine Rattle

Best Answer minimk1 , 12 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

Found the solution I took my car for a rolling road at peter baldwins and he said it was the camshaft plate, sure enough swapped it out for a new one and she purrs like a kitten so happy Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Local Club: a's of herts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

is it something daft like a rocker hitting the rocker cover?

Just went out to check this as knowing my luck it would be, however I took the cover off and it still makes the noise :(

#17 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

Is it worth me getting this rolling roaded or should I pull it out, I have a spare 998 in my shed so I could do an engine swap but I really don't want to have to do this as it is so much work, however I don't want to waste money on an RR when my engine is on its last legs

#18 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

right i have been listing to the engine for a good 5 mins and it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine near the cam follower covers, the noise completely disappears when at 1500 rpm weather it is in gear or not. so revs affect the noise and must put pressure on whatever is causing the noise and make it no longer continue the noise, could a cam follower have worn or broken as it sounds like it is coming from this kind of area. i would love to have this solved as the engine runs perfect and ideally i don't want to have to remove it.

has anyone had similar symptoms, all so far seem to be gearbox related however the clutch being engaged or the car being in gear doesn't affect the noise so it must be something that is continuously moving 

#19 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Could well be badly worn or damaged cam followers.

Edited by Stiggytoo, 24 September 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#20 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

I have set my tappets correctly and sometimes randomly I can get a loud clattering, it can be very occasionally at start up, or in a traffic jam, and can be heard up to 2K revs. This was first noticed 2 years ago and I thought it was going to need some urgent work pretty soon, in the 2 years I have covered 33K miles and its exactly the same, indeed it is less so now.

I removed the rocker cover and ran the engine on idle ( with an oil rag handy). I placed a wooden handled hammer on each valve rocker exerting pressure and the noise went a bit quieter on the forth cylinder exhaust valve. So I assume I have a cam follower that rotates somewhat and in a certain position it creates this noise. Maybe the cam follower is sticking???? Well That is my theory.

Edited by firstforward, 24 September 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#21 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have set my tappets correctly and sometimes randomly I can get a loud clattering, it can be very occasionally at start up, or in a traffic jam, and can be heard up to 2K revs. This was first noticed 2 years ago and I thought it was going to need some urgent work pretty soon, in the 2 years I have covered 33K miles and its exactly the same, indeed it is less so now.

I removed the rocker cover and ran the engine on idle ( with an oil rag handy). I placed a wooden handled hammer on each valve rocker exerting pressure and the noise went a bit quieter on the forth cylinder exhaust valve. So I assume I have a cam follower that rotates somewhat and in a certain position it creates this noise. Maybe the cam follower is sticking???? Well That is my theory.

I really believe it is a follower, I shall do the hammer test now and see if it makes a difference

#22 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

I have put pressure on the rocker shaft and the noise completely goes when I put pressure over the 4th cylinder. Is this a cam follower problem or something else, please help as I want this sorted this weekend

Many thanks harry

#23 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

bump 

#24 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:27 PM   Best Answer

Found the solution I took my car for a rolling road at peter baldwins and he said it was the camshaft plate, sure enough swapped it out for a new one and she purrs like a kitten so happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users