Photo
- - - - -

998 Tunning

Best Answer kyle9832 , 27 October 2014 - 11:13 PM

Sorry to but in, if your looking for lower down power try a kent 266 cam but if you want your power band higher try the 276, but to do this the engine will have to be removed and timed and then a new distributer to match, if you follow this road things start to really add up, but if you arent in a hurry with your car and have a not so tight budget, as graham said yes a cam would very much be a great investment
As for the mini hp you asked that would have produced around 50 hp:)

Cheers lad only want to remove head think I'll stick to the first plan do the head stage one with the free flow manifold and roller rockers that should have a nippy wee mini thanks again
In my experience the roller rockers wont do anything, well except cause you to fit new guides...
Ah I read the description on them and thought cool acts like modified cam without remove in engine :-( to be honest the cars only to drive one day a week with my young son so don't want mad power just a little to help on hills would the head work and stage one kit and manifold get me to bout 50 bhp the stage one kit says it adds 20% or am I bn duped lol
Yes. Deffinatley around 50 yes Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: unkown

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hi I am wondering how much bhp I would generate on a standard 998 by getting the head ported and polished and roller rockers and stage one kit
Many thanks

#2 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

40 standard, bout 45-50, could do with free flow manifold if you arge going to the trouble of porting and polishing the head:)

#3 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

40 standard, bout 45-50, could do with free flow manifold if you arge going to the trouble of porting and polishing the head:)

Would I be better just buying the stage one needle and rc40 and free flow manifold and save ma self £60 already have kn filter

Edited by mini stephen, 27 October 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#4 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

well you could do that but the head is the most limiting factor on the a-series, the head can only take in and push out so much, to get the full gains of a richer needle and manifold and exhaust it would be good to have more flow through the head, think of it a people walking down a pathway, suddenly the pathway gets thinner so people fie down and move slower and then the path opens up again, the opening does not help that much as people are still trying to get throught the thin part, (really bad explination) but I hope you get ther idea :gimme:  so if you are looking for performance gains, do everything you have said, if not just concentrate on the head!:)

#5 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

Thank u great way to explaine it do u know what kinda bhp the 1275 spi had I had one couple of years ago and thought it was bang on power wise

#6 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

what year was it?

#7 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

Think it was 95 it was n reg

#8 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

to make the benefit of the head work a matched cam would be a wise investment 

#9 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

to make the benefit of the head work a matched cam would be a wise investment

Do u have any idea what cam I tried lookin their were loads

#10 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

Sorry to but in, if your looking for lower down power try a kent 266 cam but if you want your power band higher try the 276, but to do this the engine will have to be removed and timed and then a new distributer to match, if you follow this road things start to really add up, but if you arent in a hurry with your car and have a not so tight budget, as graham said yes a cam would very much be a great investment

Edited by kyle9832, 27 October 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#11 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

Cheers lad only want to remove head think I'll stick to the first plan do the head stage one with the free flow manifold and roller rockers that should have a nippy wee mini thanks again

#12 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

I think it comes down to how you intend to use the car and what you are prepared to put up with in terms of engine characteristics. A road engine that does plenty of daily miles would be better to be a high torque output where you need less revs.

Why? well to make "big" power outputs on an N/A small bore means revs, lots of them. which means expense....

I only use my car for events and fun. It is leaning on the side of what people would call negative road characteristics, but I like it and it doesn't take me long to get used to the lumpy cam and the noise, revving to pull off, etc. So having driven both I'm not a personal believer in " you need a more mild engine for the road" I think as long as you know what your getting yourself in for life it too short..... but then I'm a fair weather mini driver :)

#13 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

In my experience the roller rockers wont do anything, well except cause you to fit new guides...

#14 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Ah I read the description on them and thought cool acts like modified cam without remove in engine :-( to be honest the cars only to drive one day a week with my young son so don't want mad power just a little to help on hills would the head work and stage one kit and manifold get me to bout 50 bhp the stage one kit says it adds 20% or am I bn duped lol

#15 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:13 PM   Best Answer

Yes. Deffinatley around 50 yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users