#301 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

well i'd already got a decent coverage of paint from rollering the car so i had good
base to start with, just needed a good finish. Went round a few times with the gun.
Left it for 5 days to go off, flatted out a couple of runs :lol:
And banged another coat on.

job done :D

bert what gubn did you use? I was thinking about trying an airless?

#302 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:29 AM

i used a hvlp gun through a 4bhp compressor, can't comment on those airless things.

Heres another one done :lol:

Attached Files

#303 atom

atom

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

Any recommendations on make of spray gun - ebay seems to be full of these things, but I have no idea what's good and what's not. I'm almost ready to start painting my shell, and was going to use rollers... but I'm starting to lean toward the spray idea!

#304 lilpiggy

lilpiggy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

Just a quick question......

My mini needs a paint job. I'm quite convinced that rustoleum is the way to go.
BUT I have been reading up about this, and found some yacht paint.

Not sure if this is a good idea as i am more interested in the shiny finish.
At least my mini wont leak though :proud:

Any ideas / please try to convince me otherwise ..

Cheers

p.s Cracking paint job Retro

Edited by lilpiggy, 30 April 2007 - 07:44 PM.

#305 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thanks, as promised pics will be coming, I have just finished primering up half of my front end, had to use high build primer after the shotblasting as it's an old front and it was not a smooth finish after.

But i've done two layers of high build primer, and three of normal primer all from rattle cans, the finish is fantastic and perfect for rollering onto. I'm going to be rollering the front hopefully either then end of this week or start of next.

Yacht paint is fine... but you'll need to find out what it things with.. and i imagine you'd have to use the same process of thin layers, really depends,... the reason rustoleum takes a while is becuase white spirit takes a while to flash off.

I would get a piece of metal to practice on first and see what kind of a finish you can achieve :proud:

#306 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

just a quick pic of my rollered roof, has had an initial polish, will flat it back when i get time...come on retro, we are all catching you up LOL

Attached Files

#307 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

ha, i'm busy working... but have got a new door to paint, front end is now in primer and just waiting for my first coats to roller on.

roof looks great, top job >_<

#308 minimad998

minimad998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: not part of a club

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:53 PM

ha, i'm busy working... but have got a new door to paint, front end is now in primer and just waiting for my first coats to roller on.

roof looks great, top job :strongsad:

fair play u have all got the hang of the painting, looks very nice, im ganna be ordering my paint as soon as the body wk is complete >_<

#309 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

Rear quarter has now been given the last wet flat and initial Rubbing compound treatment:
Posted Image
Posted Image
My flip front works now too!!! :(
Posted Image
I've taken another picture of the back end to show this paint gets better and better... this is after 2 light G10 rubs and 5 layers of polish, the first picture on this post shows the shine well too on the bakc end of the car. Next up wax:
Posted Image

Edited by Retro_10s, 16 May 2007 - 02:40 PM.

#310 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

Got afew questions. what kind of roller are you using and secondly how did you do the hard to reach places and what paint are you using?

Edited by kcchan, 22 May 2007 - 07:24 AM.

#311 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Got afew questions. what kind of roller are you using and secondly how did you do the hard to reach places and what paint are you using?

1. 4" high density gloss roller.
2. A fine artists brush (pure bristle)
3. Have you read the first page of the thread (or any of it)???? It sais what kind of paint there,... Rustoleum Combi colour, From Avenue group paints in slough.

If you read the thread there are tonnes of useful hints and tips on rollering, I know it's a big thread... but it's worth the read and stops us having to re-type everything :withstupid:

#312 COOPER1982

COOPER1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Im gonna sound like Janice out of friends but i dont care, O MY GOD!!!!!!

How cool does all the mini's look, ive been thinking of getting my done professional, but SOD that im liking what im seeing, im gonna give it a go, i really need to get the body prep and ready, also im looking for a garage as i havent got one!!! :ph34r:

Joking aside gents you have all done a factasic job, it goes to show take your time and good things will come. as soon as i get a garage i will start. i will be ordering my paint soon as i get paid.

one question- My mini is BRG, if i want to change colour, what would i need to do first?

Great Job guys, i impressed

Darren
:lol:

#313 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

You need to 'Key' the existing Paintwork with 400-600grit Wet and dry used Wet and follow that with a thorough degreasing. Then you could either Spray can some primer on (i would advise this... It's really easy to spray primer a mini even with rattle cans and it gives the colour coats something to really cling to) or you can just slap the roller paint straight on. If you primer it... Wetsand it down with 800grit to get it silky smooth and even.

#314 COOPER1982

COOPER1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

You need to 'Key' the existing Paintwork with 400-600grit Wet and dry used Wet and follow that with a thorough degreasing. Then you could either Spray can some primer on (i would advise this... It's really easy to spray primer a mini even with rattle cans and it gives the colour coats something to really cling to) or you can just slap the roller paint straight on. If you primer it... Wetsand it down with 800grit to get it silky smooth and even.

Cheers Retro

Im so looking forward to starting my mission!

As soon as i start i will post some pics for you all to see

#315 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

I’ve been experiencing a few problems with mine, first off is some arrears are starting to peal away right back to the original keyed paint/primer level.

As secondly after the car has been out in the rain and the drops have settled for a while, if you try and dry the car off there remains these blue/white water marks were the drops were and don’t disappear for some time.

Your thoughts please retro 10s or anyone else for that matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users