349 replies to this topic

#316 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

I’ve been experiencing a few problems with mine, first off is some arrears are starting to peal away right back to the original keyed paint/primer level.

As secondly after the car has been out in the rain and the drops have settled for a while, if you try and dry the car off there remains these blue/white water marks were the drops were and don’t disappear for some time.

Your thoughts please retro 10s or anyone else for that matter.

in regards to the paint peeling off like a skin, its most likely due to too thick a layer of paint being applied to the car, as well as probably not enough keying for it to stick. Unfortunately using the roller is a painfully slow and awkard process, I seriously recommend beg, stealing or borrowing a compressor for the weekend, just to save your sanity :P

#317 COOPER1982

COOPER1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

Hey Retro

Hows your fab paint job coming?

Any more pic's for us?

Darren

P.S ive been sanding mine down, and just waiting for a garage, them will start my rolling.

Attached Files

#318 205 tref

205 tref

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

hello!

just read all the way through the thread instead of sitting downstairs in the garage sorting pug brakes ... and i'm gobsmacked.

with regard to space issues, how much space would anyone consider necessary to spray a car? I had always figured that so long as you could get all teh way round and have upto a foot clearance from the car you would have more than you needed... if this is so i have enough room to spray.

i do like the look of this roller method though. especially as it would avoid so much in the way of fumes - my garage is directly under the house and ain't particularly gas tight! :w00t:

Which method woudl anyone recommend? Is 3 weeks start to finish really realistic? If rollering, do you just bag the rollers overnight like with household emulsion? Or clean? (pres with white spirit again?) Or just bin and use fresh? What is the preferred degreasant? Something like Panel Clean? Or more white spirit?

If I go the spray route - and I've never used a gun before but I'm dam' good with rattle tins - i've seen on other threads 4-5hp being recommended for a compressor, but what sort of capacity tank would i want? Would I just use a regular gun? Is there an advantage to the HVLP gun? Assuming I worked hard, knew where all my tools were (!), nothing broke on disassembly and someone else walked the dog etc, how long woud you consider realistic for a spray job? A weekend hire has been mentioned, but surely this stuff is taking longer than that to cure between coats? Or have I got confused?

I may well have about 3-4 cars to paint so possibly buying spray gear might be worthwhile?

Is the spray method as temperature tolerant as the roller? I have the boiler and stuff in the garage, so it should never get too cold! :D

Sorry so many questions! It's a fascinating thread and possibly the sort that you should read with a notepad to jot down the points! :w00t:

Edited by 205 tref, 22 July 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#319 franko102

franko102

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Brilliant Topic....well done retro, you've inspired so many people including me.
Thank you very much and may santa clause bring you many more 4" rollers...lol...Well Done mate.

#320 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

so did you ever finish ?

#321 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

so did you ever finish ?

:)

#322 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

I don't even own the car anymore,....

Not only is rollering very tedious,... but it's very time consuming and painstaking to get perfect.

I set out to do this paint job as an experiment, I took a lot of time over it and didn't even really have a finish date.

Knowing what i Have learned know it is very unlikeley i will Rollerpaint a car again,... Good quality Rattle cans definatley,... but not another roller job. Rollering works... but i don't have the patience anymore.

The paint itself seems to actually come out even better when spray.. I would say it's a very good paint. But I actually found I was getting fed up of minis waiting for the paint to dry. It turned me away from them for a bit.

My conclusion is by all means go out and buy the paint. but for the labour involved,.. it's worth buying a gun and hiring a compressor,.. the finish will be much better with a little practice.

Edited by Retro_10s, 11 October 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#323 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

totally agree, put two coats on with a roller. Got peed off and then sorted a sprayer out and saved myself a lot of hassle :)

Edited by bert998, 11 October 2007 - 04:09 PM.

#324 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

also, primer is a must

#325 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

well i have ordered my paint today but i am only doing the roof of the camper so i have a much smaller area

does now make me think twice about doing the rest with a roller next year now

i will See how i get on with the roof

did you ever do a how to guide for the faq section ?

#326 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

I would say a roof is worth doing and very good results could be had as it's a simple panel bungle don't Be put off mate :)

Yeah drafted out a how to, got it here somewhere, i'll dig it out, tidy it up and FAQ it.

#327 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

hello!

just read all the way through the thread instead of sitting downstairs in the garage sorting pug brakes ... and i'm gobsmacked.

with regard to space issues, how much space would anyone consider necessary to spray a car? I had always figured that so long as you could get all teh way round and have upto a foot clearance from the car you would have more than you needed... if this is so i have enough room to spray.

i do like the look of this roller method though. especially as it would avoid so much in the way of fumes - my garage is directly under the house and ain't particularly gas tight! :thumbsup:

Which method woudl anyone recommend? Is 3 weeks start to finish really realistic? If rollering, do you just bag the rollers overnight like with household emulsion? Or clean? (pres with white spirit again?) Or just bin and use fresh? What is the preferred degreasant? Something like Panel Clean? Or more white spirit?

If I go the spray route - and I've never used a gun before but I'm dam' good with rattle tins - i've seen on other threads 4-5hp being recommended for a compressor, but what sort of capacity tank would i want? Would I just use a regular gun? Is there an advantage to the HVLP gun? Assuming I worked hard, knew where all my tools were (!), nothing broke on disassembly and someone else walked the dog etc, how long woud you consider realistic for a spray job? A weekend hire has been mentioned, but surely this stuff is taking longer than that to cure between coats? Or have I got confused?

I may well have about 3-4 cars to paint so possibly buying spray gear might be worthwhile?

Is the spray method as temperature tolerant as the roller? I have the boiler and stuff in the garage, so it should never get too cold! :)

Sorry so many questions! It's a fascinating thread and possibly the sort that you should read with a notepad to jot down the points! :xxx:

Wish someone had answered this :mrcool: It'd help me out quite a bit. I'm intending to respray my mini, some panels from bare metal, some panels from well adhered original paint in two pack metalic. I have an old compressor but I'm not sure it's strong enough, it's maximum pressure is 140psi and it says on the back safe working pressure is 100psi (it also says capacity 1.8l) I take it i'd need a gun to suit the pressure output? It'd be really useful if someone could make a comprehensive list of tools and materials needed for a respray like compressor and which gun, which primers and laquers for the paint, g3 compounds and which grade wet and dry etc. :)

#328 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

dave20046 you might do better starting a new topic and asking these questions

#329 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

dave20046 you might do better starting a new topic and asking these questions

Cool cheers will do when I'm nearing the spray date :withstupid:

#330 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

So for those who did it and still have their cars, how's the paintwork? How does it last? And are people still using this paint or was this whole thing just a bit of a fad/experiment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users