349 replies to this topic

#61 slyoldfox2001

slyoldfox2001

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

well i have just told my old man about my imminent ambitions and he reckons i am mad.
we are both doing mini restoration projects and he has decided to go with the professional job and pay £700
it will be very interesting to see how mine compares and we mustnt forget that mine cost nearly 90% cheaper !!!!!

#62 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

GOD I THOUGHT WE'D LOST THIS THREAD ALONG WITH TMF VIRUS!!! phew!. anyway,...just remember, Iv'e said it loads now, but if you spend ages on prep, get it perfect, it'll be VERY nice finish, and of course any help you need can probably be supplied form me or anyone one else attempting this.

You lot have been really nice to me about my progress, my fave comment being 'Holy googly moogly!' so Here's a little pic to wet you guys appetite a little more, (plenty of pics of my progress earlier on in thread too) I got the first coat on the front end yesterday, second coat is now on and I'll get pics up of the flatted back and third coat tomoz. looking good, goes on fibreglass lovely!

*is it just me or can noone post pics???*

** right, all my progress, until i can post up pics again are here www.freewebs.com/michael-jones sign my guestbook you scrooges!

Edited by Retro_10s, 10 August 2006 - 10:48 AM.

#63 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

just thought i'll put it here for you ;D

looks good :ermm:

Posted Image

#64 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

I don't know how you add pics anymore!!!!!! I've got a picture of the fourth coat on but can't add it! GRRRR

Edited by Retro_10s, 12 August 2006 - 07:16 PM.

#65 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

use photo bucket or immage shak ;D

#66 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

I don't know how you add pics anymore!!!!!! I've got a picture of the fourth coat on but can't add it! GRRRR

I have an FTP account somewhere to upload photos ;D

#67 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

any news on this fascinating topic?

#68 Barnett

Barnett

Michael Jackson has died...*plop*

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
  • Local Club: the freeeeloader!!

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

any news on this fascinating topic?

Hear hear!!???

#69 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

the people demand pictures!

#70 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:59 AM

I am looking to repaint my car with a roller and i have been thinking of gloss black but i have heard it will be very hard to get a nice finifh with this colour? I was woundering if anyone else thought this or it was just one person saying it?

Tomm

#71 mini-mad-dan

mini-mad-dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

i think the only problem with gloss black is that it shows up imperfections in the body work, distortion from impatiant welding or small dents, and im thinking of using gloss black on my roof with a tangereney orangy coulour, this roller painting is the perfect way for students! my old man also thinks ive gone insane but we will see, we will see :D retro_10 thank you! :w00t:

EDIT: ohh i forgot doing this in the winter autumn will the car need to stay heated or will it take longer?

Edited by mini-mad-dan, 24 August 2006 - 12:31 PM.

#72 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

SORRY FOR MASSIVE DELAY OF ME POSTING! been on hols gigging round devon!

anyway,... lots of pics to come once I start painting again (monday) so i'll keep you all updated no worries!

When painting the car.... as long as it's in a garage... i don't see the problem in the winter.,.. my garage saps heat from the house and is warm like the rest of the house.

I think rustoleum gets dodgy below 5 degrees.

you lot are so supportive of my progress etc. i'll get eye candy up soon for you. lol.

Pic of 5th coat on front incoming tomoz morn...........

#73 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

yeah i think im going for either- Gloss black roof and arches, and a trafic red body. Or all gloss black and go for the stealth look.

I think the black and red is the favorite at the moment although id love a all black one, i think it will look mega sexy with my miglia arches and superlites with black centres, and red carpet and red bits here and there.

Tomm

#74 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

right here's two pics I took this morning having got back from devon yesterday. I applied the 5th coat of paint before leaving, and on inspection... it's VERY hard now. so, ready for wetsand and 6th coat.

The front is still not quite ready for painting yet, small things like the holes for dzus fasteners and the headlamp fixings on the N/S aren't drilled, buht i'll do those soon.

Paint's looking good. gonna roll out the car tomoz and have a proper look at what i've done in the sunlight and the get wetsanding what hasn't been done.

Attached Files

#75 bananaman

bananaman

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:39 AM

Flippin 'ell Retro, when I read the title for this thread I thought I'd be looking at a grass track racer or someones old Rat style Mini, instead we've got a car that looks bloody brilliant.

My hat's off to you mate, you've done a great job, and I might add, probably opened alot of peoples eyes to the idea of roller painting their cars. (I know I am going to do it now, I have the time, the space and the tent to put Scrappy into.)

Just need to find the paint here in Germany.

You should talk to the Mini mags once you are done, I am sure they will love to see your results and maybe even get you to do a feature on how to do it properly for all to see. (Make you famous, lol)

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users