349 replies to this topic

#106 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

I keep promising pics guys sorry ;D

This sunday i'm going to wetsand the whole back end as it has has 6-7 coats and is fully hardened now so in theory, I should be able to cut it back too, and polish it up!!!

If this is the case, expect some very slick and shiny pictures of a mini arse end on sunday!!! promise! If it looks good, I mar put the bumpers and lights back on etc and complete the rear end build up! woot!!!

#107 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

Only just read the whole thread, and I'm thoroughly inspired. what you've done is absolutely brilliant.

A few questions:

1)Could anyone do it? Is there any skill involved as such, or is it just hard work and dedication?
2)I've potentially got access to a compressor and spray gun, but have no experience using it? What would i be better off using?
3) Would i need to prime the car if i was going to change colour (maroon to yellow)?
4) How did you go about getting the prep work level? Did you use a spraycan to do the guide coat method?

Thanks for any help you can give, you're an inspiration to us all!

Olly

#108 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:08 PM

3) Would i need to prime the car if i was going to change colour (maroon to yellow)?

I would probably sand it down and give it a coat of primer as your going from a dark to light colour regardless of spraying or rollering.

Plus the yellow will show up more imperfections that the maroon would of, so there more prep work involved.

#109 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:18 AM

1)Could anyone do it? Is there any skill involved as such, or is it just hard work and dedication?
2)I've potentially got access to a compressor and spray gun, but have no experience using it? What would i be better off using?
4) How did you go about getting the prep work level? Did you use a spraycan to do the guide coat method?

1. Anyone can do it. The only skills involved are ones you learn by doing it, mixing the paint/thinners to a useable consistency, rollering on a good layer of paint (not too thick not too thin)

2. To be honest if you have a spray gun..., I'd use it. The reason i did/am doing this roller paint job is because I have time to. This paint IS also suitable for spray gun application.... So you could give spraying a go, seen it done b4!... and the upside is the Rust resistance/nuetrlaising/weatherproof qualities of the paint compared to normal paints!

3. Absolutely no need to prime the car. just flat the paint back, The roller paint blocks out colour underneath with pretty much 1 coat (my fibrelgass front had jet black gel coat which didn't show through after 2 coats at all. This paint is a Primer and top coat in one.

4. Prep is the same as any other paint job. Personally, I didn't use a guide coat.... I didn't see the need for one, also, this paint is quite thick, and irons out any slight imperfections anyway lol. The more prep you do... the better the outcome... so no harm done by doing a guide coat.

#110 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

*cough* pics *cough* :-

#111 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

bah shut it!

doing it tomorrow if weather is nice enough (don't like being cramped up in garage wet sanding lol)
pics to come promise promise!!!

:-

#112 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

Well, here's todays work. :-

Back end flatted back, and G3'd and then T-cut'd! Have put the lights back on too and Tank back in. Bootlid is done but i'm currently painting the hinges and ordering gaskets for them + buying a boot seal (lost mine lol.) Doesn't she look special now shes shiny :errr:

Enjoy the eye candy!

Attached Files

Edited by Retro_10s, 19 September 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#113 Mandgands

Mandgands

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

Retro 10s, you my friend, are a legend. The back end looks as sexy as J Lo's, probably better!! That finish is absolutely fantastic, show stopping. :-

Keep up the good work and hurry up and get it finished so we can see the end results.

Gary

#114 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

Cheers dude!

Lol, I'm glad It look slike J'los lovely lumps!

problem is... I'm getting quite attracted to it... and well you know.... you would! espesh if it really was J lo! lol
anyway, profanity aside, thanks mate.

More to come!, rear quarters tomorrow methinks, need a couple more coats but hey no biggy, can do it tomoz.

#115 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:03 PM

great stuff :-

I really need to finish mine :errr:

#116 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

yeah you need to get pics up you!!!

#117 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

yeah you need to get pics up you!!!

ok here goes :'( ( pics are BIG, sorry to the 56kers :dontgetit: )

basically I asked my brother with some help pushing the car off the drive and this happened :D

Posted Image

but I suppose on the bright side, the door was C**p anyway (full of filler). Already got a replacement
and if I had paid for a pro respray he'd be digging a hole right now :ph34r:

anyhoo heres some more general pics, bear in mind this is after two coats, and hasnt been rubbed down or anything :dozing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by bert998, 19 September 2006 - 07:14 PM.

#118 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

That's very good even though it's onyl two oats though mate!, problem is you need more coats though.. like.. 4-5 more!!! flatting that (as you know) will go right through :dontgetit: which aint good!

It's always amazing me the amount of coverage you get from a roller full, and the way this paint is very opaque, yours for instance.... two coats and I can't see a single patch where the paint underneath is showing through (though cameras do lie... heheh) anyways, looking good dude, I've just done some bits and bobs today, nothing involving paint really except topping up the wax on the boot and fitting the new boot seal... yikes it's tight! nice and watertight though now woot! Will be flatting back rear quarters soon and then... 1-2 more coats then flat back and polish up.

The How-To is nearly done for FAQ section or whatever section it goes into.

#119 bananaman

bananaman

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hey Retro you are a roller paint god, lol.

I had to show my mates the thread and your blog site cause they couldn't believe you were doing this. Everyone was gob smacked, lol.

That back end looks great, you do realise you are going to have everyone asking you the same questions next year at the shows, where do you get the paint, how long did it take, was it hard, etc.

I am getting my paint delivered to my mates for me to pick up next time I am in the UK (cant find it in germany) so should start rollering just after christmas.

Tony

#120 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

Woo I'm famous (albeit in Germany lol :D )!!!

Huys thankyou so much fr the support, I've said it again and again, but I just want you all to know that there's been loads atimes I've just thought of selling up at a loss and getting a modern car.. but i forget how good minis are to drive, how they look, and I forget how much I love them, It's always you guys that put me back on track... just looking back at those comments etc.. it's great, you're wonderful! THis projec tis gonna get done full stop. :ph34r:*

Just took delivery of some Locking bonnet pins hehe, very nice!!

will crack on with paint.

so.... errrm,... the germans know where I am then... EEEK! :dontgetit:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)