519 replies to this topic

#211 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

So we finally got to tackle the job of fitting the GTS cylinder head. It was  a good reason that I didn't attempt this myself as there was no way I would have finished it. Fortunately my good friend Abri agreed to help with the work. Well, when I say help, he did most of the work and I assisted where I could. It was a very involved job and took us quite a while to complete.

First off the old cylinder head had to come off. It took quite a bit of persuasion to get the old cylinder head off as there was quite a bit of rust holding it to the block. Lastly there was another massive bodge on this car... there was no thermostat fitted :\ 

fbCVG3l.jpg

Next the newly rebuilt and painted GTS cylinder head was fitted.

mRxLsNp.jpg

We ran out of time and were having some problems with the twin carb manifold so refitted the HS4 carb. So we'll take care of that job when we get a chance in the near future. For now the positives are that the car is pulling nicely with the new head and the mixture has been adjusted so that it runs really well.

Edited by Vinay-RS, 14 July 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#212 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

At last! What was wrong with the manifold?

#213 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

At last! What was wrong with the manifold?

Yeah, glad to do a job completely... well almost completely. Someone had filed away material from the flanges, so it no longer abutted correctly against the washers when the manifold nuts were tightened :\ 

#214 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

So what now? New manifold?

#215 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Fortunately not. Abri had one in storage, so we're going to use that one. I'll look for a good one to replace the one he gave me and perhaps try and get this one fixed. I'm pretty sure there are people who know how to fix damaged manifold right? 

#216 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Fortunately not. Abri had one in storage, so we're going to use that one. I'll look for a good one to replace the one he gave me and perhaps try and get this one fixed. I'm pretty sure there are people who know how to fix damaged manifold right? 

Engineering firm might be able to help out with that.

#217 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Engineering firm might be able to help out with that.

Or our department workshop ;)

#218 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

I was able to pick up a thermostat, the correct temperature sender and wiper blades (because the ones on the car are worn and don't work well anymore).

bCntDmg.jpg

I was also able to finally source one of these washer bottles, but I was an idiot and didn't realise it had a separate pump... which I forgot to ask for :\ So now I need to find that too. 

jX9AHhK.jpg

We got the thermostat and temperature switch fitted today made some adjustments to the carb and the timing. The plugs were a nice brown colour and so at least the car isn't running lean anymore. The car currently has an issue with running-on (which was why we adjusted the timing) that is a bit worrying, since it wasn't there before the cylinder head transplant. We think it might be the compression, so we will check that next. 

We took the carbs apart and found that I had used two extra washers in the assembly, which was why they weren't operating smoothly. Then when we were going to fit them we noticed that I am missing a throttle bracket for the carbs (another thing wrong with them that I didn't get :\), so I need to source that. Hopefully I can find one and also find a manifold to replace the one Abri gave to me. 

In some good news, I decided to fit the clubman steering wheel that I got from Dennis a while back. I still need to find a clubman wheel badge, but it looks and feels really good. It was a bit dark so I couldn't take a picture. I shall take one tomorrow smile.png

Edited by Vinay-RS, 14 July 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#219 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

And some images of the fitted steering wheel.

7eiqt93.jpg

vRv5ful.jpg

Next jobs, sort out the refurb of the GTS cluster and source (or fix) the centre badge. It's a bit annoying that they're so hard to find in SA. Hopefully I can fix the existing one (and perhaps mod it a little).

Edited by Vinay-RS, 14 July 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#220 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Wheel  looks good. Have the extender brackets for the seats helped? 

Time to find some Leyland mats  =]

#221 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

Wheel  looks good. Have the extender brackets for the seats helped? 

Time to find some Leyland mats  =]

Haven't been able to saw off the old fitting, so no extender brackets yet sadly... :'( Hopefully soon though. 

I've actually got the old stock mats from Gordon. They need a good scrub and clean and I should be able to fit them. They're grey as well, which helps =]

#222 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:27 AM

What badge in particular are you after for the steering wheel? I've seen a couple of different types

#223 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:56 AM

Here are some NOS ones from an Aussie supplier. Let me know if you need a hand getting it over to you, more than happy to help!

http://minikingdomon...eering-wheel-2/

http://minikingdomon...steering-wheel/

#224 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:27 AM

Here are some NOS ones from an Aussie supplier. Let me know if you need a hand getting it over to you, more than happy to help!

http://minikingdomon...eering-wheel-2/

http://minikingdomon...steering-wheel/

Hi Tim, 

Thank you so much. The MINI badge would be perfect. This steering wheel would have had CLUBMAN on the centre cap, but since it's not going on an early 1970s clubman, I figure something different would be really cool. I'll PM you to chat about payments and postage. 

Thank you again :) 

#225 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

What engine is that ? it looks like a mix between a newer MPI one with the oil filter on the block and an older one with distributor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users