2 replies to this topic

#1 Harryjt96

Harryjt96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hey guys I have a 1990 Rover mini City 998cc, and I have been looking to install a Tachometer into the car. I currently have the two dial dashboard which does not display the rev's of the car, so i have had to buy a Tachometer gauge for the car. It is an aftermarket part for the car and I have found wiring diagrams for the car, and have some information on the install, and as Im not at all confident with electrics a second opinion would be much appreciated.

So far I have found this :

Red wire - Is the 12V ignition switch and should be attached to the Green/orange wire on the loom with a spade connection.

Black wire - Should be connected to the battery

Green wire - Attaches to the negative coil post and should be connected to the White/Black wire behind the loom which is currently not attached to anything.

Orange wire - Connects to headlight to activate dimmer (Dont know what wire this connects to yet)

If anyone could help or correct any information I have found it'd be much appreciated, thanks.

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

For an aftermarket tach that sounds like pretty typical wiring connections.  However, the black wire is typically an earth connection which means it does not necessarily have to go to the battery, it can go to any good earthing point behind the dash.  Others will have to tell you where to tap into the instrument lighting circuit.

#3 Harryjt96

Harryjt96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

For an aftermarket tach that sounds like pretty typical wiring connections.  However, the black wire is typically an earth connection which means it does not necessarily have to go to the battery, it can go to any good earthing point behind the dash.  Others will have to tell you where to tap into the instrument lighting circuit.

Thanks for the help :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users