Photo

Boot Repair Part Ii

rust repair

Best Answer Wise Old Elf , 17 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Sorted. I don't think the repair panels are a great fit so I would ignore the bad fit of the bumper holes and just redrill them.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

With my wife away, i get a whole evening out in the garage :) I have cut out a section of the rot, and lined up the full boot repair panel, (havent cur out the whole thing yet). Does this look ok? i am not sure about the overlap where it meets the rear panel, but i would imagine that it can be ground/cut back if req? The sides seem ok, with the hole lining up (the ones the bumper bolts to)

cheers all :)

20150117_180952_zpsfwwe4zuw.jpg

20150117_180945_zpsdr552boq.jpg

Edited by finch661, 17 January 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#2 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

I did a similar repair to mine and the bumper holes do not line up.

Best to refit the boot lid and seal and check that it fits nicely before fully welding up. :)

#3 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

refitted the boot and seal, seems ok :)

#4 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:24 PM   Best Answer

Sorted. I don't think the repair panels are a great fit so I would ignore the bad fit of the bumper holes and just redrill them.

#5 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

wee update! I finally welded in the repair panels and went to fit my valance (genuine). it lines up with the outer bumper holes but then seems to fit the repair panel rather than the hinge panel. I am now very confused

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

Although you have already fitted the repair panel it would have paid you to slave everything to get her first to ensure the contours etc etc are correct. Pattern panels are notorious to be being slightly different shapes and so things have to be adjusted to suit.

Does it look like the hinge panel has been replaced before?? Any sign of welding on it at each end of the boot aperture??

#7 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

Although you have already fitted the repair panel it would have paid you to slave everything to get her first to ensure the contours etc etc are correct. Pattern panels are notorious to be being slightly different shapes and so things have to be adjusted to suit.

Does it look like the hinge panel has been replaced before?? Any sign of welding on it at each end of the boot aperture??

It looks original, or at least no signs that it has been welded! When i was lining everything up, the hinge panel didnt want to line up with the boot repair panel (the centre bumper hole), hence i thought it was a bad fitting panel. its only with the valance on, it looks like the hinge panel is wrong (even though the boot looks ok). i should just get you to come up and weld it :D

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

As already mentioned pattern panels are bad at the best of times, so you cannot always rely on the holes in the new boot repair panel lining up with the existing ones. Been there with Wills Mini Special.

I had to jiggle things around a lot to make things line up.

#9 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

As already mentioned pattern panels are bad at the best of times, so you cannot always rely on the holes in the new boot repair panel lining up with the xisting ones. Been there with Wills Mini Special.

I had to jiggle things around a lot to make things line up.

i'll have a crack tonight, will take the valance off, and try a bit more "persuasion" It seems like i am getting closer with this, but yet at the same time getting further away!

#10 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

evenin all :) had a shot of refitting the valance, used the middle hole to line it up then got the sides to do the same. looks a lot better :)

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

I think with any panel on a mini it will not fit without some fettling, pushing shoving etc. pattern panels are bad, Heritage are not too bad but again not perfect. Patience is a virtue when it comes to replacing stuff like this.

The more time you spend on the fit and finish will result in a better car in my eyes.

#12 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

line it up screw it together adjust weld check weld check adjust 

#13 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

little bit of an update, i had a whole afternoon to myself so cracked on with the valance. I decided to wled the closing panels before attaching to car. this allowed my to seam seal the insides (and outsides), as well as paint and waxoyl before fitting

20150221_165239_zpszdfflpoa.jpg

I made one or two little mistakes, but nothing a grinder/welder couldnt fix. all in all it seems to line up ok, not overly impressed by the non-gen closing panels but worked ok in the end

I cleaned up the welds, and trimmed off the excess metal from the boot repair panel

20150221_165300_zps6xaaocto.jpg

It wont win any shows, but its a lot stronger than it was before

Thanks for all the help :)

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Looks ok as it goes, i have had to really tweak my Heritage rear panel around to match the contour of the new Heritage boot floor so it shows that even a genuine panel does not fit well.

#15 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

Looks ok as it goes, i have had to really tweak my Heritage rear panel around to match the contour of the new Heritage boot floor so it shows that even a genuine panel does not fit well.

Cheers, i will do it a different way next time i think (in 10 years hopefully :D) I will follow your advice though, and get a full boot floor - would ,make it a lot easier next time!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users