Photo
- - - - -

Brake And Clutch Pedal Box '65 Pickup

brakes

Best Answer Dan , 18 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

The oval plate at the end of the shaft should have a pin to stop the shaft rotating, if the pedals are stuck on the shaft then the pin has likely snapped off. If they are frozen that badly then you will have to hammer the shaft back through the pedals (protect the thread obviously), there is no real description of it simply because it isn't really much of a procedure. When in good condition with the nut removed the shaft simply slides out. Release the ends of the spring from the pedals before you continue, this will remove some of the side loading and might make it a bit easier, but importanly will also mean the pedals dont try to remove your fingers as the shaft comes out. You will have to repair the missing pin as it's not very safe to do without it. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maueman

maueman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hi, I have started an on frame restoration and my pedals are frozen on the shaft. Both master cylinders have been removed.

I can't seem to get the bolt out of the assembly. It turns when the pedal is pushed down . I have been unable to find any info on the disassembly. Does the shaft just get hammered out? There seems to be some sort of funny shaped washer on the end.

Is that pinned?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks bunches

Gary

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:34 PM   Best Answer

The oval plate at the end of the shaft should have a pin to stop the shaft rotating, if the pedals are stuck on the shaft then the pin has likely snapped off. If they are frozen that badly then you will have to hammer the shaft back through the pedals (protect the thread obviously), there is no real description of it simply because it isn't really much of a procedure. When in good condition with the nut removed the shaft simply slides out. Release the ends of the spring from the pedals before you continue, this will remove some of the side loading and might make it a bit easier, but importanly will also mean the pedals dont try to remove your fingers as the shaft comes out. You will have to repair the missing pin as it's not very safe to do without it.

#3 maueman

maueman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thanks.  That answers it. The whole shaft turns when the pedals are pressed but not the washer.

Thanks bunches

Gary

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users