604 replies to this topic

#31 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:31 PM

I collected my nuts and bolts and numerous other bits that have been re plated in bright or yellow zinc.

They've done a great job - the parts look like new!  The cost was £30 which includes vapour blasting the clutch master and re plating that too. 

I'm very pleased and have had a great time finally starting to assemble stuff.

More scraping the last of the bitumen floor soundproofing off tomorrow.

002_zpspuwecbp4.jpg

Edited by johnR, 13 June 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#32 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Got the rear brake backplate assemblies on today and after some more scotchpad work (interrupted by rendering 1st aid to an elderly gentleman who fell over in the street outside the workshop breaking his nose)  it's almost ready to have the interior painted.

I've also been working out where more of the fixtures and fittings go but I'm stuck with these two brackets - can anyone help?

many thanks, 

john

brackets_zps1wdvupge.jpg

#33 Vinmin

Vinmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Local Club: RCMOC

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

Black one is for the weather shield on the engine, Silver one is for a battery strap.

#34 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Thanks Vinmin - it was a long time ago that I took it apart and you never have enough photos!

John

#35 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

I hope you're qualified in first aid. :-)

#36 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Thankfully, yes - I've dealt with quite a few accidents/illnesses in my time - it's surprising how many people just walk/drive past someone lying on the ground.

#37 Carvell

Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hello, looks like a quality project. Can I ask roughly how many parts/ nuts and bolts did you have played for £30? Do you have a link to the company? Thanks

#38 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

It was the majority of the nuts, bolts and washers, together with any plated parts that had rusted such as gearchange rod, clutch master, handbrake quadrants and splitter, engine steadies, clips, brackets, clevises etc. brake drum springs, handbrake actuators.  Bonnet latch and spring.  there was an ice cream tub of silver and a small box of yellow. I will be picking up the clutch master and windscreen wiper cover plate on Wednesday.

I found the company online under metal platers.

A brilliant service!

John

#39 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

After finishing painting or plating all the engine bits I tried a couple of the 'Champion' spark plug caps I'd bought. 

Unfortunately they're really loose once they're pushed on so I don't think they'd produce a very good spark.  There doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting them so will have to send them back - disappointing because they look great.

001_zps1jjzk2hd.jpg

#40 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

I've re-assembled the brake servo and master cylinder onto their brackets - pleased to have put a big unit together.
Then I worked on the wiring - replacing the connectors for the back lights ready for the Mk1 type and stripping back the reversing light wire so it can go with the numberplate lamp wires into the bootlid.
Also did some work on the front subframe - I installed the bumpstops and the bushes in the lower arms - I had a slight hiccup when I couldn't get one of the pins in because the diameter of the shaft seemed too large - then I found (while I was waiting for an answer to the conundrum from this forum)that the old bush liners were stuck on the shaft.
Heat and a grinder were needed to remove them but the shaft was fine underneath so was able to fit it.
I loosely put one hub assembly in place for a photocall, to find that the lower arms are the wrongway up - so need to change them round - one step forward, one step back!
I'll check in on the shell today - the inside should have been painted at least - getting very excited at the thought of finally getting it back soon.

Edited by johnR, 19 May 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#41 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

a try at getting the pictures to show!!

brake%20servo%20painted_zpsnuazucly.jpg

ist%20hub%20on_zpsjdtf5dma.jpg

Edited by johnR, 19 May 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#42 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

I've changed the lower arms over and loosely fitted both hubs and wheels - very pleased with the look!

I've also done some more work on the wiring loom to customise it for the different switches etc I'll be using - it's starting to come together, just identifying what each original connector did is a start - I can change more of them once I've trial fitted it to see what lengths are needed.

Today I picked up the clutch master and wiper motor cover from the platers - another excellent job - no doubt I could get them really shiny with some polishing - not sure I want it all too bright though! 

Went to look at the shell - it now has a very red interior - another 2 weeks to finish engine bay, outside and white roof.

plated%20bits_zpsgrli7xbj.jpg

wiring_zpsfuqp0k1o.jpg

red%20interior%202_zpsajc2z7fn.jpg

red%20interior_zps9y5qmpyl.jpg

front%20subframe_zpsiixp7dzc.jpg

#43 Hendred

Hendred

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

That is going to be one nice looking Mini!

#44 Carvell

Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

Sorry do you have the name of the platers?
Thanks

#45 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

ETR platers in Weymouth, Dorset

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users