Photo
- - - - -

Reverse Rims, 7.5" Discs, Without Arches...possible?

brakes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

I've recently began work sprucing up our 1985 mini to use as our wedding car in August. Generally she's pretty sound so with a paint job and some new brightwork she'll be spick and span.

I've been getting inspiration on what to do with her and I'm a big fan of the MK1 styling with the reverse rim steel wheels, hub caps, no arches and chrome trim. 

I understand the non-reverse Cooper S rims will fit snuggly under the standard wings, but I'm not overly keen on the way the hub caps protrude from the rims - to my eyes the reverse rims look much better with the hub cap sat snuggly inside (however if you have photos that prove me wrong please do share!). 

Does anyone know if there is a way to make this Reverse Rim / 7.5" Disc brakes / No arches combo work? Or am I going to have to suck it up and apply some arches and RUIN my wedding day ;)

Thanks

P.S. attached is her in her current state of undress, and the white beauty is my muse.

Attached Files

Edited by veloria, 13 April 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#2 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

You can run reverse rims on s discs without arches. You will have a little bit of poke.

I run a set of D1's with no arches on s discs have done for years. They are another 1/2'' wider than reverse rims.

#3 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

That white car I'll bet is running reverse rims on s discs...

#4 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

You want 4.5 Cooper S Rims with the cooper s brakes, perfect fit!

#5 Covert

Covert

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

so what are "s" brakes , 7" or 7.5"?

as i have reverse rims ,and was planning on running 7.5 brakes with no arches as above really.

#6 Coxie

Coxie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

No matter what you do they will stick out a bit.
The only way to minimise the poke is to fit the delux arch trim and fit 145 tyres. With 145's it pulls the top of the tyre in slightly so the poke is a bit less noticeable.
Here is mine on 7.5 discs and 145 tyres.
image.jpg1_7.jpg

image.jpg1_5.jpg

#7 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Covert - S discs are 7.5" I think

Coxie - yours is almost exactly the look I'm after. Beautiful car, good job! So they're 4.5 x 10 reverse rims and they only stick out that much? I can deal with that for sure.

Now, I just need to find a set of reverse rims...anyone got a set? Or does anyone make good quality reproductions?

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,939 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

When the MKI Cooper S hit the markets here (Aust), in some states they wouldn't allow it to be registered for use on the public roads unless arches (flares) were fitted, as the wheel protuded. They soon became standard fitment for the SA and ACT areas. When the MKII was released, it was factory fitted with aches (flares). I'm sure they'd poke out even further than these did with reverse rims.

#9 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

That's good to know, although now I'm unsure how to play it. To arch or not to arch? That is the question.

Having taken a look at the MKII Cooper S, I actually wouldn't mind a set of narrow body coloured arches still fitted with chrome trim. But i still think I'd rather not have them if possible.

I think the way to go is shoot for no arches, fit the wheels and see how they sit. If they peep out too much then I'll look at a set of Group 2 arches (or whatever have the smallest flare).

Thanks for all the info - really helpful

#10 Coxie

Coxie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:52 PM

Took a couple more pics of the poke on 145's for you.
image.jpg2_1.jpg
image.jpg1_8.jpg

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

Reverse 4.5" rims were always intended for drum or 997/998 Cooper disc brakes, not for the 7.5" discs as fitted to the 'S'.

The original 'S' had 3.5" wheels as standard with 4.5" as options. I think the AUS cars always had the 4.5" standard offset rims which can appear to protrude very slightly, but that was never an issue in the UK.

The only way to fit 4.5" rims to a car with 7.5" discs is to use the original 4.5 " standard offset rims. Reverse rims always require arch extensions.

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

Given VOSA's penchant to change the MOT more regularly and include more and more obtuse items, how long before protruding tyres/wheel rims and stretched tyres (which I personally hate!) come under the regs ...

#13 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

Reverse 4.5" rims were always intended for drum or 997/998 Cooper disc brakes, not for the 7.5" discs as fitted to the 'S'.
The original 'S' had 3.5" wheels as standard with 4.5" as options. I think the AUS cars always had the 4.5" standard offset rims which can appear to protrude very slightly, but that was never an issue in the UK.
The only way to fit 4.5" rims to a car with 7.5" discs is to use the original 4.5 " standard offset rims. Reverse rims always require arch extensions.

Yep, our Aussie Cooper S had 4.5" wheels, twin tanks and wind-up windows. Very fancy!

#14 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

I've taken the plunge with a freshly painted set of reverse rims that just came up on ebay this morning.

Coxie - thanks so much for the extra photos, that's hardly any poke at all. I can 100% deal with that. My only thing now is really I wanted to wrap them in a set of A032R's...

But they're 165's so I'm guessing that's going to be too much poke to get away with. The 145's are definitely do able, but I think i might be pushing my luck with the Yokos...

So my new dilemma is compromise on tyres, or compromise on fitting the arches. Or maybe someone has a recommendation for a set of 145's that will hold up as well as the A032R's?

$_57.JPG

#15 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

This one gives me a glimmer of hope...

BuhaXsuIEAAHXxQ.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic