225 replies to this topic

#1 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

Welcome Lady's and Gentlemen to todays brief on Operation: Nancy (Op Nan).

SITUATION

It has been decided that N712 UJB (712) is under performing in this modern world.

Although 712 has been a pretty reliable unit thoughout its current ownership. It's about time that this Mk4 Mini with it's 1275cc SPI power unit be upgraded to a Mini Mk4A. Replacing the power unit with the more reliable and powerful 1.6i VTEC B16A2 Honda engine under the standard round nose using the Allspeed frame.

MISSION

712's MK4A upgrade with take place in 4 Phazes due to time restraints/other comitments. These Phazes' are described as follows:

Phaze 1

Strip and rebuild the B16A2.

Phaze 2

Ensure 712's structure and body work is sound and painted.

Phaze 3

Assembly

Phaze 4

Testing/Proving and MOT

Once all phaze's have been carried out succesfully, 712 will be taxed and tested ready for the road. Time allowed for completion is from now until BH2N 2007 with a possible extention to MITP 2008.

Execution

Phaze 1

Because the servicibility of the Honda engine is unknow, a full strip and rebuild has been ordered to ensue that, once fired up, the engine will not chew itself into tiny little pieces.

Phaze 2

Once the 1275 unit is out and front end chopped off. It's a trip to the paintshop for some sand blasting and priming. Then stucture and panels can be assesed replaced/repaired as needed. Then its back to the paint shop for painting.

Phaze 3

Most possibly the longest phaze of the project. This is the time to fit everything together, ensuring it works well.

Phaze 4

After some test drives on privet land, its time to get it to the MOT station. More information will be posted in the future.

Any Questions?

Edited by Bounce, 09 October 2006 - 07:39 PM.

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

What subframe are you going to use and are you going to try and keep a standard length front end?

#3 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

With the excitment of finally getting my hands on this engine, I forgot to get some pictures of it before i laid hands on it. There are some pictures someone took here Clicky.

Anyway, today got me to this stage

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Problems i found were the throttle position sensor smashed to peices

Posted Image

And an exhaust monifold stud sheared (and the guy just glued the nut back on to look nice :P
Posted Image

If you read the brief properly, you'd know! :(

Im keeping the standard length using the Allspeed frame.

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

And mods to the engine?

What look you going for with the car? Sleeper, stripped out racer, luxury?

Give you a race at Castle Combe next year! :(

#5 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

No engine mods just yet, i think an increase of 100 bhp is enough of a mod for now. But i think after about a year of driving the VTEC Ill go supercharged. And itll have to be a centrifugal supercharger, I just love the noise of them winding up! Just gotta think about where to squeeze it in.

Gonna try for a 'as standard as possible' looking car. The only things that will effect this at the min are the dash, because i dont know what to do with it, and the possition of the rad. Because Im shoehoring it in the standard length, I was thinking about moving the rad to the boot. In which case ill have floor scoups and a vented boot. Ive got an idea on how to keep the vents hidden to, just requires a bit more work.

Im shes ready and running right, Ill kick your ass Jammy!

Edited by Bounce, 23 July 2006 - 09:51 AM.

#6 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

Sounds good. All the best :(

#7 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:00 PM

Had a relaxed day tinkering today, as id had a few last night. generally tidying up matching fasteners to holes (ive already got some spare! :( ) Started playing with my throttle position sensor and i have no idea how to get it off, gonna get a new one and see how it goes.

Anyone have an idea what i could clean the TB with? I was thinking carb cleaner. It is pretty rank in there, and these no point getting the head all cleaned up and de-coked with a dirty inlet manifold.

Also i tried to get my crank pulley off, during which i found out that cheap tools are cheap for a reason!

Posted Image

So now im scouring ebay for some desent tools.

Edited by Bounce, 09 October 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#8 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

Lol new tool needed :(

Did you make a tool up to stop the pulley from turning, so you could undo the nut? Or did you buy one?

#9 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

I managed to lock up the flywheel whilst a mate had the ratchet and a garden rake as a lever. Id guess its not been off for a while

#10 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

Good old garden rake :(

Mine was a :P to get off, Spent about an hour making a tool up.

Best of luck with your conversion mate!

Edited by Jobu, 23 July 2006 - 10:19 PM.

#11 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

Im gonna have to try again in a couple of weeks as im away for a bit. Gonna get my a meaty 1/2" jobby methinks! Any chance of borrowing your tool? might make it a little easyer! where abouts are you?

#12 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Im surprised the rake didnt snap lol, as you know our 2m box tube was nearly over kill, mind you it did nearly kill me lol. You do realise your going to have to take me and ed in it down the 46 at the woodcock meet lol. Looking good mate.

#13 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

Ill be in Oxford by the time its finbnished dude. But Im sure i can make the trip specially for you two! Just get me some beers and im there!

#14 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

doesnt the RAF provide decent tools then? :(

#15 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

Yea but i was at home, plus Id be in a little bit of trouble for using there tools for personal jobs and breaking them!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users