3 replies to this topic

#1 earthling

earthling

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hi, almost there with my van but I have noticed movement at the bottom of the steering column.  Bushes are in place and fine, I think the rack is moving but I can't see how to torque up the nuts.  In some posts here it talks about the steering rack mounting bolts being visible inside the footwells, but I can't see them.  Am I missing them? The van is a 1972 model.

I have a new rack in stock but I am really not looking forward to dropping the subframe etc to fit it when the rack seems generally in good condition.

Thanks

Adam

#2 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

The rack is held in place by two u clamps doing up with four nuts bolted up over spreader plates in the footwells - roughly 6" either side of the heater a third of the way up from the floor......they should be easily distinguished once all of the carpets / deadening removed........but, asked with due trepidation - have you had new floorpans?.....had a car once where diy ...but not totally smart.... "enthusiast" had made up some oversize pans...... and.......caused no end of issues!!!!

First off though I'd enlist a second pair of hands - and actually see if the rack is moving.....

If you ultimately need a new rack its not that hard.....a fiddle certainly  but when i've done it all that's been needed is for the gearstick bobbins (by age I think you may have a remote change that may complicate matters) and front sub rear mounts to be undone with the tower bolts and front s/f mounts loosened - but still holding..... car on stands and trolley jack sporting a large chunk of timber as a spreader under the sump will do the job!

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

Take the carpet up and you will see two sets of nuts either side on the toeboard. These will be the U bolts for the rack.

DSC04877.jpg

Its possible the anti friction pads have worn and will need replacing.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#4 earthling

earthling

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

Excellent thank you, that helped me to locate them lurking in the old under carpet, nipped them up and rack is now solid

thanks all for your help

Booking it in for MOT on Tuesday

Adam

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users