Photo
- - - - -

1996 Cooper - N/s Rear Wheel Rub, Any Ideas?

suspension

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum but old to minis.

Been 20 years+ since I owned my last one (Mini Advantage) but recently back in a saddle when I bought a 1996 J-spec Cooper SPi on a whim.

I've not had a lot of time to pick over my new purchase but the most immediate and pressing issue is that I'm trying to sort out something that I've never encountered before. I've scoured the forums and didn't find exactly this issue...

Basically on hard right hand cornering (roundabouts etc) the nearside rear wheel will rub (loudly) on the vertical edge of the wheel arch, it leaves polished-steel grooves at the lower back of the arch (rear). So I don't do hard right turns at the moment. There's no other hint of an issue, no steering wander, straight line issues, just the cornering and noise.

If stick my hand behind the wheel and compare the rear tyres, on the nearside there's next to no gap between the tyre wall and the arch, on the driver side rear there's 5-10mm gap, which means the near side isn't right.

My thought was initially that someone had missed off the wheel spacer or it was wheel bearing/radius arm/suspension. I've taken wheels off and compared side and yes it appears that somehow the nearside radius arm/hub setup is over towards the body more. The shock is tight to the body. There is no spacer but the brake hubs look to be spacer types anyway, both the same.

Can a radius arm be bent? or it more likely to be sub frame rot issue that making it out of alignment? camber setting maybe? all of the above? The sub frame as far as I've inspected looks pretty good so I'd be surprised if it were that but the radius arm fixing is in the depth of it...

I've posted a picture of the offending side and non-offending, I'm guessing they wont be a lot of use other than to show the mini isn't in original spec (Cones have been replaced by springs etc.) but you never know. Happy to take more if it helps

Just after thoughts / hints as to what I might aim to look at so I can narrow down the fix. Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,951 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

In terms of what to check, I'd probably look for rust and then at the Radius Arm Pin and Bearings / Bushes first.

If they check out OK, then yes, the Arms can get bent and it's more usual to find the NS one bent as it is more likely to have kissed a curb at some time.

I have a jig for measuring them, short of that, they are not at all easy to measure. If you find it is indeed bent, they can be bent back, but again, without a jig for doing that and then re-measuring, it's not easy. I tend to over-bend them when I find them like this and then shim them back to get the correct toe adjustment. A replacement arm may well be an easier way to go here.

And, just on that, you may find the back end wants to 'come around' (swap ends) on right hand bend too.

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

Thanks! I'll get on stands this weekend and have a better look at the sub frame and around the arm. I had figured that a replacement arm would probably be the best and likely solution. Will report back. thx

#4 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Has the subframe been replaced with a pattern part that may be badly maunfactured?

Has the healboard been repaired and the subframe is not allignd correctly?

Get someone to follow you down the road to see if your car crabs down the road?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users