Photo

Should I Put Stone Chip On My Mk1 ? Paint Shop Says No !

Best Answer sonikk4 , 20 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

sonikk4.....wow!! what dinner did you eat off that mini?? lol

Three courses, followed by cheese and wine Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi guys just looking for some advise really as i had intended to stone chip the bottom of my resto mk1 and go up the outer sills and engine bay to protect it further however the painters i spoke to yesterday have strongly advised against it ? 

I went in for a quote on a full in and out respray explaining that the shell has been repaired where needed and acid etch primed so will need a few coats of primer and a smidge of filler here and there then topcoat etc .

The price they quoted was £2500 in 2k which seemed a little rich for me but i am out of touch with these things ???

Anyway back to the point ! 

I have already purchased 3 1ltr Upol Gravitex and intended to do it myself and as mentioned go up the outer sills, engine bay and inner wheels arches, what are your thoughts ?

Any advise would be great  :D

#2 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

I used stonechip on the underside/inner wings of my MK3. Then painted over the top with body colour.

My concern was without the stonechip what damage will stones do to the body?

If they chip the paint straight away I would be back to corrosion.

I understand some people might worry stonechip will trap & conceal moisture. But if applied properly I don't see a problem.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Did they give a reason why not?

Only reason i can think of would be on a concourse car but if you are actually going to drive the thing, then it's an absolute must if you are going to have a chance at keeping the underside rust free.

#4 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

Did they give a reason why not?

Only reason i can think of would be on a concourse car but if you are actually going to drive the thing, then it's an absolute must if you are going to have a chance at keeping the underside rust free.

Im not sure if they meant not to put it on at all, but they did say that people will assume that i am trying to hide something with it ? They also said going up the outer sills and engine bay would look rubbish !?

I want this car to keep for a bit of weekend fun ! 

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Providing that the floors don't look like a patchwork quilt then i can't see the problem. if the stone chip goes on evenly, you will easily be able to see that it is just a good quality floor that has been protected correctly.

as for the bulkhead, i would just go as far as the underside of the cross member, there is no need to stone chip the top part of the bulkhead.

It's your car and as long as you want it stone chipped, then do it. you don't have anything to prove to anyone, when i see well applied stonechip onto a well prepared floor, i don't automatically think 'this guys trying to hide something' :lol:

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

Personally i don not see any problem with stone chip.

I did my lads car after a full body resto. The stone chip went up as far as the door step flange, both front and rear inner arches and of course the whole floor pan. This was only applied after every joint was seam sealed. Any bare metal was etch primed then primed. Stone chip on after that followed by more primer then several good layers of topcoat.

As for the fwd bulkhead to be honest i would go up to the top of the toeboard and thats it no further than than. I feel the bulkhead should be seam sealed where required but other than that paint only.

#7 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Providing that the floors don't look like a patchwork quilt then i can't see the problem. if the stone chip goes on evenly, you will easily be able to see that it is just a good quality floor that has been protected correctly.

as for the bulkhead, i would just go as far as the underside of the cross member, there is no need to stone chip the top part of the bulkhead.

It's your car and as long as you want it stone chipped, then do it. you don't have anything to prove to anyone, when i see well applied stonechip onto a well prepared floor, i don't automatically think 'this guys trying to hide something' :lol:

My thoughts exactly ! What are your views on doing the outer sill ? Obviously that is the part most visible when painted .

#8 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

I used stonechip on the underside/inner wings of my MK3. Then painted over the top with body colour.

My concern was without the stonechip what damage will stones do to the body?

If they chip the paint straight away I would be back to corrosion.

I understand some people might worry stonechip will trap & conceal moisture. But if applied properly I don't see a problem.

Thanks for the advise  :proud:

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

My thoughts exactly ! What are your views on doing the outer sill ? Obviously that is the part most visible when painted .

I'm not really sure. I am having this debate with my car. I like the look of just smooth painted sills but really want the protection of stone chip.

I suppose it comes down to preference as it still looks good if the stone chip is even

#10 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Personally i don not see any problem with stone chip.

I did my lads car after a full body resto. The stone chip went up as far as the door step flange, both front and rear inner arches and of course the whole floor pan. This was only applied after every joint was seam sealed. Any bare metal was etch primed then primed. Stone chip on after that followed by more primer then several good layers of topcoat.

As for the fwd bulkhead to be honest i would go up to the top of the toeboard and thats it no further than than. I feel the bulkhead should be seam sealed where required but other than that paint only.

Exactly what i intended to do ! How did the outer sills look once stone chipped and over painted ?

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

The thing is with the car on the ground and a decent paint finish you will be hard pressed to see the stone chip. Don't forget you can thin it down for a finer finish.

Having trouble with the Imac pasting pictures, just booting up my laptop.

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

Right here we go

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

so you can see the stonechip is not heavy and comes up well with topcoat.

This is a bit of stone chip damage under the trunnion but that was an issue with refitting the subframe. Things were slightly out and a lesson learned. It will get touched in before the car ever sees the road.

#13 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

Right here we go

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

so you can see the stonechip is not heavy and comes up well with topcoat.

This is a bit of stone chip damage under the trunnion but that was an issue with refitting the subframe. Things were slightly out and a lesson learned. It will get touched in before the car ever sees the road.

Wow now im just jealous lol .

Did you paint the car yourself ?

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

Everything underneath and including the inside of the car yes. The exterior engine bay etc was done professionally. I will be spraying my own car though.

#15 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Everything underneath and including the inside of the car yes. The exterior engine bay etc was done professionally. I will be spraying my own car though.

Can i ask how much the respray cost you as im trying to work out if i am being charged fairly for mine (£2500) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users