Photo

Should I Put Stone Chip On My Mk1 ? Paint Shop Says No !

Best Answer sonikk4 , 20 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

sonikk4.....wow!! what dinner did you eat off that mini?? lol

Three courses, followed by cheese and wine Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

Why not flat the gravitex down to smooth it off before adding your topcoat, I did this with my van and it worked a treat ;-)

#17 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

My lad paid three grand which to be honest i thought was a rip off as i did 45 hrs of prep work on the car at the spray shop. We did not get what we wanted either with regards to a full job which is why i ended up spraying inside the car and the boot area.

#18 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

My lad paid three grand which to be honest i thought was a rip off as i did 45 hrs of prep work on the car at the spray shop. We did not get what we wanted either with regards to a full job which is why i ended up spraying inside the car and the boot area.

That does seem expensive considering the work you had to put in to it ! You would think being half the size of a normal family car it would cost half as much lol.

I am really tempted to have a go myself but its been along time since i did any kind of bodywork and after all the work ive put in im scared i will ruin it.

#19 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

Why not flat the gravitex down to smooth it off before adding your topcoat, I did this with my van and it worked a treat ;-)

I didnt know you could do that ? I thought if you wanted it flat you should apply thin coats ?

#20 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

I didnt know you could do that ? I thought if you wanted it flat you should apply thin coats ?

It worked a treat for me mate,

Its quite thick enough that it wont go thru when flatting it down so if you give it a decent covering to start with their will be plenty on there ;-)

#21 castafiore

castafiore

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:56 PM

Sonnik - which stonechip did you use on the red mini? I was thinking of Gravitex on my car resto due to the good reviews but was also considering the 3M overpaintable stonechip. (Long way from stone chipping but like to consider stuff like this as it keeps the mojo going).

Edited by castafiore, 18 June 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#22 ribz0

ribz0

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Neil... is that the "the red one" build thread or is it another one? Would like to see more on the the red mini in the above pics...

I would definitely say yes to stonechip... its your car so do it....

Cheers

#23 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

Neil... is that the "the red one" build thread or is it another one? Would like to see more on the the red mini in the above pics...

Cheers

It's project Erm mate.

have a read, it's a great thread

#24 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

Just had my car sprayed and stonechipped up to the crossmember in the engine bay, sills and both valances.
I wasn't sure about the valances to start with but when it's the right way up and with bumpers on you don't see it.
The cost of a re-spray will vary depending on how much prep there is still to do so it's difficult to compare I guess.
John
%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/johnR21/002_zps389flxrj.jpg

#25 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Cheers

It's project Erm mate.

have a read, it's a great thread

As Ben has mentioned its Project Erm and its in my signature. Its my lads car and has been on the back burner for sometime. Hopefully in the very near future we will be doing more to him. Carbon fibre roof to fit next.

#26 ribz0

ribz0

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

Holy MooCow!!!

I mean... Im speechless...... Just amazing work and a great guide to... I have been busy reading the others to... you are a very busy man....

Cheers

#27 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

Holy MooCow!!!

I mean... Im speechless...... Just amazing work and a great guide to... I have been busy reading the others to... you are a very busy man....

Cheers

Cheers although it's never ending with minis. Got three more to do after I have finished Paddy.

#28 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

I think you can add thinners to gravitex and turn the pressure up or down and should give you a smooth coat.

#29 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

sonikk4.....wow!! what dinner did you eat off that mini?? lol

#30 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

Sonnik - which stonechip did you use on the red mini? I was thinking of Gravitex on my car resto due to the good reviews but was also considering the 3M overpaintable stonechip. (Long way from stone chipping but like to consider stuff like this as it keeps the mojo going).

Gravitex can be painted over in the normal fashion, i get Gravitex alot cheaper than the 3M stuff :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users