Photo
- - - - -

Need Help ! Top Arms Will Not Fit In Subframe With New Repair Kit Fitted ?

suspension

Best Answer rodandtom , 13 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Hi,

I had the same problem. There's a post on here somewhere (I looked but I couldn't find it) that described the right way to do this.

It was something like this.

Of course you need the washers in the right place but build up the arm but don't put the bolt through the arm yet. Hold the rear washer in place with the rubber seal but for the but on the front end use a little bit of lube and get it up on to the outside of the arm. Put the arm and the washer in, slide the bolt through the first hole to hold it basically in place and on through the full arm, then slide the rubber down over the washer to hold that in place, then slide the bolt right the rest of the way through the arm.

The point was that with if you put the washers and rubber seals in and then try to slide the arm in, it usually binds. Doing it this way the rubber isn't in the way and easily slides down over the washer when required.

When I did it this way I didn't need to rub off any of the paint.

Worth a try before rubbing off your powder coating.

Rod

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

Sorry guys but i`m in need of some help (again lol),

I am trying to fit my newly powder coated top arms with new rebuild kits to my pre 76 subframe, however it just wont fit in the space with the spacers/washers and rubbers fitted to the arms ?

I apologise for my poor knowledge of the correct names of the parts etc ...

I have consulted the haynes manual but there is no real reference to the problem i have .

Pictures to follow shortly 

Thanks in advance 

13-7-15%20175_zpsjovvsl8d.jpg

13-7-15%20163_zpsouyvndt9.jpg

13-7-15%20161_zpsaxbkxcer.jpg

13-7-15%20176_zpsyxmnwaia.jpg

13-7-15%20178_zpsspsiexsm.jpg

#2 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

Try scraping off the powder coating in that area. Or do up the nut to pull the the locating washer through the hole

#3 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

Try scraping off the powder coating in that area. Or do up the nut to pull the the locating washer through the hole

Ahh, so the larger washer should sit in the hole ?

#4 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

Sorry guys but i`m in need of some help (again lol),

I am trying to fit my newly powder coated top arms with new rebuild kits to my pre 76 subframe, however it just wont fit in the space with the spacers/washers and rubbers fitted to the arms ?

I apologise for my poor knowledge of the correct names of the parts etc ...

I have consulted the haynes manual but there is no real reference to the problem i have .

Pictures to follow shortly 

Thanks in advance 

13-7-15%20175_zpsjovvsl8d.jpg

13-7-15%20163_zpsouyvndt9.jpg

13-7-15%20161_zpsaxbkxcer.jpg

13-7-15%20176_zpsyxmnwaia.jpg

13-7-15%20178_zpsspsiexsm.jpg

Does the larger washer of the 2 sit inside the hole in the subframe ? If so i am still not sure how to get the rubber seal in there once in place (so tight)

#5 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

Found the correct name for the washer that im stuck on so thats a start i guess 

Top Arm Shaft Thrust Collar

Just need to know if this sits inside the hole and how to get the rubber seal in place?

#6 chuffed

chuffed

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, the thrust collar does fit into the hole in the subframe. You may need to scrape away some of the paint to fit it in though! (Protect this afterwards!)

If you put the arm in with the rear thrust collar on and the rubber for the front, put the shaft through and then the front thrust collar. This can then be pushed into the subframe by tighten the bolts at the front.

Hope this makes sense

#7 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:55 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

I had the same problem. There's a post on here somewhere (I looked but I couldn't find it) that described the right way to do this.

It was something like this.

Of course you need the washers in the right place but build up the arm but don't put the bolt through the arm yet. Hold the rear washer in place with the rubber seal but for the but on the front end use a little bit of lube and get it up on to the outside of the arm. Put the arm and the washer in, slide the bolt through the first hole to hold it basically in place and on through the full arm, then slide the rubber down over the washer to hold that in place, then slide the bolt right the rest of the way through the arm.

The point was that with if you put the washers and rubber seals in and then try to slide the arm in, it usually binds. Doing it this way the rubber isn't in the way and easily slides down over the washer when required.

When I did it this way I didn't need to rub off any of the paint.

Worth a try before rubbing off your powder coating.

Rod

#8 chris1965mk1

chris1965mk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, the thrust collar does fit into the hole in the subframe. You may need to scrape away some of the paint to fit it in though! (Protect this afterwards!)

If you put the arm in with the rear thrust collar on and the rubber for the front, put the shaft through and then the front thrust collar. This can then be pushed into the subframe by tighten the bolts at the front.

Hope this makes sense

You are spot on, it worked !

Had to take lots of paint off the diameter of the hole though .

Why isnt this in the hayes manual ?

Thanks for the advise chaps  :proud:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users