#1 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hello, first post!

I finally bought my little dream car a mini 1998 cooper. Unfortunately it is a non runner at current. Just a quick bit of advice if possible. The car has been sitting at the previous owners address for around 7 years I think.

Got the car back and did the general bits, battery oil change and new spark plugs. Went to turn it over and it appears the engine may be seized. I cut the belt off to check if anything was seized. The alternator is cracked and solid. The water pump seems fine but the bottom crank is solid. Although it span a tiny bit maybe a couple of mm. I took out the spark plugs and put a small amount of diesel in the bores. I'm going to leave it a few days and I'm waiting for a socket to try to move the crank manually.

Any other advice?

Help would be appreciated.

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Gently rock the crank don't try and force it. It will free up sounds like your doing all the right things diesel is the way might take a while. I assume the mini was layed up and the engine siezed. Not the other way around.

#3 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

No other advice to offer really, but a little diesel down the bores and leave for a few days as you've described is a good idea!

Just be patient with it. If the rings are rusted to the bores, the diesel should eventually ease things off.

Once you have your socket, just try and turn the crank a little at a time. If it still won't move, add a little more diesel and leave to soak again.

Too much force and you could break the rings......

Good luck & I hope this helps!

Cheers, Steve.

#4 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

As fair as I am aware it was just left not seized. Guess it's just a waiting game now then. Thanks for your help.

#5 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Little update. Socket didn't fit due to the front subframe being in the way. I tried to use a spanner and it just about fits. Tried moving it but it seems pretty solid. Undone the bolt fully and the pulley comes off freely.but still no forward or back wards movement.

Just wondering if I should keep putting diesel in or strip the whole engine out and get it sent away?

Help would be appreciated

#6 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

A long shot, try putting it in top gear and push car back and forward. Might just free up the engine if you're lucky.

#7 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

MPi alternators are notorious for seizing up in my experience. I've known them to lock up after only been stood a few weeks. Some WD40 and a socket on a very long bar soon frees them up though!

#8 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Black belt 1990.....Alternators gone bought another one for that. I think the main crank pulley is seized that's what I'm trying to free up.

#9 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Put it in gear and give it a gentle push. Diesel down the bores again. It will come.

#10 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

Cheers I'll try give it a little push tomorrow and hopefully it will come. Is there a set limit of how much diesel to put down the bores. I put about two coke lid fills down

#11 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

I assume you're going to try and get it going then rebuild it? Put about 50 MLS in each one, won't matter if you put too much, it'll just come out plug hole when and if you get it turning. If it does start to turn, add some oil to the mix, then if you do get it spinning on starter it should blow all the crud out plug hole. Put a rag over them to stop it going everywhere. Be ready for much smoke if you get it fired up.

#12 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

At current I was just hoping to get the engine running and leave it for the time being. Got a lot of other jobs to do on it due to being sat there for so long. Didn't really want a rebuilt at current.

#13 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

I suppose its a wait and see thing. I've seen badly rusted engines actually survive and be quite serviceable, but unfortunately a lot just become log fires.

#14 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

After a little sorry a lot of forwards and backwards the crank became free to my delight. Fitting a new alternator now but can't seem to be able to adjust the tension on the belt. Is there a special tool. I have noticed the square fitting at the bottom which I believe is the adjuster. Just wondering how you adjust and what with?

#15 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

Good result getting engine turning over. Would suggest keep turning over by hand for as long as you can bear to free it up gently.

Then get starter motor spinning it over, keep sparking plugs out and it should spin over quite fast. Check that oil pressure is registering, then you may want to drain and refill with clean oil. Would suggest very cheap 20W50 to start with.

On alternator there is a bolt at 6 o'clock (pivot bolt at 2 o'clock), try undoing this if you have not already and may help movement.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users