21 replies to this topic

#16 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

Alternator bolt that apples pressure to the belt is also seized. Have taken the whole bracket off and dipped in oil for a while. Have a look in a few days and hopefully it will be free. Failing that I'll buy a new one.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.

#17 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Well done mate. Alternator tension is adjusted by bottom bolt on a slider. Be careful when attaching it to the water pump make sure everything it lined up perfectly and tighten up little by little. Both my minis I have had when I got then had a lug snapped off the water pump that the alternator attaches to.

#18 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

After a little sorry a lot of forwards and backwards the crank became free to my delight. Fitting a new alternator now but can't seem to be able to adjust the tension on the belt. Is there a special tool. I have noticed the square fitting at the bottom which I believe is the adjuster. Just wondering how you adjust and what with?

Well done for persevering with this, your patience has given the right result!!!

#19 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

Well to be honest only tried it after getting some great tips from this forum. I'm going to subsribe now worth £5 all day long.

#20 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Today I managed to fit the new drive belt and adjusted it after some fiddling. Unfortunately the engine now turns over but doesn't seem to try to fire. I haven't changed the leads yet do you think that would be the culprit?

#21 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

Plug in the ECU to a diagnostics unit, clear all codes and I would also check things like fuel pump etc...

Simply speaking, even though it's an injection you still need the basics, air, fuel, compression and a spark before an engine will run...

Have you switched the immobiliser off with the button fob ?

Has the fuel cut off been tripped ( press what looks like a big rubber switch on the RHS looking into the engine bay ) ?

When you switch the ignition on, do you hear the fuel pump prime pressure ?

#22 Mrfleming344

Mrfleming344

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

Well I think the battery is dead in the fob for the immobiliser. Didn't think it would turn over if the immobiliser was working. Didn't really listen for the fuel pump. Should I be able to hear it?

Where is the connection for the ecu?

To check the spark do I just remove one spark plug and place it against the block?

Sorry first bit of mechanics in years.

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users