Photo

Rustproofing - Do I Need To Drill?

Best Answer sonikk4 , 24 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

Brilliant! Thanks everyone.

Heres the other places you need to look for

In the bottom left and right of the bulkhead in the boot (picture is not orientated properly for some reason)

IMG_4845_zps897ahcf1.jpg

In the rear corner of the boot each side you will see this hole, this goes into the valance closeout

IMG_4844_zpszeoc7syc.jpg

The floor crossmember has these holes in (picture is not orientated properly for some reason)

IMG_4847_zpsnrncnre5.jpg

IMG_4846_zps5iwh3uat.jpg

The A post has this aperture on the inside so ideal for access

IMG_4838_zpszhurwikf.jpg

The roof has this channel easily accessible with the lining off

IMG_4839_zpsaopopvvi.jpg

The B post has these points

IMG_4842_zpsqhuqtty2.jpg

IMG_4843_zpsqe1r75cu.jpg

The fwd bulkhead crossmember has these access points, one each side (picture not orientated correctly)

IMG_4841_zpsloju4yjm.jpg

The outer sills you can use the flutes for access.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:09 PM

The Bilt Hammer cavity treatment comes with a long plastic tube with holes in so that when you spray it covers 360 degrees. Haven't used mine yet as I am still welding up, but will be drilling holes from the wheel arch into the inner sills (it's a Saab not a Mini) then plugging the hole with a rubber grommet - these are about £4 for a box with loads in from eBay.

I was a bit concerned about drilling holes but the alternative is leaving areas unprotected. Although I used weld through metal primer on the inside of the metal I replaced, it's inevitable that there will be bits unprotected and the BH stuff should help.

Make sure each hole you drill is touched up afterwards before you insert the grommet. Before i joined the RAF in 1980 i worked for a company called Rust Protection and this is how they did all of their holes except they used a bitumen based paste to touch the holes up. 

#17 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

Thanks to this thread I've just remembered I need to do the A, B and C pillars before the roof lining goes in

#18 castafiore

castafiore

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

"Make sure each hole you drill is touched up afterwards before you insert the grommet. Before i joined the RAF in 1980 i worked for a company called Rust Protection and this is how they did all of their holes except they used a bitumen based paste to touch the holes up."

Will do, Sonikk. What I was in two minds about was whether to, in effect, glue the rubber grommet in place with Tiger Seal. If not, it might fall out and allow water ingress, but if I do Tiger Seal it, it will be tricky to get out if I ever want to redo it. There was a hole and grommet before, unsealed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users