#46 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

They most likely will be but before I sent everything off to their places to be painted I want to try and get it together for a road test to check for anything wrong. Assuming everything's good subframe and other bits for for sandblasting and coating and the engine gets cleaned painted along the engine bay and other various bits. Then the car goes back together then goes for a front end respray! If all goes according to plan that is lol

Edited by Shingler4596, 10 December 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#47 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Fantastic quality work. Well done

#48 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

Thank you! Always great to hear positive comments. Since last update I haven't done a huge amount. Turned down the other end of the first driveshaft so 1 is almost complete just need to weld it up. Also slowly continuing with the exhaust... its turning out to be one of the trickiest bits being wiring... will sooñ have that done...

#49 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

Ok that's one completely done. Time will tell if their strong enough but I'm very confident that they will be great. I can't sre that the micra engine produces enough torque to twist the apart as they were tightly pressed together and welded together thoroughly. Onto the other one... takes a while fair play haha

Attached Files

#50 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

Second shaft done! Thank god that's over!

Attached Files

#51 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Make a spare pair? Or two and i can buy a pair :)

#52 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

Oh god I don't fancy making another pair for a while! Besides I'd want to put these on the road for a while before vwen considering making some for others! :-)

#53 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

Ok not a lot of work done on it over Christmas but we have made some progress. We modified the frame again as there wasn't enough clearance between the opening at the bottom of the towers for the inner pot joint. So cut further up and did the same on the other side and there's plenty of clearance now the the pot joint on the right side and full movement of the driveshaft on the left. When we put the top arms in we noticed a but of flex in the towers even after the strengthening we added so we added a piece that goes round the back and that seems to have eliminated it. I made some new heater pipes that attach to the bulk head box section and come through where the hole is for left hand drive models so the plumbing is pretty much finished. Just need to add the brackets for the brake lines on the subframe and tidy it up and it should be good to go. Onto alternator and clutch viable then which shoukdnt be too bad. Hopefully get the car back together then and test drive it before taking it apart again to send stuff off to be painted and the final assembly begins.

Attached Files

#54 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

So the frame is pretty much done. Need to be painted but want to test drive the car before I spend money on getting it shot blasted and coated. The main bits I have left are fitting the alternator and making a tensioner for it. Sorting out brake lines, clutch cable and a drivers side removable inner wing then hopefully it will be ready for a test drive... fingers crossed.....

Attached Files

#55 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

The underneath bar on your frame does it go under the sump or around it ?

#56 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Goes around it I think as far as I can remember goes under the tie bar then up

#57 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

OK cheers, mine goes under got a funny feeling I may of built a snow plough 😅

#58 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

Yah mine goes under and it's a bit of a plough during the snow days. I've got a sump guard that I fit for winter normally :)

Shingler question for you.
How have you routed your lower radiator outlet? As I fancy improving mine but can't work out how? Got any photos?

#59 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

This is mine. Modified piping to face the correct way it just runs along the back on the starter. Doesn't rub anywhere so I'm happy with it. It's nice and out of the way too and not that hard to get to

Attached Files

Edited by Shingler4596, 03 January 2016 - 10:43 PM.

#60 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

Cheers shingler that's really helpful,
Took me a while to work out your plumbing then but looks like the Outlet on the tpiece going into the thermostat part? So you haven't changed how the system goes round the engine just where the metal pipe takes it

My system is a bit kinked around the starter motor area where it goes to the front of the car. Its somewhere I want to modify to improve water flow as I'm sure the kinking cannot help cooling in the slightest!

How did I not think of just cutting and welding the metal water pipe!! Feel like a muppet right now haha!

Cheer bud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users