Photo

New To Spi Engines. Help

Best Answer FlyingScot , 07 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

UPDATE. I found a small split in the pipe which connects inlet manifold to fuel trap. Replaced that and it's running perfectly. I will give it a good long run now and warm everything up and see how we go.
I have also replaced my alloys with the orignal steel wheels and wheel trims that where found on the 1995 sidewalk. It's now as oringal as it left the factory.
Thanks everyone. I will get pictures up soon

The 3rd answer to your original question....

lots of pipes to the air filter check them all for splts

there is also a Little black box to the left of the spi unit on the bulkhead if i remember correctly with 2 pipes to it check them for splits

FS Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Simon1867

Simon1867

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Southern Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

I have a 95 sidewalk with an 1275 SPI engine
I have changed the plugs, oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter and the pipe work either side of the fuel filter.
I'm still getting a slight rough running. The idel speed goes up and down when stationary and when coming to a stop at traffic lights the engine will cut out but start again straight away.

Is there anything I have missed?

#2 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

an air leak some were

#3 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

lots of pipes to the air filter check them all for splts

there is also a Little black box to the left of the spi unit on the bulkhead if i remember correctly with 2 pipes to it check them for splits

#4 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

http://www.google.co...CFcLzPgodqnIEFg

#5 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

http://www.theminifo...oint-injection/

read through this it helped me with mine   years ago

#6 Simon1867

Simon1867

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Thank You,,sorry if it was a silly question to ask, trying to learn the SPI. I appreciate your help. I will have a look first thing.

#7 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:06 PM

There are two pipes on the back of the inlet manifold, a red and a black. 

The red goes to the air filter, and the black goes to the fuel trap (little black box by the inlet)

These become fragile and can brake, usually its these that cause running issues with SPI engine.

Also worth checking the fuel trap to ECU pipe (very long black pipe)

#8 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

I had exactly the same problem a good few years back on my first Cooper. It was the Stepper Motor. It is tricky to get to, but easy to replace if you take your time. It's a little motor that determines idle speed. Check the other stuff first though; the ECU will adjust the stepper motor according to readings it is getting from the other sensors. If one of them is creating an anomaly (it could be the sensor itself, or something like those suggested above causing the reading). If none of that is it, it may be the stepper motor itself. It was one of the first jobs i did on my car and it was straight forward enough. 

If you need more info, happy to describe what I did, but I'll let you check the other stuff first before going into it. 

Good luck. When they are running, the SPis are great, despite what some of the die hards on here will tell you! 

#9 Simon1867

Simon1867

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

Black ghost can you go into more detail about the stepper motor, where it is, where I can buy a new one from and how you replaced it. I've checked everything else everyone has suggested and not found any issues. The weather hasn't helped so it's taken longer than expected. The lamba sensor has just been changed now too

#10 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

Try resetting the stepper

http://www.theminifo...or#entry3341530

#11 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

This is mostly from memory and Google as it was some time ago that this happened to me. The first thing I would recommend is check out this thread:

http://www.scottishm...otor-last-stand

If you scroll down the page a few posts you will see a picture of the injection unit and a small space - this is where the stepper motor sits. You will need to remove the air filter housing first. There are a number of screws to undo, one or two of which I think are quite fiddly. With the right tools, they can however be removed. If you have to remove the injection unit, you have to start messing around with a lot more stuff so a small amount for the right screw driver is worth it (for me anyway) but I have to be honest, I can't remember exactly what it is you need to undo it (I imagine it's a small screw driver on a ratchet set at a right angle to get to the screw). 

The thread above goes through testing some of the electrics on it to see if it can be fixed. If you are electronically minded, it might be worth giving that a go. I however, didn't have that available and just bought a new unit ( I figured if one thing was broken, how long until something else). It was about £45 at the time I believe but it's £52 now from Minispares:

http://minispares.co...|Back to search

Make sure you have tested what you can before replacing it though - I don't want to be the reason you are spending £50 only for it to not be that. I take no responsibility if it is something else. Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine though. Also, once I had started it, if I kept my foot on the pedal, the revs could be held steady (even at 1000 RPM), but as soon as I let my foot off the pedal, it was erratic.

Then you just need to refit everything, start it and give it a couple of seconds to settle into position, and hopefully your little SPi will idle perfectly again. 

I believe the instructions are also in the Haynes manual, but I think when I did it, I just removed the air filter, and worked it out from looking at what, if anything, was in the way! Good luck. If it does turn out to be this, please come back on and let us know. 

Edited by Black.Ghost, 23 January 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#12 Simon1867

Simon1867

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will give it ago and see what happens. I wI'll post again with my findings and results.

#13 mini-andrews

mini-andrews

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester mini club

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

Hi
I had the same problem with mine, used the link above that took u to the thread
Having Problems With Spi Single Point Injection.
Nothing worked still running really bad. I was pulling my hair out,
then I noticed the sensor on the underside of the inlet Had a feel about to find that it was snapped. £15 new sensor fitted and was running like new again

Attached File  image.jpeg   55K   13 downloads

#14 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

The coolant temp sensor (on the left) or the PTC in the middle ( which is a heating element not a sensor by the way)?

Good to see an old thread from one of my local haunts on too Black.Ghost :D

FS

#15 mini-andrews

mini-andrews

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester mini club

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

Yer the 1 one the left. So that's not a sensor ahh didn't know that. What's the pct stand for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users