#31 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack but lucas1amp, is that offer only available for micra conversions? I have a mini in a workshop in Clevedon too and will need some made at some point in the future.

shafts are made in clevedon i don't personally make them my mate runs his own fabrication business and has been helping me build a develop the micra frames hoping to sell bolt in kits in the very near future. Tom is making my shafts from scratch and can of course supply others get in touch with me when your ready for them and we can sort something out cheers 

#32 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:39 AM

He guys started on my frame last night but have immediately noticed a problem :( it looks like the whole front is skewing to one side. Nothing moved when I cut it as my jig held it in place and I've measured several places and it measures correct so don't think it's any error of my own. Starting to think maybe the subframe has been in a crash before hand ?
Here's a pic to be honest it doesn't look very much in the pic but by measuring from corner to corner diagonally there's about 10mm difference :(
Anyway any suggestions, thoughts or ideas will be much appreciated !

Obviously it's only tacked together so nothing has warped from welding lol

35578986856_22dfc8b282_c.jpg20151106_152654_zps6t7efuo4 by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Edited by thelegg, 17 July 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#33 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:39 AM

Your best option would be to get another subframe and see if it fits in the jig. If it doesn't your one has probably taken a knock in the past.

Also what size box section. You using? 40x40?

#34 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

Well I'm gonna cut off what I've just welded on, take some more measurements from the back of the subframe to find the centre and then square this to the front to see if the centres are in line with each other,

Yeah 40 x 40 box it's probably a bit over kill but it's all I could get for the right price, I could of got 30 x 30 but I couldn't get a decent length of it and when I did find a decent length they wanted like £40 postage :(

#35 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:45 AM

Ok update time, after measuring my frame a few more times it became very clear that the whole front was 10mm out so I scrapped it and started again, guess that will teach me for using a subframe that someone was giving away for free lol everything is free for a reason !

2nd frame made up to the same place as last time but everything is square this time :)

35231749010_987b1cd782_c.jpg20151107_143933_zps8bp9nopx by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Bit more cut out and the engine fits although it's abit snug

Ok so having some clearance issues ! Can anyone tell me or show me a picture of how low the engine sits within there frame please as I've been trying to get the drive shafts in the middle of the holes up n down but it looks like my tie bars will hit the sump and gearbox now

35488178521_468bd6ac0c_c.jpg20151106_214639_zpssnefphvh by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Diff clearance, think I need to trim abit more out and add some strength back in too

34777203994_8ac11eb4eb_c.jpg20151106_214609_zps5wiw1mhg by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

tempory cut out round the front which will eventually give me room for my exhaust as well

35618430715_d443e4a4b9_c.jpg20151106_214549_zpsd4mznglw by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Edited by thelegg, 17 July 2017 - 11:14 PM.

#36 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:33 AM

I'd say your engine needs to go back more,the fire wall is a reasonable way back from the back of the subframe.
Sump clearance wise; I think it depends where you place the engine side to side but you can belt the side of the sump in a fair way if you have to.

#37 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

OK well I'll put my bit of bulkhead back onto my jig and see how far I can go back :) haha persuasion with a large hammer that sounds about right

#38 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

Spent all of yesterday working on my frame and the engine now fits nicely also started making my engine mounts

35231748750_47edb68567.jpg20151107_174148_zpsyfnbc2na by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Also where abouts should I be aiming to get the gear selecter lining up as at the moment it's no where near the tunnel running back through the body ???????

Edited by thelegg, 21 July 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#39 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:49 PM

Finished one engine mount this evening

35618435805_a28a232838.jpg20151109_205951_zps2n28qxhy by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Edited by thelegg, 21 July 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#40 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

I'll see if I can get an image of where my gear selector lines up. Got the remote finished to its selects gears fine also make sure your engine mounts have drain holes where they slope in otherwise water will collect :-)

#41 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

Cheers mate, although she's a dry weather only car really lol

#42 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

Hi mate, your mini looks awesome and i'm always looking for new threads of people going for the micra conversion :). How comes you chose not to go with an allspeed frame? Silly question I know as it looks like you have the tools and knowledge to build one yourself (unlike me). 

I currently have a starlet 1.3 4efe which I wanted to see if it will fit in a mini im gonna be buying just after xmas, but after speaking with rob at all speed he said the closest would be their rover subframe and modifying it to fit, which is way out of my league :\. So will no doubt be taking on the micra conversion when I get my mini! (and outsourcing 99% of the work as I don't really have a clue what i'm doing haha).

Good luck with the build mate! :) 

#43 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hi mate, your mini looks awesome and i'm always looking for new threads of people going for the micra conversion :). How comes you chose not to go with an allspeed frame? Silly question I know as it looks like you have the tools and knowledge to build one yourself (unlike me). 

I currently have a starlet 1.3 4efe which I wanted to see if it will fit in a mini im gonna be buying just after xmas, but after speaking with rob at all speed he said the closest would be their rover subframe and modifying it to fit, which is way out of my league :\. So will no doubt be taking on the micra conversion when I get my mini! (and outsourcing 99% of the work as I don't really have a clue what i'm doing haha).

Well personally I don't like that with the allspeed set ups you have to use there bottom arms n tie bars it just makes the whole conversion cost loads, if like you say you don't have a clue I'd highly recommend doing plenty of research before taking on the task even if your paying other people to build it as it would be good to know roughly what you need else people might try and take you for a ride :( without looking at the starlet engine I couldn't say if it would fit or not but people have put Toyota engines in minis before so may be worth finding some of there build threads, who knows the engines could be similar

Cheers for liking my mini :) been abit busy with other jobs recently but hopefully will do some more to this next week

#44 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

With all the Allspeed gear your looking at about 1400 for a frame, bottom arms and tie bars and driveshafts. If you have the money to do it and can't diy then that's the best bet but ad I said it's a lot of money. I spend about £100 doing my frame with mounts and loads of excess metal. Good luck when you start it!

#45 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

or wait a while longer and buy a better frame than allspeeds for less money what retains original  mini bottom arms  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users