319 replies to this topic

#46 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

Managed to spend a few hours on it this evening :)
So drivers side engine mount finished

35488182691_077fcf3cac.jpg20151122_202323_zpsdssc75gb by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

K series manifold turned up too so shall be modding that soon

34777208664_d533a8d855_n.jpg20151122_203139_zpsqrrppezg by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Also discovered that the exhaust stud spacing on the micra engine is exactly the same as the A series so hunted through the scrap and found 2 LCB manifolds, after abit of modification I had a new exhaust flange

35231751920_c7702dd7f7_n.jpg20151122_202401_zpspfi3e39l by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Edited by thelegg, 05 September 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#47 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

or wait a while longer and buy a better frame than allspeeds for less money what retains original  mini bottom arms  ;D

Casual self promotion lol

#48 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

Hi mate, your mini looks awesome and i'm always looking for new threads of people going for the micra conversion :). How comes you chose not to go with an allspeed frame? Silly question I know as it looks like you have the tools and knowledge to build one yourself (unlike me). 

I currently have a starlet 1.3 4efe which I wanted to see if it will fit in a mini im gonna be buying just after xmas, but after speaking with rob at all speed he said the closest would be their rover subframe and modifying it to fit, which is way out of my league :\. So will no doubt be taking on the micra conversion when I get my mini! (and outsourcing 99% of the work as I don't really have a clue what i'm doing haha).

Good luck with the build mate! :)

Well personally I don't like that with the allspeed set ups you have to use there bottom arms n tie bars it just makes the whole conversion cost loads, if like you say you don't have a clue I'd highly recommend doing plenty of research before taking on the task even if your paying other people to build it as it would be good to know roughly what you need else people might try and take you for a ride :( without looking at the starlet engine I couldn't say if it would fit or not but people have put Toyota engines in minis before so may be worth finding some of there build threads, who knows the engines could be similar

Cheers for liking my mini :) been abit busy with other jobs recently but hopefully will do some more to this next week

Yeahh I've done so much reading on the micra minis, but I've always learn't best by getting involved in the practical stuff, but can't really do that on the mini because if I get stuck and its in pieces, it will be even harder to move it to someone :\ lol. Was just on the off chance that I bought a starlet to get me to work and back and if the engine slotted in then winning! oh well, will source a clean micra if I can to keep things a little more simple haha.

Hi mate, your mini looks awesome and i'm always looking for new threads of people going for the micra conversion :). How comes you chose not to go with an allspeed frame? Silly question I know as it looks like you have the tools and knowledge to build one yourself (unlike me). 

I currently have a starlet 1.3 4efe which I wanted to see if it will fit in a mini im gonna be buying just after xmas, but after speaking with rob at all speed he said the closest would be their rover subframe and modifying it to fit, which is way out of my league :\. So will no doubt be taking on the micra conversion when I get my mini! (and outsourcing 99% of the work as I don't really have a clue what i'm doing haha).

Good luck with the build mate! :) 

With all the Allspeed gear your looking at about 1400 for a frame, bottom arms and tie bars and driveshafts. If you have the money to do it and can't diy then that's the best bet but ad I said it's a lot of money. I spend about £100 doing my frame with mounts and loads of excess metal. Good luck when you start it!

I think in my case it will be more "bought" than "built" but that's only because i've never touched a welder and have heard of people that have seen horror bodges when it comes to things like driveshafts etc. Cheers mate :)

#49 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

or wait a while longer and buy a better frame than allspeeds for less money what retains original  mini bottom arms  ;D

I'm listening.... :D

#50 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

Well any problems you have there's plenty of people on here that can give you help, where abouts do you live ? Might be people closer around than you think lol

Edited by thelegg, 23 November 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#51 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

Well today has been a bad day :( took the engine out of the subframe so I could remove my bulkhead section from my jig, all came apart no problems. Went to put the engine back into the subframe and it got stuck so I gave it a gentle nudge with a "small" bar and heard a cracking sound :( upon inspection I soon realised I'd snapped the plug off the speedo drive/sensor

35488181721_265a845e3e_n.jpg20151123_205303_zps6nscx33c by Ryan Legg, on Flickr

Decided to call it a day so f**ked off that the engine won't go back into the frame might even have to cut some more metal away

Edited by thelegg, 05 September 2017 - 10:27 PM.

#52 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:18 PM

That's a different manifold than everyone else has used.
IMAG0361.jpg

You should be able to use it though ?

Edited by l_jonez, 23 November 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#53 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

That's a different manifold than everyone else has used.IMAG0361.jpg
You should be able to use it though ?

Oooops lol oh well the pipes are almost the same as your manifold. What one did you use again ?

#54 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Well any problems you have there's plenty of people on here that can give you help, where abouts do you live ? Might be people closer around than you think lol

I'm from Tonbridge in Kent, about 15 minutes from Brands Hatch. Also that sucks about the plug that broke! That's the sort of luck I tend to have :\. 

#55 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Won't be any updates for a while as my daily drive needs work doing

#56 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

I did the same thing on mine test fitting the engine haha!

Apparantly You can get the mini speedo drive and some conversion thing but the information I had about its gone missing and I can't find it again :( L Jones may know more than me I just live without a speedo and brake for cameras haha

#57 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:23 AM

I did the same thing on mine test fitting the engine haha!
Apparantly You can get the mini speedo drive and some conversion thing but the information I had about its gone missing and I can't find it again :( L Jones may know more than me I just live without a speedo and brake for cameras haha

I think the earlier micras had a cable speedo so you could adapt the mini cable to fit but later micras (like mine) have got electronic speedos so adapting that would be more of a challenge :/ I've just bought a new sensor to replace the one I broke as I had a good look at it but couldn't figure out how it actually worked/went together in the first place lol so decided mending it was out of the question.

#58 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:27 AM

You can swap from a vss to a mechanical drive from a earlier gbox

#59 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Can you really? I may look into that as a speedo would be nice to have as my dash binicle at the moment does nothing at all!

Sorry for ruining your blog tho bud! Keep up the good work :)

#60 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

Yep!

Pics of the one you want here...
https://www.micra.or...do-drive.60053/

Simples :)

Although I'm in the process of building my own electronic speedo.
https://youtu.be/_0UZydztHSI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)