11 replies to this topic

#1 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

a member of pandsmoc, rex patterson has been helping me get my car ready to get it through the MOT. it is a 1992 spi. upon rerading the sensors there shows no faults but the lambda is reading 2.1!!!! can anybody tell me why this might be?

could there be an air leak? (i have tried nearly everywhere but to no avail)
could the sensor be duffed up?
could the sensor be clogged?

when unplugging the sensor it reads 0.8 - the ecu standard table entry, so he wasnt under the impression the sensor could be broken (anyone think differently?)

if anyone could suggest any reason or had any experience can they please lend a word of advice. thanks, kris

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Check the acuracy of the coolant sensor and air temp sensor.

what colour are the plugs?

when was the Lambda sensor changed?

#3 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:18 PM

the sensor is brand new. the plugs are black. today it failed my emissions test at mot for excessive fuel. arhgh mitp is sooo close...

thank you,

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

edit below

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 15 August 2006 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

I recon it could well be the coolant temp sensor. It will still read but it may well be out by as much as 10 or more degrees. The ECU will think the engine is still not warmed up and keep the fueling in open loop warm up mode, thus overfueling the engine.

Have a read of this too http://www.theminifo...showtopic=20533

Have a diagnostic check carried out.

When engine is up to running temperature, coolant temp is roughly 90 degrees, air temp is air temp +5degrees ish or equal to, stepper possition is 30 +- 5, ignition advance is 15 degrees fluctuates a little but not by alot, throttle position should be 0.4 +- 0.1 volts, lambda should fluctuate through 250 and 550 milivolts at a rate of aproximately once a second Map should be at least 500 millibar

#6 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

thanks alot sprocket!!

i have read those topics through many of times over and over!!!

it looks more and more likely to be coolant temp as ive had alot of people mention that. today i have someone coming to fit his super mighty minis championship winning injection setup to try and resolve the issues!

thanks alot!!!

#7 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

well the injector, throttle body inlet throt pod, stepper, map, vacuums and temp sender were all changed over to no effect, the code reader still says 2.1 when tested!

only thing we can change now is loom and ecu. oh and actually the air temp sender!!!

running it in for proper operating temperature is not an option, i have no MOT!! >:D

Edited by Black_Pearl, 16 August 2006 - 01:09 PM.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

Oh eckers

Its one of them faults

Good luck

#9 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

today i have someone coming to fit his super mighty minis championship winning injection setup to try and resolve the issues!

Tell us more.......

#10 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

well now after substituting a new lambda and coolant temp sender with known working 'everthing-else' (inlet, map, throt pod, stepper, vacuums, injector, ecu) there is no difference. the only thing left to try is loom and possibly the air temp sender!!!

tell you more. rex patterson, father of gary patterson. together they won the last super mighty mini racing champsionship!! they own and race 'the green machine'. this car is like no other racer, it is immaculate and they only do it for pleasure! sponsored by minispares. the car was for sale on ebay but it didnt get the asking price for it so he isnt selling it. he wanted £6999 - if you had ever bought a car and you thought that you overpaid, this one is a guarenteed bargain. it has won the champship on more than one occasion. rex, gary and the green machine together are crazy. gary catches and overtakes miglias that start with 10+ secs ahead of them.

rex is a god, on our local forum (www.pandsmoc.com) his ranking under his user name is 'racing god' - totally true!!!

anyway thats enough of that!!!

tomorrow i got to change the engine managment loom. but first double check its earths as a very last resort!! grrrr

thanks again!!

Edited by Black_Pearl, 16 August 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

You live all the way down south then near Poole?? Might explane your user name???

Oh and that chaps user name on here is 'the old git'

#12 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

You live all the way down south then near Poole?? Might explane your user name???

Oh and that chaps user name on here is 'the old git'

yup thats correct, thats his username is the old git on pandsmoc 2!! i live in gosport, nr fareham nr portsmouth!!!

turns out i have now changed all but everything in the engine bay. injector set up complete, ecu, lambda, loom, coolant sensor, lambda relay, map, vacuum hoses.

the lambda i bought was the one you suggested sprocket, on the spi faq threads - the bosch one.

i think it must be electrical as it cannot be anything else. i cannot see the problem being something like cat gone or too big of an exhaust. there must be a short or an earth somewhere!! im going to take it to a sparks on wednesday, hopefully he can fix it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users