#1 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

Hi all,
I thought I'd get a thread going as I'm gonna need plenty of help on this.
It's a 1977 mini van I purchased about 6 months ago. It has been stripped to a shell so will be a complete nut and bolt resto. Now this is going to be a very slow rebuild as funds but mainly time are very short. My aim is to have it ready for my eldest lads 17th birthday - he's 10 now so like I said gonna be a slow job. Anyway goin to fetch a rollover jig next week so will see what she's like underneath.
These are the only pics I have at the mo ( if this works !!!! )
When I get it on the jig I'll take some more so you guys can tell me what you reckon.

Cheers

DarrenAttached File  image.jpeg   77.75K   27 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   51.32K   18 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   61.2K   16 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   47.02K   12 downloads

#2 cjango

cjango

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: MKP

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hi Darren!

body looks solid, 

great to see another van project. 

#3 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hi cjango

The guy I got it from had had it for 10 years and he did the front as you can see in the pics, but got bored of it so sold it to lucky old me.

I'm hoping that my boys get involved with it but we'll see !!!!

Cheers

#4 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

Looks like a great build. Good luck with it always nice to see another van getting love :)

#5 clarkey31

clarkey31

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

Looks good I have got a couple of van to do for people love them. My boy comes to work and helps out hardest part is make sure you have job they can do to keep them busy and not get bored watching

#6 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

Cheers clarkey31, I know what you mean about them getting bored and as the van is in a unit it's not like they can just pop home to play with their mates !! Warm clothes and iPads that'll keep em entertained :-)

#7 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

Happy new year to all at TMF.

I've stripped the front subframe and took it yesterday to be blasted and powder coated so will hopefully get it back in a week or so.

#8 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

Quick post and a question.
Sorry no pics this time as trying to get to grips with this photobucket thingy !!!!!!!
Any how's I've been degreasing and cleaning all the front subframe parts today ready to be painted , obviously all the old bushes have had it so the question is what are the best new bushes to buy and from where ??

Cheers all

Darren

#9 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

Solid looking project Darren. 

How does it look under the paint? are you going to strip the paint back to metal just to make sure no nasty surprises underneath. 

I've polybushed mine throughout but it depends on what you're going for. 

I tend to buy parts from ebay, minispares and panels from M-Machine but that's just me. (Other companies are available  ;D )

Nice to see another van not far from me either. 

Best of luck. 

Pipe up if you need anything. 

Matt

#10 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hiya Matt,
Cheers for the reply.

Gonna get as much paint off as poss but not getting it blasted or dipped just good old fashioned elbow grease !!

Picked up the rollover jig today so hopefully get that built up the weekend and get some pics for everyone.

I only want it standard really but if polybushes will outlast normal ones then I'd go for them as i want to do it once.
This van won't be concourse and I'm not anal about total originality. I've always owned vans (normal vans) and to me they are a work horse and so will this one be - hopefully use it as an advertising vehicle for my business or give it to my lads as a company van , that's if they want to work for me !!!!!

Hinckley that's not to far I might pop and see ya one day !

Cheers.

#11 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

nice looking project there !! nice to see another van being saved, with bushes ive gone with all standard rubber but have solid mounted the front subframe. hope this helps

Dan

#12 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

Cheers Dan,

So that's 1 for poly and 1 for standard - roll up roll up the next one wins my vote ha ha cheers guys.

#13 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

I got the rollover jig - had to use some timber for the back end as they gave me the wrong size bar but that will be delivered next week.

Got pictures but i need an idiots guide to photobucket because i can only seem to post a link and not the actual pictures !!!!!!

#14 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Looks like a good project. I don't think the doors in the first pic will fit though ;D .

I would go with either rubber or solid mounted. I've gone with solid on my saloon. not many people like the poly one s as they crush and split easily.

Photobucket, upload photos, click on picture, look on the right hand side where there is codes, click and copy the IMG code and then paste it straight into your post.

#15 Scrumpjack

Scrumpjack

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

cheers alex-95.

Ha ha i'll make them doors fit !!!!!

Ok lets see if this photobucket works

Various%20088_zpswc2rxqgf.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic