48 replies to this topic

#31 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

You need to sort the A post to make sure that is straight then either replace the door or repair it. With the A post straight this will then position the door. 

No, its the other way round, fit a good known door then adjust the A post, if you try to straighten the A post with a damaged door fitted how will you know the A post is in the correct position.

#32 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Try measuring the door opening, a tape rule will do, and comparing side to side.

#33 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

You need to sort the A post to make sure that is straight then either replace the door or repair it. With the A post straight this will then position the door. 
No, its the other way round, fit a good known door then adjust the A post, if you try to straighten the A post with a damaged door fitted how will you know the A post is in the correct position.

He already said there was damage to the A post so sorting that first surely should be the first to rectify. The door Defo needs to be either repaired or replaced. I know comparison maintenance is not always a good thing to do but I will chuck some measurements off a good door aperture and door at the OP to give him a fighting chance.

#34 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

Righto three measurements for you.
The first is at the top of the A post where it then starts to angle back. Now this measurement is parallel to the door step and goes to the swage line on the quarter panel. 89.5 cms.
Second measurement parallel to the the door step and from the top hinge hole to the quarter panel is 96cms.
Third measurement parallel to the door step is top hinge hole lower hinge position 96cms.
The first measurement is from the aft edge of the A pillar, the next two measurements are from the hinge side of the A post. I have double checked these against the r/h side where I have physically replaced the inner and outer A post. Both identical measurements.

#35 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

Ok door measurement.
This is on the inside of the door where the window frame exits the door carcass. 86cms.
Next measurement is on the door carcass inside and its from directly on top of the the door catch to the fwd edge of the carcass. 35"s
The same for the lower section.

Now the door skin edge to edge is 94cms directly below the door handle and to the centre of the top hinge the same measurement applies to the lower hinge as well.

#36 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

I will post up pictures of where these were taken tonight when I get back from my workshop

#37 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for that. Pictures would be great, having a hard job understanding all that :-)

I have been out and measured and compared both sides and as I said before, I have 1 cm less on the damaged side, and 1/2 cm too high too the roof

#38 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

I will back out now as the OP is getting conflicting methods and we don't want to confuse him.

#39 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

I will back out now as the OP is getting conflicting methods and we don't want to confuse him.

No don't back out at the end of the day all info helps. I fully understand where you are coming from about fitting a good door to see what has happened but also that damage on the A post on will need to be addressed as well.

#40 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Right some pictures as mentioned earlier.

This is one i did a few years ago and forgot about it

Door%20cutout%20measurements._zpsjbikdkl

Todays efforts, so this one is the top of the A post where it starts to angle back

IMG_5351_zpsah1c3tcn.jpg

The top hinge top hole

IMG_5352_zpsgew79lcb.jpg

The lower mount top hinge hole

IMG_5353_zpss8wu8cqe.jpg

and where they relate to on the quarter panel

IMG_5354_zpskg7spusd.jpg

Inside the door, upper hinge

IMG_5357_zpsb7dqckdw.jpg

lower hinge

IMG_5358_zpsvpko6fud.jpg

Externally

IMG_5355_zpscub4ckpt.jpg

IMG_5356_zpslatq9fn2.jpg

So hopefully these pictures will help to make sense of my previous answers. Sorry i did not take one of where the window frame enters into the main carcass of the door.

#41 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Brilliant, thank you, I will get back to you all with what I measure. Thanks everyone.

Pete.

#42 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

Brilliant, thank you, I will get back to you all with what I measure. Thanks everyone.
Pete.

Glad to help, any more measurements I will be up the workshop the next few days.

#43 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

OK, so I've measured and checked and I'm about 5mm shorter front to back. BUT, I have now removed the scuttle and this is what I found

Attached File  WP_20160211_003.jpg   24.67K   35 downloads

Sonnik4, could you measure left door lip to right door lip ? I don't think it's moved the door lip just this part at the front of the A post.

Thanks

Pete.

#44 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

OK, so I've measured and checked and I'm about 5mm shorter front to back. BUT, I have now removed the scuttle and this is what I found

attachicon.gifWP_20160211_003.jpg

Sonnik4, could you measure left door lip to right door lip ? I don't think it's moved the door lip just this part at the front of the A post.

Thanks

Pete.

Sorry Pete I won't be up the workshop this week. Unfortunately the mini I have in my garage has modified doors so it will not give you a true figure.

#45 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

It's not the doors I need measuring. It's between the lip on one side that the door rubber goes over to the same lip on the other side. I'll put a pic up when I get in
Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users