#16 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

I fear I'm never going to understand the reasons for lowering a car and neg. cambering the wheels so much so that it is almost un-driveable in the real world.

As  a former design engineer and owner of an engineering design business I guess I'm conditioned by the need for a product to be as fit for purpose as possible and to function properly.

To a professional engineer, a heavily cambered car looks all wrong. Again, it's just my background, especially in aviation and proper high-performance cars.

I'm sure someone can explain how this neg. cambering is an advantage ;D .

With you there .. lowered so much they don't pass over speed humps, wheels akimbo with massive negative camber and tyres far too narrow .. why? To me they just look stupid. To make a car handle you need to keep the maximum amount of tread flat on the road, not be running on the edges of the side-walls .. bet they twitch about like a d*&k in a bucket on our roads ...

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Quite right. To do it to a modern car is stupid enough, but to do it to any classic is, to classic car enthusiasts, just sacrilege. Look at that lovely old Mercedes-Benz. It has been ruined. I have driven a few of those and they are beautiful to drive and handle.
But to do that to it is like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.
Do we not owe it to future generations to preserve antiques and classic products.
Still, each to their own.

#18 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Was going to suggest the OP comes along to the local Mini club meet tonight for some expert advice but I see she's in Hastings, New Zealand!

#19 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

The Merc in the picture has the wheels like that because its running air ride suspension and the wheels naturally fold inwards when the air ride isnt being used, or relaxed when parked up...

I'll be honest, I like cars that have negative camber but that Toyota does look a bit silly with that amount of camber....

#20 59 Speed

59 Speed

Formally know as Smackfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

It makes you cool on the internet apparently too
http://noriyaro.com/...car-showdown-2/

noriyaro_kawashima_celica_nagoya_004.jpg

Truly a form over function 'design'!   IMO it looks absolutely gash!
They've ruined that 😩

#21 Lewis-Cross

Lewis-Cross

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

MOD EDIT: TMF DOES NOT TOLERATE ABUSIVE POSTS OR ATTEMPTS TO GET AROUND THE SWEAR FILTER. REPEATED OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL RESULT IN WARNING POINTS OR POSTING BANS BEING ISSUED AS PER TMF RULES.

#22 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Was going to suggest the OP comes along to the local Mini club meet tonight for some expert advice but I see she's in Hastings, New Zealand!

I'm pretty sure there's a club over that way somewhere.

#23 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,040 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

But it looks so b****y stupid :D . I mean I don't mind making a car look stupid if it improves its performance, comfort, road-holding, handling, ability to go over rough roads (like a Land Rover with a high-lift kit), engine smoothness, reliability or economy - or smome of these, but to make a car look stupid and be unsuitable for use is quite beyond my comprehension.

I'm sure there must be some sort of improvement by having huge neg. camber, but I can't see what it might be. Most people modifying any sort of car do it to improve it for their particular use. For example, if you want to drive along very rough tracks you might fit a kit to raise the suspension nd then add tyres with an aggressive tread pattern. For racing you might lower the suspension to get the C of G lower. But what on Earth is improved by having the wheels cambered so as to make the car virtually un-driveable on normal roads, tracks, cross-country or anywhere else really? 

Maybe it's me and I simply don't see the big advantage(s).

#24 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

But it looks so b****y stupid :D . I mean I don't mind making a car look stupid if it improves its performance, comfort, road-holding, handling, ability to go over rough roads (like a Land Rover with a high-lift kit), engine smoothness, reliability or economy - or smome of these, but to make a car look stupid and be unsuitable for use is quite beyond my comprehension.

I'm sure there must be some sort of improvement by having huge neg. camber, but I can't see what it might be. Most people modifying any sort of car do it to improve it for their particular use. For example, if you want to drive along very rough tracks you might fit a kit to raise the suspension nd then add tyres with an aggressive tread pattern. For racing you might lower the suspension to get the C of G lower. But what on Earth is improved by having the wheels cambered so as to make the car virtually un-driveable on normal roads, tracks, cross-country or anywhere else really? 

You dont get "it". Looks wi'ked to ya m8s at the asda carpark ;) 

I think originally the massive neg camber, stretched tyres and lowering was done by drifters in Japan, the lower contact patch, stiffer sidewall and lower cog made the cars easier to initiate into sliding and control them more predictably. But thats one theory going around the internet. Since then its become a fashion thing and as such I have no idea what's the point, I am far too much of a twead wearing fashion imbecile to understand. ;) 

#25 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,040 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

I think originally the massive neg camber, stretched tyres and lowering was done by drifters in Japan, the lower contact patch, stiffer sidewall and lower cog made the cars easier to initiate into sliding and control them more predictably. But thats one theory going around the internet. Since then its become a fashion thing and as such I have no idea what's the point, I am far too much of a twead wearing fashion imbecile to understand. ;) 

You need a green shirt, knitted woollen tie, a tweed jacket, corduroy trousers, Crombey flat cap and brown leather lace-up brogue shoes to really look the part when driving your '50's or '60's classic car. Ideal for driving an early Mini Traveller to the farmers market ;D .

Edited by Cooperman, 06 February 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#26 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

You need a green shirt, knitted woollen tie, a tweed jacket, corduroy trousers, Crombey flat cap and brown leather lace-up brogue shoes to really look the part when driving your '50's or '60's classic car. Ideal for driving an early Mini Traveller to the farmers market ;D .

I think my current twead getup does the job ;) Although I have now got a new flat cap which I will be using for the Goodwood Members Meeting in March. 

11866371_10207369670460619_1828247605469

#27 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,040 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

Oh, I say, absolutely spiffing, what!

I love that 1960's look complete with cravat. To think I wore that sort of get-up when I was young in the late 50's and early '60's and first got into Minis and other 1960's cars. First car was a 1950 Ford 3.6 litre V8 Pilot - Google that for a laugh.

No 'Negative Camber' silliness back then ;D .

#28 samanthamannell

samanthamannell

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Hawkes Bay Mini Club

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

Ah i'm not thinking anything drastic. 1-1.5 degrees. Just to help with cornering. We have windy ass roads. And yes I know minis are already good.

But i do think the small amount of negative camber looks cool with fat tires and when not too overboard (none of the super splattered car looking stuff) - but it's very popular where I live.

I agree it's stupid to have cars so low you can't even handle driving over a speed bump without that awkward little crab walk maneuver and with so much negative camber you can hardly drive them. That's not what I want.

Edited by samanthamannell, 08 February 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#29 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Ah i'm not thinking anything drastic. Just to help with cornering. We have windy ass roads.

But i do think the noticeable negative camber looks cool when not too overboard - very popular where I live.

I am running about -1.5 degs negative camber on mine, I find its got a nice balance of turn in feel and cornering grip. It does however have a noticeable affect on tyre wear so running slightly less would be advisable, I will be putting some camber back on when I get round to getting my suspension setup at work. 

#30 Lewis-Cross

Lewis-Cross

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

MOD EDIT: TMF DOES NOT TOLERATE ABUSIVE POSTS OR ATTEMPTS TO GET AROUND THE SWEAR FILTER. REPEATED OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL RESULT IN WARNING POINTS OR POSTING BANS BEING ISSUED AS PER TMF RULES.

Sorry sweetheart

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users