Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Hawkes Bay Mini Club

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

Hey all

I have a 1978 Austin Leyland 998cc Mini

What can I do to make it faster? What would you recommend? What are the cheapest options?

Cheers,

Sam

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

Hey all

I have a 1978 Austin Leyland 998cc Mini

What can I do to make it faster? What would you recommend? What are the cheapest options?

Cheers,

Sam

Put a 1275 in it.

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

as above & make it lighter

what spec is it now ?

what carb , manifold etc

#4 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

You turbocharge the 998, there are those that are getting 200bhp from turbocharged 998's but it won't be cheap, cheap is fitting an LCB and new exhaust system that flows better then standard and also a new inlet manifold and freer flowing air filter.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

As pointed out fast is expensive, how much have you in mind ? and whats the car going to be used for?

Edited by KernowCooper, 29 February 2016 - 11:53 PM.

#6 samanthamannell

samanthamannell

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Hawkes Bay Mini Club

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:34 AM

Okay can anyone recommend where to get a 1275 engine? Can't seem to find any for sale in NZ.

And are they a direct replacement?

Don't really have a budget in mind just wanting to compare the costs of different ideas as i'm selling my other car soon so will have some more spare cash.

Car will be my everyday but also used for road trips and car meet ups. (Don't want to be left behind)

Cheers

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:34 AM

First of all sort out the suspension and braking system. Set the car to standard ride height, adjust all the suspension settings to give the very best road-holding combined with predictable handling. Make sure the brakes will not fade when the car is driven quickly and that the tyres are top quality. Fit adjustable dampers and set them to suit your type of road conditions. Fit top quality suspension bushes. Ensure the steering is in top condition including rack and track rod ends.

Once that is all done the car will be seriously quicker as it will not be necessary to slow down much at all for most corners. If you can brake later for a corner, go around the corner 10 mph faster and exit the corner 10 mph faster, thus being 10 mph faster all the way down the next straight bit, the car will be, by definition, faster.

Once the car is set up correctly, then you might look at some engine improvements to make the classic Mini, not quite so slow.

#8 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

1) Do a full service on the car and get it tuned up by a professional

2) Fit a "stage 1 kit" or similar, then do step 1

3) Get a performance modified head, camshaft, diff ratio to suit modifications

Or get a 1275 

#9 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

First of all sort out the suspension and braking system. Set the car to standard ride height, adjust all the suspension settings to give the very best road-holding combined with predictable handling. Make sure the brakes will not fade when the car is driven quickly and that the tyres are top quality. Fit adjustable dampers and set them to suit your type of road conditions. Fit top quality suspension bushes. Ensure the steering is in top condition including rack and track rod ends.

Once that is all done the car will be seriously quicker as it will not be necessary to slow down much at all for most corners. If you can brake later for a corner, go around the corner 10 mph faster and exit the corner 10 mph faster, thus being 10 mph faster all the way down the next straight bit, the car will be, by definition, faster.

Once the car is set up correctly, then you might look at some engine improvements to make the classic Mini, not quite so slow.

Totally agree, after all you don't build an extension to your house without first uprating the foundations.

Edited by MRA, 01 March 2016 - 12:48 AM.

#10 inim_repooc

inim_repooc

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: not part of one

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

Minis are not 'fast' cars and they never will be. (Road going anyway) in relation the other things in a similar class then they can be very nippy and you will probably be able to observe plenty of saxos in the rear view with a good 1275 and a suitable FDR. Keep in mind that speed is number and the feeling you get when thrashing a mini down a twisty lane is second to none! As cooperman says, sort the basics then look at a few modest engine upgrades to give it a bit more pep

#11 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:12 AM

Minis are not 'fast' cars and they never will be. (Road going anyway) in relation the other things in a similar class then they can be very nippy and you will probably be able to observe plenty of saxos in the rear view with a good 1275 and a suitable FDR. Keep in mind that speed is number and the feeling you get when thrashing a mini down a twisty lane is second to none! As cooperman says, sort the basics then look at a few modest engine upgrades to give it a bit more pep

Really ?  the amount of turbo and 16v Minis out there will beg to differ...

The fastest Mini round the nuremburg ring is still a classic Mini that had a top speed of almost 200mph.

And then there is this one ... https://www.facebook...xtyFour?fref=ts got to 168mph

Now my question is what do you call fast ???

#12 James_eaton_thewholething

James_eaton_thewholething

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

Sell it and buy something faster 🤔.

Just joking why don't you just tune the 998 one you already have it so don't need to out source anything and that's money you can save to change head, cam, carb, exhaust and inlet manifolds. Then get it setup properley. I would still do what cooperman suggested first. In my stage 1 998 I used to out run some quicker cars on back roads because of the handling and being able to brake later. Still do it now in my 205 gti as its a lot better since I upgraded brake pad material and stiffened the suspension slightly and it made a big difference to how the car handles.

#13 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

If you want to get the sensation of speed, sort of as said above, why not consider keeping the mini and as standard, and buy a sensible 600cc motorbike, you can get some great bargains this time of year. I bought a ZZR1100 last year in 95% perfect condition for £650! Summer on the way etc so now a good time if you need to pass your test, ie not too cold. Just a thought.

I spent a small fortune getting my 1275 rebuilt to 1293 and supercharged (plus supporting brake/suspension/wheel/tyre mods) yes its certainly made the car faster, but had I realised how much it would cost I would have kept it standard 1275 twin carbs and put some of the money into restoring the engine as standard.

With summer and show season round the corner be quick what ever you do!!

#14 inim_repooc

inim_repooc

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: not part of one

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

The fastest Mini round the nuremburg ring is still a classic Mini that had a top speed of almost 200mph.

And then there is this one ... https://www.facebook...xtyFour?fref=ts got to 168mph

talking about daily driver stuff with the a series here.. Sure the turbos are quick but in comparison to really fast cars, not so much

Edited by inim_repooc, 01 March 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#15 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

talking about daily driver stuff with the a series here.. Sure the turbos are quick but in comparison to really fast cars, not so much

What do you call a really fast car ?  sub 4 seconds to 60mph in a Mini isn't bad and that is a road going Mini especially if we are talking for road use they only need to get to 70 mph first and they are then the fastest .....  if you are comparing them to super cars some of them do 0 to 60 in 3 to seconds which isn't that much quicker, if you are talking top end at 200mph+ how many of these cars are there in the real world ?  most people seem to drive mondeo's, focus, astra, etc etc fastest is what 0 to 60 in 5 seconds ?  that means the Mini can be up there with the best, I understand that not everyone Mini will do this but there are quite a few that can and that are used daily.  Not to the same extent as the Mini was used in previous history, unfortunately they stopped making new ones :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users