• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,049 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

As Martin says, 'How fast do you want to go'?

A 998 Mini will cruise at 70+ mph all day long. Even the original 850 would cruise at over 60 mph.

If you want to cruise at 90+ mph for long distances on big main roads a classic Mini, or indeed most classic cars, will leave you disappointed. A 58-year-old design isn't going to be fast, unless you make it so radical it is no longer a classic Mini in spirit or in fact.

The real joy with the classic Mini is the 1960's retro driving experience. By all means give it Cooper 'S' Mk.1 performance with a nice 1275 engine, but if you go too far with the modifications it can become (even more) unreliable and harsh.

Do the suspension & brakes, then slightly improve the engine to give better mid-range torque and it will be a simply delightful car to drive & to own.

#17 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

If you're considering trying to make your car lighter, go on a diet. 

It'd take some effort and cost to reduce my minis weight by the amount I'm over weight

#18 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Podifold is developing a set up for 998's at the moment.

#19 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

I've gone from a 1330 with decent suspension etc to a standard 1981 998.

I've got a good running 1275 under my bench but before I fit it I'm going down the cooperman route and sorting the suspension and brakes etc. I'm also fitting a stage 1 kit and will get it rolling road. If I find it too sluggish I'll source and fit a well flowing 12g940 cylinder head. If that hits the spot I'll be a happy man, I've kept my engine and got a quicker car with a much better suspension and braking set up. If it doesn't come up to speed as it were the head can go on the 1275 and everything else has been done (bar carb perhaps) to get the car in great running order.

#20 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Hi Sam.

From what i can remember from my time out in NZ you haven't got much in the way of motorways, but you do have some brilliant roads that over here in the UK, we'd call 'B' roads......nice twisty country tarmac....and you are lucky, you've got gravel roads also!!!!!!   Rally territory!!!!

If you can get hold of a 1275 engine, that will save you a heap of messing round trying to get your 998 a bit nippier.  But that said, you can make a 998 go quick without much issue.  Stage 1 kit (as mentioned before) is where everyone starts....and usually fits too big an exhaust (i did!!!) that will loose you a bit of power.  The  good cylinder head, or get yours 'worked' by someone who knows what they are doing.....bound to be a kiwi engine tuner who knows A series stuff.

Cams are an overlooked easy power gain, but it will be in specific parts of the rev range, so you may end up loosing low down torque or higher rev's peak power....or vice versa.  Heaps of cam choice out there.

Final Drive - this will make the car feel quicker without the need to add any power.....easy and fairly cheap (if you can find a suitable box or diff).

Weight - don't carry round any fat rugby player mates....if they weigh 100 + Kgs they are adding a huge percentage to the overall weight of the car.....make them walk.   Power to weight ratio is the key, not outright power.

Haydon Paddon is a mini bloke.....maybe he can bring you back a 1275 lump when he returns to the land of the long white cloud.  

Best of luck mate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users