mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

Hi, just bought a Minus Maxi (MARMITE?)

Wondered if there were any other like minded souls out there with one who had any advice/tips (yes I know the good advice is "don't buy one")

Sure I read somewhere that it is:

"The b@stard love child of a Matra Rancho* and a Clubman Estate"

(*ask your Dad)

I'm guessing it would be a small owners club!!!  As far as I can tell from the internet there are only four registered cars - does anybody know how many were made?

Cheers, Mark

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

Need pics of that!

#3 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

You lucky, lucky, so & so :gimme:  .... was this advertised on the 16V Mini Forum? or the one from Portchester Fareham

I've missed out on two many years ago because the owners were Muppets & asking silly money for them.

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

Me likey -

https://www.google.c...We3YFaGgfHVdLM:

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

Bought it last week on ebay.

It is this car:

www.flickr.com/photos/carspottinguk/17484487521

But since that picture someone (who I can only think was drunk at the time) has given it a bizarre paint job so I'm a little reluctant to post any pictures just yet - but will take some for the before and after shots

Hoping to make it to Stanford Hall with it looking something like - I won't say finished as that is a word I don't think you can apply to a mini project!.

I might post some more on here as a project but I'm not that skilled so it would look rough compared to some of the excellent stuff people do

Mark

#6 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

eBay last week! How on earth did i miss that?

Need to get my MPI Sportspack re-commissioned (& sell at least one unfinished project) so i wouldn't have bid on it anyway.

(Superficially) it looks like it's in better condition than any i've ever seen for sale before, if i wasn't so far away i'd have come & given you a hand as it's nice to find someone who might actually do one up rather than stripping it for bits & trying (failing) to flog the shell for a small fortune.

#7 minusone

minusone

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hi ,that's my handy work I got it back on the road about year and half ago didn't want to sale it really but didn't have the cash for a new engine ,its in book two maximum mini page 80. Stuart.

#8 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

Ok so progress is way slower than I would like (and no I won't make Stanford Hall - well not 2016 but hopefully 2017 at least!)

How I envy those people who seem to be able to spend every waking moment in the garage - my life is taken up with entertaining the wife (steady!), walking the dog, keeping my 3 kids' bangers mobile, looking after the other two minis, washing the wife's Z4, washing the company car (rules!), DIY, gardening, housework, playing football ......oh and work of course, so have not spent as much time as needed to make good progress

Here are some pictures to keep people happy as I know I like looking at the pictures although I like to read posts also

Attached File  DSCF1545.JPG   338.35K   125 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1546.JPG   321.57K   31 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1547.JPG   324.28K   68 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1548.JPG   306.72K   38 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1549.JPG   346.01K   33 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1550.JPG   349.71K   25 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1551.JPG   295.62K   41 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1552.JPG   294.35K   27 downloads

These are pictures as purchased

#9 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:11 PM

So a couple more pictures as I have stripped most of the "interior" and the engine out plus the wiring.

Now I know fibreglass cars need a bit more wire for earth returns, but this was a real bag of spaghetti plus there were some things I am not sure are that good, such as the twisted wires and soldering all four terminals of a fuse box together.....

At least it was done by a skilled electrician, unfortunately domestic not automotive judging by the amount of brown, blue and yellow/green wires?

Attached File  DSCF1577.JPG   384.02K   20 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1576.JPG   377.64K   17 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1578.JPG   402.02K   32 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1579.JPG   332.07K   12 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1580.JPG   351.74K   17 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1581.JPG   365.36K   15 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1582.JPG   353.32K   11 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1583.JPG   382.7K   13 downloads

#10 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:26 AM

OK, so it's not the fastest progress in the world.... but at least it's moving forward :-).

#11 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

So ugly. So cool! :)

#12 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Got "marmite" back from the body shop last week - progress likely to be slow for a while as I have to do decorating now  :ohno: but as its likely to be pretty chilly in my garage for the next couple of months I suppose thats best done now and then I can really crack on getting it back together although whether I can get it done for any of the shows this year........

Think it looks (slightly) less weird without the "urban" paint job but it will always be a bit of an oddball

Thought I would also post a couple of pics of my other minis just to show I'm not all about weirdness

Apologies for the iPhone/windows picture orientation conflict - if you click on the thumbnail the picture will open correctly aligned in windows (I think)

Attached Files

#13 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:36 AM

Looking good so far.... will look so much better when you get the Tahiti metallic blue topcoat on it :P

What's the plan for the wheels & interior?

#14 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

It's Audi Nardo grey (or primer grey if you like!!)

Wheels - I think it has to be steels - I've got a set of 5.5 x 10 four spoke Wellers that might go or get some standard mini steels banded to 6 inch (yes I have read all the tosh/sensible engineering discussion about banded wheels) or I might look out for some 13 inch eight spoke Wellers - I reckon larger wheels than 10's might suit it better?

Interior.....well there is none and its a blank canvas so I don't know - probably quite conventional as interior is probably the hardest thing to get right

#15 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

Looks great, jealous. Was desperate for the blue one that went on ebay the other week but had to put my sensible head on :shy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users