fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

Heater hoses -
On both the micra and mini the top hose on the heater connects to the cylinder head. The bottom heater hose connects to the bottom radiator to pump hose.
Is it important that they are connected like this?
If it needs to go this way then the top hose will have a tight double back over the heater box.

I made an aluminium plate similar to the blanking plate for LHD clutch and brake and then cut a couple of holes for the hose fittings out of this:

http://www.t7design....3-4-narrow.html

then went to the local auto parts place to find a couple of hoses the right diameter and shape (straight with a 90 degree bend on one end).

the heater was also from T7:

http://www.t7design....-vents-12v.html

this way no holes in the firewall required  ;D

#17 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Heater hoses -
On both the micra and mini the top hose on the heater connects to the cylinder head. The bottom heater hose connects to the bottom radiator to pump hose.
Is it important that they are connected like this?
If it needs to go this way then the top hose will have a tight double back over the heater box.

I made an aluminium plate similar to the blanking plate for LHD clutch and brake and then cut a couple of holes for the hose fittings out of this:
http://www.t7design....3-4-narrow.html

then went to the local auto parts place to find a couple of hoses the right diameter and shape (straight with a 90 degree bend on one end).

the heater was also from T7:
http://www.t7design....-vents-12v.html

this way no holes in the firewall required  ;D

That's a neat solution! I could use the old hole for the clutch master cylinder as I'm using cable and the one for left hand drive clutch for the other side.
Still doesn't help me with the direction of the hoses though as the top one on the heater needs to go over to the left of the car.
I am making up a new water pipe in stainless from the pump to bottom radiator hose so i can tap into this anywhere for the bottom heater hose.

#18 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Flow direction doesn't matter for the heater.

Years ago I flipped the matrix over and drilled holes in the passenger side of the heater to make the plumbing neater

#19 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

That's what forums are for. Pointing out that your missing the obvious! Turning the matrix over should solve all my problems.

I bent up a pipe for the radiar to pump. Fits a treat but still needs brackets welded on.

20160603_234943.jpg

It's time to put all this aside and start stripping for finishing the subframe and painting everything. But before i do that i need to work out the brake flexi brackets. I have to build all the suspension up on one side to work this out which is a pain. Better to get it right.

Has anyone had to modify the right hand driveshaft hole in the subframe?

#20 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

I have had to pull in the engine breather tube closer to the engine block so that it misses my exhaust manifold.  Cut it and soldered on a brass sleeve.

20160609_234017.jpg

I have about 12mm clearance between the rubber and the manifold.  Hopefully this will be enough to stop the rubber burning.

20160609_233639.jpg

#21 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

You could always slip some insulation sleeve over the pipe.

#22 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

There might be enough space to tack a tiny stainless heatshield on the back of number 4 pipe. It won't be seen from the front.

#23 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

You could always slip some insulation sleeve over the pipe.

Sleeve over exhaust or breather pipe?

I was trying to avoid wrapping my lovely shiny manifold. (I know, I know!).
Our Formula Student team just threw out some exhaust wrap and i think it's still in the bin. Let's hope i get to it before the cleaner empties the bin.

#24 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

Sleeve over the breather pipe

This sort of stuff

https://goo.gl/images/rvF5r6

#25 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

That would work.
It's the rubber hose that's the problem. My other alternative is to make the steel pipe longer and shorten the rubber hose so that it's clear of the manifold.

Ordered two new crankshaft seals and need a new clutch.
I'm in work tomorrow to replace a track rod end on my Volvo so should get my subframe finished welding and ready for painting. If there is time after that then I will lighten my flywheel.

#26 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Flywheel lightening

I had a go at lightening the flywheel and got it down to 5.63kg.  I can still take a bit off the front face and probably get it down to nearer the 5kg mark.  As this is a road car I wasn't chasing every last gramme and I think it will be a big improvement (from what I've read about Micras with lightened flywheels).

I was thinking about balancing it myself but I have found a place locally that will do it for about 30 quid.

20160620_183645.jpg

I had a bit of a spending spree yesterday and bought -

New sump - old one is rusty

New sump end seals - leaking at the gearbox end

Sump sealant - Dirko as I read it was pretty good

New LUK clutch

I have started modifiying my inner wing for alternator clearance.  More photos when it's finished.

#27 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

I have just had another look at the front of the flywheel and there is not much to be taken off.
5.63kg it is then!

#28 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

Inner wing mod
I had been hoping to complete this conversion without body modifications. If i wanted to fit my tiny 40amp Kubota alternator at the front then i needed to modify the inner wing. Using a shrinker stretcher i made up a panel that puts a pocket in the inner wing. I hope i got the sizes right or there's going to be lots of swearing when i try to fit the alternator.
Time to see if there is any gas in my wee mig.

20160621_215103.jpgURL=http://s122.photobuc...14913.jpg.html]20160621_214913.jpg[/URL]

#29 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

I'd love to hear your impressions on the lightened flywheel I'm thinking of doing the same so please report back.

The panel you're making for the wing looks good too, so much nicer than just cutting a big hole.  :mrcool:

#30 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the lightened flywheel I'm thinking of doing the same so please report back.

The panel you're making for the wing looks good too, so much nicer than just cutting a big hole.  :mrcool:

It's going to be difficult to determine any improvement from the flywheel mod as there are lots of other mods (mostly to the breathing) going in at the same time. From all that i have read on Micra forums they respond well to a lighter flywheel. I'm still a good while from finding out!

I wasn't looking forward to the wing mod but it's gone pretty well so far. By the time im finished it will look like it came fromm the factory like that!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users