184 replies to this topic

#46 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Why didn't you just put a hole the exact size of the unthreaded part of the pin?
I'll get a photo of mine later.

#47 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

Why didn't you just put a hole the exact size of the unthreaded part of the pin?

I didnt have the right size cutter, so milled the hole first and turned the pins to match exactly.

#48 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

I couldn't find an MPI tank at a reasonable price so I bought an SPI tank and was hoping to change the pump for the Micra one.
I still can't get my head round having 12v power inside a petrol tank!

I have one for sale. Spi has lower pump pressure

Hi there, just saw this. Complete mpi tank with pump? Sounds good, pm me a pic etc. Cheers.

Edited by micraminiman, 29 August 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#49 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

Busy day in the garage working on my Micra Subframe, welding on the plates I made for mounting the bottom arms, and also trying the complete hub assemblies on to check the fit.

Had to modify one of the subframe arms to clear the tie rod on the drivers side a bit. Not a problem tho and it's all fine now.
Waiting on my adjustable tie rods to arrive next, and then plate up the tie rod mounts at the front and get it tried on the shell again with the engine in it, to line it all up for making the engine mounts.

Attached Files

#50 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

I didnt have the right size cutter, so milled the hole first and turned the pins to match exactly.

What I was trying to explain is that you could have made the pin more like a bolt that clamps the bottom arm between the new part you welded in and the rear of the tower (existing hole).  This should be much stronger than what I think you have done.  Yours looks like the head of the pin is a "loose" fit in the part you welded in?

bottom%20arm.jpg

#51 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

Then it would have been the thickness of the plate too narrow if I used the original pins. I did think about making a whole new pin, or just using a bolt, but where is the fun in that? ;-) 

Besides, its now a nice neat flush-fit in the plate with nothing sticking out.

I just made it the same as it was originally and a fit into a hole with a key. I machined the hole to 28mm, and reamed it. The pin was then turned to a nice close tolerance fit and its perfect.  Others have done it exactly the same and have had no issues.

Hopefully mine will be the same! lol

#52 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Yes. I was going to turn the weld off the end of the pin and move the washer bit out by the thickness of the metal.

Should all be good as it is same as original.

#53 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hope so! Its all a nice fit on the frame anyway.

Need to get these new tie rods home now so I can finish the front mounts. I decided that the nylon bushes I used to use for the racing are too hard for road use, and have ordered poly bushes for there as well. The joys of being so remote, the waiting time!

#54 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Busy evening again.
New adjustable tie rods fitted onto the Mini's subframe, and the frame fitted onto the shell to test it's fit.
The Micra engine went in next to see how it all fits together. Looks nice in its new home, far better than in a Nissan..... ;-)

Attached Files

#55 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Exhaust flange laser cut by danST Engineering. Another bit of the jigsaw ready to work on.....

Attached Files

#56 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Where would I buy some bends and pipe to make the exhaust manifold from online?

#57 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Most micra conversions use the rover k series manifold with the flange changed. I have read of a vw polo manifold being used. I went for a Peugeot 206 stainless manifold modified to fit a new stainless flange (it was cheap on ebay).
I worked out it was cheaper to modify than to make new.

#58 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

All the K series manifolds I can see are cast lumps. Is there one specific model that is mild steel maybe?

I had planned on making one out of mandrel bent exhaust tubing or similar.

Thanks.

#59 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'm not sure which K series one others are using but I do remember they cut the flange off and weld up the join.  You might need to search through some other build threads.

Technically just about any tubular manifold that kicks over to the correct side could be made to fit.  You need to decide if you want 4-1 or 4-2-1 and have a look through Ebay.  I searched for "stainless exhaust manifold" and filtered it down to auctions only.  then just sit tight until one comes up at the right price.

This is roughly what I have bit it still needs final TIG welding after the engine is in.

20151029_232138.jpg

#60 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Very nice! Must keep an eye out right enough. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users