#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

Is the "Landcrab" the Austin Maxi? Remember, those were never sold over here so the concept of using this engine in something else really doesn't exist, and I doubt it's cost effective to send them back across the pond.How much heavier than a Mini engine were they? I think a Mini is about 325lbs.....

The land crab was older but similar but had a boot. Austin 1800/2200

https://en.m.wikiped.../wiki/BMC_ADO17

#18 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

Is the "Landcrab" the Austin Maxi? Remember, those were never sold over here so the concept of using this engine in something else really doesn't exist, and I doubt it's cost effective to send them back across the pond.How much heavier than a Mini engine were they? I think a Mini is about 325lbs.....

Sorry. Didn't notice your location.
A maxi must be even rarer than a mini over there.

The maxi and the 1800/2200 (land crab) shared the same doors but other than that they didn't have much in common. My mum loved driving the 2200. Even she could see the comparison with the mini.

The Landcrab evolved into the Austin Princess. A big wedge shaped thing that you could watch rusting in front of your eyes!

#19 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

Someone over here has an Austin Princess limo for sale with the transverse 6 cylinder engine- first one I ever saw! They want way too much money for it, but it looked pretty cool....

#20 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

There would be a challenge, fitting a 6 cylinder transverse engine in a Mini? It must be a tight squeeze even in a Princess.

One of the reasons for the almost universal change to the inferior McPherson strut suspension is that it allows longer engines than does a wishbone setup.

The Princess was a greatly under-rated car thanks to bad press reports. Strange how they never berated a certain BMW convertible with woefully inadequate torsional stiffness or a Mercedes of about 15 years ago that was prone to front hub/brake fires, amongst various other highly unsatisfactory vehicles. Yet they ruined the Princess, and many other British models, some of which were actually quite good. Then they invented "Mondeo Man", which must have cost Ford lots of sales.

#21 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

I haven't heard any more about this car, I think he's going to fix it himself.....I dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users