Photo
- - - - -

Ignition Coil - How To Check If Ignition In Car Is Ballasted Or Standard?

electrical

Best Answer zero_wlv , 13 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

Yes,  it certainly does sound as though your front loom has both ballast wire (WHITE/PINK) and standard wire (WHITE) built in,  factory-fitted as standard.

When I was having problems with my ignition system and googling around for info,   I remember reading that when ballast systems were first fitted,  BOTH wires were included in the loom as standard for a couple of years,  even though only the ballast wire was used.    After that, the standard white wire was omitted.   (Sorry,  can't find the link to that info).

So there was a short window period of a couple of years during which the loom came equipped with both as standard;  you can fit either a ballast coil or a non-ballast coil as you wish,  providing you make sure to get the right wire.

This link from minispares http://www.minispare...-to-sports-coil   says that all 998cc Minis from 1982 onwards had ballast systems fitted,  although it doesn't say when the standard 12V white wire was dropped from the loom.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 checo

checo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum &  need some help here with my ignition problem.

The ignition coil in my 1986 Mini is getting very hot. I checked it with multimeter and found it is a ballasted one since is giving me 1.5 ohms of resistance. Other reading gives me 9V at on position at the coil. There is also a white/pink double wire in the + terminal at the coil, so everything indicates me that I have a ballasted coil and should have a ballasted ignition in car.

However ignition coil is getting very hot when running and it's relative new. I'm suspecting that the ignition somehow is no longer a ballasted one.

How can I check if my car has a true ballasted ignition? Or somewhere, sometime  has been modified.

I read that there should be a resistor somewhere but I can't find it in the engine bay. Can it be somewhere else?

Car runs fine, but worry to have other  probs with this hot coil issue or it's normal to be very hot that can't touch it?

Car is:

1986 Austin Mini (Mayfair markings but not sure is a Mayfair model)

LHD

Thank you in advance for your help.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

Best advice is to remove the pink/white wire and re-wire with a normal white wire. then change to a 12v coil.

That pink/white wire can burn out and when it does it takes all the front loom with it. it's not known as "that effing pink wire" for nothing.

I have had the task of repairing two of these and each time it took me about 5 to 6 hours and a lot of new wire.

#3 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

"I read that there should be a resistor somewhere but I can't find it in the engine bay."

Rather than having something which looks like a resistor,  it's far more common to have a "ballast wire",  which looks just like any other wire,  except for being a bit chunkier.    It has a higher resistance than normal automotive wire.    The total length of the wire (it runs from the ignition switch to the coil) will be just the right length to provide about 1.5 ohms resistance.  

If you have any doubts that the PINK/WHITE wire really is a ballast wire,  turn the ignition off,  and place a multimeter between the positive terminal of the coil and the terminal on the fuse box which has the white 'ignition' wire on it.     The reading should be 1.5 ohms or thereabouts.    If it were standard automotive wire,   the resistance would be negligible   (a fraction of an ohm).

(The following is from Wiring diagram 18 in Haynes manual,   which applies to 1988-on carburettor models.    I believe this applies to any Mini with a factory standard ballast set-up,  but check with the appropriate wiring diagram first).

The easiest way to tell if you have a "ballast wire" set up is to check that there are TWO wires connected to the positive terminal of the coil  (on some coils,  e.g. Ducellier,  the positive terminal is labelled '15').   One will be PINK/WHITE - this is the ballast wire which acts as a 1.5 ohm resistor,  and runs directly from the ignition switch.    On my Mini,  it also had "resistive" printed on the wire every couple of inches.   The other will be WHITE/YELLOW  -  this is the standard non-resistive wire which runs from the solenoid  -  it only operates when the starter motor operates.

Regardless of whether you have a 'ballast' or 'non-ballast' set-up,  there will be a WHITE/BLACK wire connected to the negative terminal of the coil  (on Ducellier coils,  the negative terminal is labelled '1').    

Because these ballast wires have a bad reputation,  some replacement ballast coils come with their own ceramic resistor which can optionally replace the ballast wire  (you would bypass the whole ballast wire by connecting a new length of automotive wire  -  of the correct AWG rating  -  between the positive terminal of the coil and the ignition spade on the fusebox  -  the ceramic resistor would be placed somewhere along the length of this new wire).    For example,  I know some or all Lumenition ballast coils come with their own ceramic resistor.

All 1986 998cc Minis came factory-fitted with a ballast wire and ballast coil,  but bear in mind that many will have been converted over the years to have a non-ballast coil   (the ballast wire will have either been bypassed or removed entirely).

As Cooperman says,  it's probably safer to fit a standard 3 ohm 12V non-ballast coil.    It's very simple  -  you just have to disregard the WHITE/YELLOW and PINK/WHITE wires which are probably currently connected to your ballast coil  (tape them up safely out of the way).    You then have to run a new wire  (check for the appropriate current rating) directly from the positive terminal of the coil to the ignition switch  (fusebox is the most convenient place  -   the terminal that the white ignition wire goes to  -  there should be a spare terminal immediately above it).     Nothing changes about the WHITE/BLACK wire,   just connect it to the negative terminal as before.

If you really want to keep using a ballast coil,  buy one which comes with a free ceramic resistor and use that instead of the factory-standard ballast wire.

Edited by zero_wlv, 09 September 2016 - 09:08 PM.

#4 checo

checo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:36 PM

Thank you both Cooperman & Zero. I will take a closer look to everything this weekend.

It's probably that the pink/white wire is no longer effective, if so then I will try to replace it along with a standard coil.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

Trace the pink/white wire back to where it starts and cut if off completely. From memory there is a short length of white/black to which it is joined near the front bulkhead. Join the new wire there with insulated bullet connectors and run it to the new 12v coil.
Just leave the pink/white in the loom as it is 'dead'.
It sounds like your pink/white wire is past its best so do the job now before your front loom gets damaged with a capital 'F'.

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

The ballast wire will not have lost its resistance, unless it has been shortened, or replaced by an ordinary wire of the same colour. I suspect that it burnt out at some stage and someone did exactly that, not knowing that it was not ordinary wire. The other possibility is that the other wire, which provides the 12V feed from the solenoid to bypass the ballast wire during starting, has been connected to the wrong place and is bypassing the ballast wire all the time that the ignition is on.

But in any case it is best to convert to an unballasted system as already comprehensively described. That will get rid of the problem for ever, unless you live in a really cold place, where starting could be difficult.

If you are curious, you could remove the ballast bypass wire and see if the supposedly ballast wire does get warm, as it is supposed to. If not, it is normal wire.

#7 checo

checo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:19 AM

Well, after a detailed review of everything I think I found the reason of this misconfiguration in my Mini.

I Checked all the wiring from/to the coil and found the following multimeter readings:

• One lead of meter to the White/Pink wire (disconnected from coil) & the other meter lead to the fusebox (battery disconnected) and ignition switch in ON position: 1.6ohms - So I assume the wiring is ballasted.
  • Coil with no wires but multimeter in both LT+ & LT- terminals: 1.5ohms
  • One lead of meter to The White/Yellow wire  (disconnected from coil) & other meter lead to earth: 0.01ohms (so no resistance) - which is correct, right?

Now, after reading your comments & checking the Haynes #18 wiring diagram, there should be ONLY 4 wires to the coil  as:

• Tandem of double White/Black wire form LT - terminal (Tach & Distributor)
  • White/Pink from LT+ to Ignition Switch
  • White/Yellow to Starter Solenoid

Correct?

Then I found a 5th wire connected to the LT+ terminal at coil (¿?)  So why is there an all White wire there? I called this the "culprit" wire.

On measuring this wire, there is no resistance between this wire and the fusebox, so I think is a straight 12v wire. The strangest thing is that this all White wire is built into car's loom. The only explanation that I have for this is that this loom have a non-ballast option, so you can connect either a standard coil or a ballast one. Is the only explanation I made to myself for this issue, since there is no documentation about this option.

So, I already remove this all White wire from coil and tape it as a dead wire and leave only the original 4 wires for a ballast coil. I hope that this issue will solve the extreme hot coil I was experimenting.

However I already order a standard coil in case this reconfiguration doesn't work and then convert my system to a non-balasted one with new single wire.

Does this make sense?

Any other recommendations?

Thnx

#8 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:59 AM   Best Answer

Yes,  it certainly does sound as though your front loom has both ballast wire (WHITE/PINK) and standard wire (WHITE) built in,  factory-fitted as standard.

When I was having problems with my ignition system and googling around for info,   I remember reading that when ballast systems were first fitted,  BOTH wires were included in the loom as standard for a couple of years,  even though only the ballast wire was used.    After that, the standard white wire was omitted.   (Sorry,  can't find the link to that info).

So there was a short window period of a couple of years during which the loom came equipped with both as standard;  you can fit either a ballast coil or a non-ballast coil as you wish,  providing you make sure to get the right wire.

This link from minispares http://www.minispare...-to-sports-coil   says that all 998cc Minis from 1982 onwards had ballast systems fitted,  although it doesn't say when the standard 12V white wire was dropped from the loom.

#9 checo

checo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:47 PM

So, I've corrected the "5th" white wire issue on LT+ coil terminal and after taken the Mini for a spin, the coil get warm,hot, but not extremely hot and is hand touchable. Thanks everybody for your help.

#10 Pairaminis

Pairaminis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

Just to clarify: Are both the pink/white and the white/yellow wires to be removed from the coil - as mentioned earlier in this thread - when a new appropriate gauge white wire is run from the fuse box to a replacement non-ballast 12V coil? 

#11 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yes, remove from circuit the white/pink ballast resistor and white/yellow ballast bypass and run a new plain white wire. Actually leaving the white/pink connected would do no harm as it will be bypassed by the new wire, but it is best out to avoid confusion in future. Don't literally drag them out, just put them away from the terminals and insulate them with tape or heatshrink so they can be reinstated in future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users