Photo
- - - - -

Incompetent ? Dishonest ? Does The Mini Have To Equal Rubbish Parts And Rubbish Service ?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

which got modifying classic cars banned in Germany

NOT CORRECT

it is still legal to modify your cars.

loads of body kitted Minis out there, loads of Minis with different engines. and even a twin cam sprint roadster being built.

it does require the cars been fully checked over etc but it is no way near banned.

#17 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

Maybe He confused germany with Belgium

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

Maybe He confused germany with Belgium

The flags are similar.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

Just to add to the list of complaints - Radiators.

Purchased from one of the biggest UK Suppliers

DSCN0735_zps80241a0b.jpg

I've bought 5 of these over the past couple of years. EVERY one cracked on the sides

The steel is such a thin gauge for the weight and vibration they need to deal with and the shape of these cup out just ask them to crack.

Also, every one of these leaked from the core, not from a soldered joint but from a tube or in the case of some of them, a few tubes in random places. The gauge of the copper is just so thin, especially compared to the originals.

Edited by Moke Spider, 12 September 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#20 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

It seems that my information, based on events in 2012, is now obsolete. Apparently the politicians did a face-saving about turn and pretended that the original plan was to exempt old cars from the MOT or equivalent. That is a lie, it is not what they intended at all, but for now we seem to be fairly safe, given that Brexit should be happening and the UK has a higher percentage of GDP derived from classic and modified cars than just about anywhere else. The political fallout of all the job losses would have been unacceptable, and there is no suggestion that the UK government was against classic cars in any way. (Low emission zones are another problem altogether....)

But there were scumbags involved, who are still there, working against what they purport to represent, and that is the international organisation FIVA, who aim to keep all classic cars truly original. Our British FBHVC is clearly on our side.

I do apologise for getting this wrong. Last I heard was that the new arrangements were already in place in Germany and a couple of other countries. Then I went into hospital, and must have missed the plan falling flat on its face.

But watch out for Mercedes and their cronies. They make a fortune from making "genuine" spares (possibly of entirely different material, such as asbestos-free brake pads, illegal under the proposed legislation, while asbestos is rightly illegal) for their older and mediocre vehicles. They really do not like parts to be substituted by modern equivalents, and the motivation is pure profit, nothing to do with road safety. They do have the ear of many EU politicians, however their influence here is somewhat less.

I am wondering if the law as it now stands in the UK means that the requirement for an IVA test as a result of certain modifications is actually illegal. Only a lawyer would understand the mess of opposing legislation. But I think that the Australian process is what we need anyway, a competent engineer having to approve all major modifications. Bye-bye flip fronts, excessive lowering, and all the other safety-undermining excesses of incompetent modifications by unskilled people.

It would also make sense for all safety critical parts to have to be type approved. Bye-bye the purveyors of sub-standard wheel bearings for a start.

#21 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

Name and shame

#22 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

Name and shame

I think before we get to that, Monty has invited all these suppliers to come here, see and read for themselves our 'issues'.

I'm hope that they will pay attention, take heed and resolve these issues in a professional manner and hold their reputations in tact without the need to name a shame.

If however they turn their noses up at issues, then I read that as a sign of arrogance and lack of regard for their customers - yeah, then open the flood gates and let them have it, both with barrels.

#23 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

Name and shame

I think before we get to that, Monty has invited all these suppliers to come here, see and read for themselves our 'issues'.

I'm hope that they will pay attention, take heed and resolve these issues in a professional manner and hold their reputations in tact without the need to name a shame.

If however they turn their noses up at issues, then I read that as a sign of arrogance and lack of regard for their customers - yeah, then open the flood gates and let them have it, both with barrels.

It was done in jest.....  But I think we all know that there not going to do that !!!!

I think I know which companies they are any hows,

#24 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:53 PM

I've said it for years.  mini owners looking to maintain/restore their cars on a non-existent/reluctant budget are to blame for the drop in quality in my opinion.  If more people buy the £10 wheel bearing than the £40 wheel bearing, what are the suppliers most likely to favour?  The £10 of course, even if its crap!  

#25 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:48 PM

I don't get it.

Why are you all not just saying who the companies are?

If the problems are this bad then you really need to start publicizing the issues that are so prevalent.

As a new mini owner these things are very worrying to hear. I would've thought with the perceived eccentricity and love that mini owners show for their cars that the parts industry surrounding it would've evolved to the point where the original perception of minis being filled with cheap and unreliable parts are replaced with a superior aftermarket choice.

Naming and shaming is the only potential way to get it clear to companies providing aftermarket parts that this cannot stand. I just dropped 300 quid on parts for a mini that's been in my possession for less than three days. I understand that this hobby is not a particularly cheap or glamorous one but good god guys you need to put your big boy pants on and stop anonymizing companies that are taking you through the ringer.

*Literally* no-one in this thread has had the balls to say a single company name. If you want to be taken seriously then you'll have to do better than that.

Edited by AeroNotix, 12 September 2016 - 11:49 PM.

#26 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:39 AM

I'm not sure about in the UK, but here in Australia people have been taken to court for one-sided defamatory posts on forums where they have damaged the reputation of companies. Yes, it may be true, but without the other party having an input it is hard to determine the actual events that take place.

I agree that most mini shops I've used have made mistakes in the past, some small and some bigger. Every time I've called them up the problem has been sorted out very smoothly and easily. It can be easy to go to a forum to vent your anger/disgust/disappointment at a company when a simple phone call can clear up the problem most times. 

Do we also need to have a thread where every time your order comes through on time and correctly you add a post to thank them? I'd say most suppliers get it right 99% of the time, and the only time we hear about them is when they make a mistake... I bought some items yesterday afternoon at 4:30PM and they were delivered first thing this morning from a shop 1300km away, now that is great service!

Edited by timmy850, 13 September 2016 - 04:42 AM.

#27 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

I Have 0 problems with suppliers who supply a bad Part, BUT. If you supply a bad Part, if there is a problem , you should Have a good customer service. I had damaged items before from minispares, I called and showed pics and got New parts.

Cant Be Said for All suppliers..http://www.theminifo...nifold-quality/

#28 Steve-O 2014

Steve-O 2014

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

I have also had the issue with packaging into small boxes with Gaskets folded over and creased to fit them in

Also deformed rubber gaskets...

#29 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

I'm not sure about in the UK, but here in Australia people have been taken to court for one-sided defamatory posts on forums where they have damaged the reputation of companies. Yes, it may be true, but without the other party having an input it is hard to determine the actual events that take place.

Timmy, for the most part, that's just a convenient BS line that the biased (mini) Aust Forum operator / owners hide behind. It is well known that they are there representing the interests of a few businesses and nothing more with the facade that they are a coff coff free and public forum - sure,,,,,, Yes, there's been idol chatter about being sued and law suits etc, but really, have any actually been sued?  I am aware that various hollow threats (which have only amounted to words, not even letters) to sue have been made from time to time and in the case of say Whirlpool (not a mini forum) the case did not succeed in court and the fools that tried that stunt on were ordered to pay Whirlpools costs.

Edited by Moke Spider, 13 September 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#30 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Nobody wants a witch-hunt, but the reputation of a retailer is based on the customers experience when things go wrong, not when everything is going well. I've spent most of my life as a retailer of various goods and I know that customers can just as devious and dishonest as anyone else in the supply chain. Most of the time the retailer is not to blame for faulty goods, but they are legally responsible under present trading standards. I am also a customer and if someone gets a raw deal from a supplier I want to know about it so that I can think twice about using that same supplier. But I cant do that if I don't know the name of the supplier, or do I just not buy from anyone that fits the description of, "well known Mini parts supplier". I say name and shame!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users